Interesting historical book about the Russian Snowman..

Whistler

Regardin' the cover art...(click to enlarge)

IMG_6487.JPG

There are a number of other ol' images presented in the book similar to the above.

Edited by PBeaton
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:41 AM, LeafTalker said:

P.S. MIB, nobody's government seems to like to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoots. The likelihood that the Russians would say, "Let's throw 'em off the track by blaming Bigfoot for our misdeeds" seems small..... If you want to explain why I'm wrong to think that, that would be cool.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post.  I'll take a shot at that.   Understand that in other countries, the education and government are more tightly coupled than they are here, they don't have the independence we do, and you simply don't study something at a university the government doesn't approve of on some level, overt or not.

Russia ... think about Dmitri Bayanov, Igor Burtsev, and Jeanne-Marie Koffmann.   Each were involved in researching unidentified bipeds (almasty) as part of their jobs with university grants.   That means government support, even if only grudging.

China ... remember that Mark Evans, in investigating yeti reports with Bryan Sykes, met with a Chinese university professor at their museum ... again, university, thus government, funding.

Turn around and look at the institutional support academics who look into bigfoot get here.   They wind up fighting to save their careers, their retirement, etc.

So you can pick nits if you wish and say it was education, not government, but I won't buy it, and you can pick nits and say it was yaren and almasty, not bigfoot, but I won't buy that either.   While they may not truly embrace hairy hominids with open arms / outright acceptance, the study of those is more acceptable in their educational systems than it is here in ours.

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

I agree that grudging support is better than nothing (and certainly better than what educational institutions get here).   :) 

Thanks for that info. 

• Upvote 1

There is an old Russian military report, think it was sometime well before WWI, that a Russian military unit shot and killed an Almasty.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:25 PM, MIB said:

you can pick nits and say it was yaren and almasty, not bigfoot

Basically all the same thing aren't they? I mean, they are generally described a bit differently, I think the Almasty is more human-like and the Yeren is shorter, but that's common in all BF creatures. The Orang Pendek for example, rather short, around 4 foot. And I think the Aussie Yowie has a bit of a different appearance. Makes sense actually, different species of the same creature in different parts of the world due to genetics prevailing in the population.

On 9/7/2017 at 6:07 PM, VAfooter said:

Existing topic on the Dyatlov Pass incident can be found here:

http://bigfootforums.com/topic/1437-the-dyatlov-pass-incident/#comment-15843

That one is locked, but there is a much more recent one and much more detailed.

Edited by Rockape

8 hours ago, Rockape said:

Basically all the same thing aren't they?

No, that wasn't my reasoning.   I was trying to emphasize the differences between nations and governments in the amount of support for research into unknown species, particularly those we assume to be hominids, not intending to compare the species themselves.   I'd be surprised, given the variability of description of physical forms and behaviors, if they are all the same.     I'm sorry I was not more clear.

MIB

Edited by MIB

10 hours ago, MIB said:

No, that wasn't my reasoning. 

Ah, I see. My bad.

I'd be surprised, given the variability of description of physical forms and behaviors, if they are all the same.

Yeah, I didn't mean they are all the same, just members of the same species. The same but different, if that makes sense.

Although I don't subscribe to this theory, the fact that hominids have been reported all over the world gives credence to the phenomenon being something psychological buried deep in the human brain.

How else would not one country have found, killed and announced the existence of their type of creature?

Unless you believe in a worldwide conspiracy.

Interesting stuff.

I think the only ones like Bigfoot is the Almasty from northern Russia. This to me, kinda says they might have crossed the strait either way. They are the only ones that looks alike and could have easily made that journey long ago from either side. These pendeks, skunk apes, and pretty much every other one looks nothing like the Bigfoot we know here in the states. I don't even consider the skunk ape as some type of Bigfoot. Nothing more than an escaped orangutan long ago and bred in the wilds of florida. The rest of them some type of ape or monkey... Not Bigfoot... The Bigfoot as we know it, ex Patty, only lives in North America and Northern Russia... 

53 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

gives credence to the phenomenon being something psychological buried deep in the human brain

I've actually considered that.  I've seen two, but being somewhat human (at times :)), I could be affected.  

The problem with that line of thinking, though, is psychological phenomenon don't leave physical evidence like tracks, hair, blood, saliva, feces, fingernails, etc, nor do they produce vocalizations we can record and digitally analyze, nor would human psychological phenomenon account for domestic animal responses ... dogs barking, etc.   Unless we all have agreed, even the skeptics, to participate in the conspiracy, that goes nowhere.   Obviously the scoftics DO see something in the PGF else they wouldn't be arguing about what it is or is not.  They do see the track casts and photos else they wouldn't be arguing about interpretation or legitimacy of what is presented.  

There is something out there.

MIB

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

Yeah, I didn't mean they are all the same, just members of the same species. The same but different, if that makes sense.

Considering what species means, I suspect not .. and if they are, everything from a 10+ foot all sasquatch to a yeti to an almasty to orang pendak, to whatever the little long-tailed thing is, genetically one species, capable of interbreeding, I think we have strong evidence for alien intervention / genetic engineering 'cause "that ain't natural."

I may be wrong.   I don't think I am, but if I am, I'll be happy to say "oops" and ... maybe even buy the first pitcher if there's anyone around to share it with.

MIB

22 hours ago, Rockape said:

I think the Almasty is more human-like and the Yeren is shorter, but that's common in all BF creatures. The Orang Pendek for example, rather short, around 4 foot. And I think the Aussie Yowie has a bit of a different appearance. Makes sense actually, different species of the same creature in different parts of the world due to genetics prevailing in the population.

Makes sense to me, too. Yes, different species. Thomas Hughes says there are "probably 90-something species" of BF that are here right now, but only "2 or 3 different kinds" in North America. 

20 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Although I don't subscribe to this theory, the fact that hominids have been reported all over the world gives credence to the phenomenon being something psychological buried deep in the human brain.

How else would not one country have found, killed and announced the existence of their type of creature?

Unless you believe in a worldwide conspiracy.

Interesting stuff.

That's something that I find curious and why I say the Bigfoot phenomenon is just as interesting whether they be real or not. Why do we have people with no connection, different beliefs and cultures from all over the world saying they see them? Is there some need in the human brain to create these creatures if they don't actually exist? Why a hairy apeman? I mean, I can see why we all have ghost stories, but why hairy apeman stories?

19 hours ago, MIB said:

Considering what species means, I suspect not ..

Maybe I'm using the term species wrong, I mean the way humans are different in aspect of race. They are the same branch of the tree, but have divergences.

17 hours ago, LeafTalker said:

Makes sense to me, too. Yes, different species. Thomas Hughes says there are "probably 90-something species" of BF that are here right now, but only "2 or 3 different kinds" in North America. 

I'd like to see how he arrived at that "90 something different species" estimate. Just seems too high to me.

Edited by Rockape

21 hours ago, LeafTalker said:

He didn't arrive at it. He was given the information. And now you have it, too -- or at least, your subconscious does. 

Ok, I will bite.

Who gave him that information and how?

Why do you choose to be so cryptic?

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Who gave him that information and how?

Bigfoot told him.

31 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

C'mon, how about 100?

Who are you to argue with Bigfoot? You don't think they know how many of them there are?