Interesting historical book about the Russian Snowman..

Whistler

Heya,

Ran across this website while browsing for new & interesting bigfoot reads. Hope y'all enjoy, and have a Great Weekend!

https://sites.google.com/site/kriptologos/nasa-produkcia/specialnaa-literatura-na-anglijskom-azyke/in-the-footsteps-of-the-russian-snowman

In the footsteps-ум.jpg

..another link with historical info about the Russian Yeti :)

Russian Yeti

Cheers!

Edited by Whistler

Wow, is that cover illustration a piece of artwork someone made way, way back when? Those are clearly two hairy people in the middle there. Wow!

Hey LeafTalker,

I'm not sure who did the artwork, but I definitely agree with you on those being two hairy creatures on the cover..

Cheers!

I remember watching the documentary on TV a few years ago. As I recall, there were originally ten students but one had to drop out after a few days and turned back. I thought he became ill.

I think a few of the students were found in a pit, some distance from the campsite and without any winter clothes. 

What I remember about the mention of the snowman was the investigators finding a three word passage in a diary saying "the snowman exists." 

• 4 weeks later...

They were found dead from traumatic injuries roughly in a line going from their tent which was in the open snow in to a wooded area.  It appeared that something caught them one at a time as they ran away from their tent in to the woods and methodically killed them.  The last ones were found in a creak and I believe one of them had their tongue ripped out.  There is a very good picture of a Yeti spying on them that was found on their camera if you believe the documentary.

I don't know if they found a yeti or not, but based on what it did to them, whoever or whatever they ran into, it doesn't seem much like a "giant forest friend", does it?

MIB

• Upvote 3

My understanding is that the military had been there just recently -- days or weeks before -- shooting up the place, killing Yeti.

That's a loooooot of provocation.

Yeah, some of them might have less forbearance, after that.

1 hour ago, LeafTalker said:

My understanding is that the military had been there just recently -- days or weeks before -- shooting up the place, killing Yeti.

That's a loooooot of provocation.

Yeah, some of them might have less forbearance, after that.

I have never heard that before.

Where did you read that tidbit?

I looked into this a while ago and don't remember where I read that. 

However, I went poking around in a few places just now and found some interesting citations from Wikipedia and one other source. They both suggest that there were traces of radiation on some of the bodies, and that the government had been using weaponry called "parachute mines" in that area around the time of the incident. (A parachute mine is evidently a type of explosive that detonates just before it hits the ground.) One source said that the investigation into the incident was shut down as soon as information about the radiation emerged. Both articles mention the investigators (and other parties) were intimidated by the authorities. 

I'll quote some of this stuff below. And look for one stunning little detail at the end.... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Military tests

Some people believe it was a military accident which was then covered up; there are records of parachute mines being tested by the Russian military in the area around the time the hikers were there.[citation needed] Parachute mines detonate a meter or two before they hit the ground and produce similar damage to those experienced by the hikers, heavy internal damage with very little external trauma. There were also glowing orbs reported in the sky in that general vicinity, possibly caused by such ordnance.

Aftermath

Anatoly Gushchin (Russian: Анатолий Гущин) summarized his research in the book The Price of State Secrets Is Nine Lives (Цена гостайны – девять жизней).[4] Some researchers criticized the novel due to its concentration on the speculative theory of a Soviet secret weapon experiment, but its publication led to public discussion, stimulated by interest in the paranormal. Indeed, many of those who had remained silent for thirty years reported new facts about the accident. One of them was the former police officer, Lev Ivanov (Лев Иванов), who led the official inquest in 1959. In 1990, he published an article which included his admission that the investigation team had no rational explanation for the accident. He also stated that, after his team reported that they had seen flying spheres, he then received direct orders from high-ranking regional officials to dismiss this claim.[6]

From an article called "Dyatlov Pass Incident": http://ermakvagus.com/Europe/Russia/Cholat- Syachil/Kholat Syakhl.htm

...We already talked about MVD investigation, but KGB investigation that probably was initiated was certainly classified. We say "probably initiated" for two reasons. Dyatlov Pass Incident involved radiation and it was a state affair by default. Secondly after the investigation clearly showed the presence of radioactivity that was well beyond natural amount Dyatlov Pass Incident investigation suddenly stops. Lets look at the dates. Radioactivity is established on May 27th, on May 28th the investigation is over and on 29th Levashov (who was in charge of the radioactivity report) is asked repeatedly on the nature of his findings and confirms that this level of radiation couldn't possibly be due to a natural exposure. The timing between closure of the case and a discovery (or confirmation) that radiation was present is curious to say the least. You would think that any prosecutor would love to solve such a mystery. It would honor the dead and it would preserve lives from subsequent radiation exposure if it is still found on the Dyatlov Pass. But Ivanov doesn't. He simply closes the case of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.

Strange unidentified cloth "obmotki" or puttee was found near the bodies. This is an old version of protection for feet worn by soldiers in the Red Army. It is a long narrow band that was wrapped around shoes to protect the feet of servicemen from natural elements. They were faded out in the 1940's during World War II, but many veterans kept it after their service. According to Yury Yudin no one in the group carried them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very curious, the detail about the "obmotki" found near the bodies. Seems like a message, to me. Probably something like: "Your military are the ones who are actually responsible for this... Keep your blankety-blank military away from us, with their bombs and their radiation 'experiments', etc." 

Admin

Existing topic on the Dyatlov Pass incident can be found here:

http://bigfootforums.com/topic/1437-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/#comment-15843

23 hours ago, LeafTalker said:

However, I went poking around in a few places just now and found some interesting citations from Wikipedia and one other source. They both suggest that there were traces of radiation on some of the bodies, and that the government had been using weaponry called "parachute mines" in that area around the time of the incident. (A parachute mine is evidently a type of explosive that detonates just before it hits the ground.) One source said that the investigation into the incident was shut down as soon as information about the radiation emerged. Both articles mention the investigators (and other parties) were intimidated by the authorities. 

I'll quote some of this stuff below. And look for one stunning little detail at the end.... 

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Military tests

Some people believe it was a military accident which was then covered up; there are records of parachute mines being tested by the Russian military in the area around the time the hikers were there.[citation needed] Parachute mines detonate a meter or two before they hit the ground and produce similar damage to those experienced by the hikers, heavy internal damage with very little external trauma. There were also glowing orbs reported in the sky in that general vicinity, possibly caused by such ordnance.

Aftermath

Anatoly Gushchin (Russian: Анатолий Гущин) summarized his research in the book The Price of State Secrets Is Nine Lives (Цена гостайны – девять жизней).[4] Some researchers criticized the novel due to its concentration on the speculative theory of a Soviet secret weapon experiment, but its publication led to public discussion, stimulated by interest in the paranormal. Indeed, many of those who had remained silent for thirty years reported new facts about the accident. One of them was the former police officer, Lev Ivanov (Лев Иванов), who led the official inquest in 1959. In 1990, he published an article which included his admission that the investigation team had no rational explanation for the accident. He also stated that, after his team reported that they had seen flying spheres, he then received direct orders from high-ranking regional officials to dismiss this claim.[6]

From an article called "Dyatlov Pass Incident": http://ermakvagus.com/Europe/Russia/Cholat- Syachil/Kholat Syakhl.htm

...We already talked about MVD investigation, but KGB investigation that probably was initiated was certainly classified. We say "probably initiated" for two reasons. Dyatlov Pass Incident involved radiation and it was a state affair by default. Secondly after the investigation clearly showed the presence of radioactivity that was well beyond natural amount Dyatlov Pass Incident investigation suddenly stops. Lets look at the dates. Radioactivity is established on May 27th, on May 28th the investigation is over and on 29th Levashov (who was in charge of the radioactivity report) is asked repeatedly on the nature of his findings and confirms that this level of radiation couldn't possibly be due to a natural exposure. The timing between closure of the case and a discovery (or confirmation) that radiation was present is curious to say the least. You would think that any prosecutor would love to solve such a mystery. It would honor the dead and it would preserve lives from subsequent radiation exposure if it is still found on the Dyatlov Pass. But Ivanov doesn't. He simply closes the case of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.

Strange unidentified cloth "obmotki" or puttee was found near the bodies. This is an old version of protection for feet worn by soldiers in the Red Army. It is a long narrow band that was wrapped around shoes to protect the feet of servicemen from natural elements. They were faded out in the 1940's during World War II, but many veterans kept it after their service. According to Yury Yudin no one in the group carried them.

Very curious, the detail about the "obmotki" found near the bodies. Seems like a message, to me. Probably something like: "Your military are the ones who are actually responsible for this... Keep your blankety-blank military away from us, with their bombs and their radiation 'experiments', etc." 

I struggle with this. You post several references that do not infer bigfoot in any way...then find one quote and you stretch for it to say that it's some sort of message a BF left behind.

Thanks for the links though! Extremely interesting to say the least.

Have always loved the photo of the "snowman" behind the tree.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, LeafTalker said:

I've heard the same thing.   Unsubstantiated, and as far as I can tell, false, but it keeps circulating.   The best documentation suggests it was indeed a coverup for something regarding military / state secrets.   No yetis involved at all ... that part was added to facilitate the cover-up and the sensationalists jumped all over it. 

Now that you've seemingly educated yourself a bit better regarding the Dyatlov Pass "incident", if you go back and re-read my previous response, you may see that there were deliberately two layers to my response, one for the superficial, one for the informed.    There's actually a third if you truly dig in and educate yourself.   If you don't, it won't make sense if I just tell you.   So .. I won't.

MIB

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

I struggle with this. You post several references that do not infer bigfoot in any way...then find one quote and you stretch for it to say that it's some sort of message a BF left behind.

Thanks for the links though! Extremely interesting to say the least.

Have always loved the photo of the "snowman" behind the tree.

Glad you liked the links!

I wasn't trying to establish a connection to the yeti; in some ways, I think that's pretty clear (but see my response to MIB, next). (Also, the mention of orbs IS a pretty direct connection to BF/yeti activity, for those of us who know about orbs -- even though Wikipedia thinks the orbs are connected to the weaponry. Which they might be.)

What I was trying to show was that the Russian military had been there recently, shooting up the place (and very possibly, shooting up the Yeti -- who apparently are KNOWN to be in that area). That's all I was saying. And IF the Yeti/BF were responsible for the tragedy that unfolded at Dyatlov Pass, this fact -- that the military had been in there so recently, hunting Yeti -- would be a very understandable explanation for the violence of the Yeti response to the hikers.

If some hairless people tried to wipe out your (Yeti) family, you understandably wouldn't feel very kindly toward any OTHER hairless people who happened your way later; say, within days or weeks of such a terrible loss.

55 minutes ago, MIB said:

I've heard the same thing.   Unsubstantiated, and as far as I can tell, false, but it keeps circulating.   The best documentation suggests it was indeed a coverup for something regarding military / state secrets.   No yetis involved at all ... that part was added to facilitate the cover-up and the sensationalists jumped all over it. 

Now that you've seemingly educated yourself a bit better regarding the Dyatlov Pass "incident", if you go back and re-read my previous response, you may see that there were deliberately two layers to my response, one for the superficial, one for the informed.    There's actually a third if you truly dig in and educate yourself.   If you don't, it won't make sense if I just tell you.   So .. I won't.

MIB

You sneaky guy! Now, with your clarification, I see Layer Two. And you know me; anything Layer-Two-like is okay by me.  :)

Layer Three, however, is still beyond me.

54 minutes ago, JDL said:

There's a point at which the legend overtakes the facts.

Very true.

As we all know, however, what one person accepts as "fact" may not pass muster with someone else.

P.S. MIB, nobody's government seems to like to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoots. The likelihood that the Russians would say, "Let's throw 'em off the track by blaming Bigfoot for our misdeeds" seems small..... If you want to explain why I'm wrong to think that, that would be cool.

Edited by LeafTalker