How many members do we have that have actually seen one?

Admin

What fun would that be?

hint: the arrow you posted is pointing about 30 ft off the ground. We don't carry ladders with us and my fat ass can't climb trees.  :)

I too have been startled by what was almost certainly a beaver tail slap in the water at night, while fishing.  My brother was in the boat too, was also startled and made the same determination.  It's a unique and somehow territorial sound which, as MIB said, did not sound anything like a rock splashing into the water.  It's amazing what we can sometimes accurately perceive even without visual contact.  B)

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

How could they even conceive of "facial recognition?" That technology is unknown to probably half the human population, and yet a different species is thought to comprehend it? C'mon.

Hmm. OK, how about a test then, my friend. BEFORE facial recognition technology how many people have you recognized in your life just by their faces? Now expand that with sports, political, and acting celebrities. How many of those recognized faces were you able to look at and determine anger, fear, pain and.....well, you get the idea. Hundreds of faces that you can probably still recall after years of not seeing them- like school teachers for instance. I'll bet you can even remember what your and your friends; pets looked like.

Animals do the same thing. They recognize friendly countenances, threating countenances and ones exhibiting fear or pain. So in general, I don't understand the nature of your reply. There also have been estimates that fixes can understand the languages of 20 or more different animals. Look it up. So if there is such a thing as a Sasquatch I wouldn't rule out face recognition and being able to read facial expressiont. In fact it would b an important trait to have in the tool box for survival.

Edited by hiflier

Guest OntarioSquatch

Inc is talking about sasquatch conceiving the facial recognition technology that digital cameras use, not actual recognition of faces

I believe the reason for why they avoid people and cameras is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia, which interestingly is a human psychological trait.

Similarly interesting is that there isn’t any need for their entire population to have that for evolving on this continent, especially at such an extreme degree.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

On 10/6/2017 at 5:58 PM, hiflier said:

1) Facial recognition is important to them. One's face may be the number one indicator of intent and when hiding one's face behind a camera it is nearly impossible to read intent in one's expression.

GOOD insight!  I hadn't connected those dots.  You're absolutely right about facial expression so far as reading intent.  We "telegraph" much of what we're thinking / feeling via facial expressions.  Hmmm .. to take a further step, it's possible the postures and motions used in operating a camera further mask what other components of body language might say.   It might also replicate some cmponents of what is done in firing a gun.  

I haven't noticed, at least for me, presence of a gun has nearly the impact people say it should.  I suspect they are missing part of the picture.   Body language may well be that missing piece.

MIB

9 hours ago, hiflier said:

So in general, I don't understand the nature of your reply.

That's because it's not on-topic, he's going off trying to be witty again and failing.  Inc1 is almost bipolar ... by that I mean the person I saw when I was a premium member is not the person we see out here "in public."   Over there he showed insight and intelligence.  Here ... snark and not much else.  It is too bad he seems so afraid to show what he really can be.  :( 

MIB

1 hour ago, MIB said:

That's because it's not on-topic, he's going off trying to be witty again and failing.  Inc1 is almost bipolar ... by that I mean the person I saw when I was a premium member is not the person we see out here "in public."   Over there he showed insight and intelligence.  Here ... snark and not much else.  It is too bad he seems so afraid to show what he really can be.  :( 

MIB

I actually don't mind his MO too much at all. It serves the purpose of getting folks to explain, clarify, or otherwise back up what they say. BTW, your mention of BF missing part of the picture makes good sense. The presence of a gun may be fine as long as the body motion of grabbing it isn't there- as in walking with it in one's hands, i.e. camera or gun in one's hand or up to one's face may be the same thing to them? But as gigantor mentioned, it doesn't explain trail cams. Or, maybe it does when it comes to an intelligent creature. Gun to face, camera to face, camera to tree sounds like a leap in logic but who knows how they see and equate and associate things that are not natural in the habitat. 

Here's a novel thought - maybe they do actually know what cameras are. After all, in the age of digital, we point and shoot, then we look on the screen at the picture we just took. How hard is it to figure that out? I sometimes think the notion that "how could they possibly know what a camera is, it must just look like a gun" is just another item on a tiresome list of underestimations of their abilities and intelligence.

• Upvote 3

Facial expression and body language were critical in my encounter.  I was observing both in him and he was certainly observing the same in us to determine attitude and intent.  It still mystifies me as to why he openly exposed himself to us.  He, and any others he was with could certainly have retreated down the wash without us ever realizing they were there.

Edited by JDL
  • Upvote 1

On 10/7/2017 at 1:07 PM, SWWASAS said:

I would like to know why too.     One of my theories is that they have seen enough hunters in the woods with rifle scopes, that they have a hard time differentiating between a camera with a lens and a rifle with a scope which has a lens.  

As far as game cameras,  I would guess that most of the time they watch the humans put them up.   Pretty easy to avoid if you know it is there.    Also some do little to disguise the game camera.

One story from a habituator,  if you can believe anything they say, is that they asked a BF that was capable of human speech,   the reason why BF did not like their picture taken.      If you can get past all the if's and innate unbelievable nature of the story in the first place, the answer is more remarkable.    The answer given by the BF is that allowing their picture to be taken is "not permitted."    Not permitted by whom?   That answer leads in a lot of directions, some of which are uncomfortable and way down the rabbit hole.    If speaking BF exist, I certainly would like to know their answer too.   The only time I have heard their speech, it seemed to be a child,   and sounded similar to Korean or Chinese.     Very tonal in nature,  and very fast.     Would be difficult or impossible for a human to learn without a lot of face to face interaction.    I would think it more likely they could learn our language from closely watching us teaching our children than the other way around.      

Maybe bigfoot are Amish?  Photographs are not permitted.  And I've seen some pretty hairy and stinky ones!  Hmm.....

I cannot say that I HAVE seen one, but what I have experienced is a fair bit more than what some are posting, so I decided to go ahead also:

I have had 2 that might come close to a sighting. One was the bright red, almond shaped (no pupil) eyes up against my bedroom window @ 12 years ago, and @ 7 1/2 ft off the ground. The other happened 20+/- years ago at a different address and I only started giving it more thought after reading BFRO reports that sounded so similar. It was after dark, I was on my backporch, and I heard something running and panting very loudly, coming down through my back field right toward me. I made it in the backdoor and over to the sliding patio doors where I saw it plain view. It looked like a large dog covered in long hair-- brown and rust mixture-- each strand looked the same-- but no sign of ears, nose, and couldn't see eyes ... Like a basketball covered in long hair. It lunged like it wanted to come through the glass at me, but stayed in place. I can't remember seeing a tail when it left. It stayed on all fours, so I figured it had to be a feral dog. No bark.

The other experiences included strange howl beside porch, extremely hard beatings on house, full grown pine swaying widely side to side with no others moving, sounds on roof like sticks or pebbles, possible stalk by something with VERY long, bipedal stride, few other things.

Like I said once before-- I think the only thing I have left IS an actual sighting.~

Not welcoming it though.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
On 10/9/2017 at 0:45 PM, Cotter said:

Maybe bigfoot are Amish?  Photographs are not permitted.  And I've seen some pretty hairy and stinky ones!  Hmm.....

Well for me, if a 9 foot 800 lb BF will not allow photographs because it is not permitted,  what is he afraid of that prevents him from violating that rule?    That has to be something pretty dangerous.   Reminds me of the Native American elder I heard speak at a  BF conference that states he is not afraid of the big forest people (BF), but he is very afraid of the tiny ones.   One way or the other there must be stuff out there that most of us don't know about that we should be afraid of.     

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
On 10/6/2017 at 8:58 PM, hiflier said:

Two wild guesses:

1) Facial recognition is important to them. One's face may be the number one indicator of intent and when hiding one's face behind a camera it is nearly impossible to read intent in one's expression. Animals, no matter what kind, read facial expression for survival around a predator or when competing for food or for reading dominance and threats during mating. It's seems to be all about understanding intent.

2) The obvious experience of aimed weapons use by Humans who hunt.

Even crows have excellent facial recognition of humans in their community (researched recently and alot of it going on at Univ. of Washington).  Simple for a Sasquatch to have hyperacute skills in this area in my mind.  http://voicesforbiodiversity.org/articles/the-crow-that-knows-us  http://www.washington.edu/news/2012/09/10/crows-react-to-threats-in-human-like-way/

http://www.pnas.org/content/109/39/15912.abstract

Edited by bipedalist

I will try and catch up here, I was out of town last week.  First of all, I was fishing intently watching my poles with a lantern on my truck tailgate.  Nothing came up out of the water.  I noticed the object out of the corner of my eye right before it hit the water in front of us.  Certain it was no beaver tail smack.

As far as the Big Guys, I have been through soooooooooo many unexpected twists and turns out in the field, I am now at a point where absolutely nothing they do surprises me.  I will at some point share in the paranormal section my videos involving stuff like shape shifting, cloaking, mind speak etc., things I at one time thought were rubbish only to be exposed to these out of the box things time and again.  Not something I was looking for or endeavored to make happen.

As far as cameras and game cameras, they just don't like any device you bring up to your face and they seem to know when they are there and intently watch where you're looking or aiming the device.  Even though it was hard for me to do initially, I eventually realized they are much more than a dumb animal.  I also learned a level of acknowledgement and respect goes a long way for success out in the field.  Just my experiences and the things I learned regarding these highly elusive subjects that has given me several once-in-a-lifetime experiences. 

• Upvote 2