Redbone

A Place To Share Audio Files

74 posts in this topic

Sounds like either a fishercat or a fox. Going through all the baby crying animal sounds these two are the only ones that even match. 

I came across a Nat Geo clip about Fisher screams. This guy says that Fishers don't make that sort of noise, but the distressed hare sound he plays seems similar.

This is probably not going to help, but this noise was recorded in the same location 1/2 hour earlier, at 4:55 am 10/08/17. This is as heard from all three recorders, about 100 yards apart. The loudest in this case was the middle recorder. The loudest for the crying audio was the northern most recorder, which was also about 100 yards away from a house, where I'm pretty sure the dog sound comes from (a beautiful Chocolate Lab). I'm 99% certain the crying was not a baby at the house, and this property owner is unwilling to even hunt his property right now. He surely will not be taking a baby into the woods at 5:30 am. Maybe if we can identify some audio it may ease his concerns BUT there has been multiple BF sightings on or near this property.

Edited by Redbone

I'm going with my first instinct after hearing these type sounds myself in the woods, and that would be fox. I ruled out a rabbit since when they do make those crying type sounds, it's always a serious distressed in pain type of sound. Your sound didn't sound like it was in distress. More of a mating call or two cats or foxes sizing each other up.

Does the owner or neighbors have a baby? You could always speculate it's a Bigfoot mimicking a child crying. I ruled that out also due to the power of the sound. It's just not powerful enough for a Bigfoot to be doing it. Whatever this is, is vocalizing very loudly in it's upper range of vocalization for it's small lung capacity like a small cat like a bobcat or a fox would. I think if it was a Bigfoot mimicking it would be a more powerful sounding mimic due to their huge lungs if you know what I mean.

Sorry this is long winded and includes stuff that won't matter to many people, but I wanted to be thorough.

I still have more recent audio to share and will soon. I wanted to get another post or two in about my microphone project. (The last post was September 28th)

Still working with the TNTE microphones I tried to eliminate noise by finding a high signal to noise ratio microphone to replace the original.

Long story super short (because the first mics I tried to order are seemingly unavailable), I chose POM-3535P-3-R made by PUI, available at Digikey or Mouser Electronics (Mouser is cheaper in quantity of 10 or more). These have a S/N ratio of 68 db, which is just about as high as I can find. The ones with a better ratio were unavailable to me.

I have been unable to determine what microphone elements are installed originally on the assemblies I'm working with, but I do know that the new ones produce more signal for the same amount of noise. What I thought was a benefit soon turned out to be a great flaw. I deployed my microphones out in the woods during the eclipse, interested in what I might capture. What I got was all bad. It was hour after hour of clipped audio of bug noises. Anything that was interesting is buried in unusable audio. That's when I changed my focus on this project and it's probably a good thing it happened. (I see no need to share this audio - but you can trust me when I say it was bad)

After the eclipse fiasco I decided I was gong to filter out the bug noise before I recorded it. There was a lot of trial and error, and i didn't just have the right parts sitting on hand to do this. While I can explain the results in minutes, the process took several days and a lot of trial and error. Adding a low pass filter is actually pretty easy, now that I've figured out what I'm doing.

The simplest Low pass filter is an RC network. I used this low pass calculator website to figure out what values I needed. After all the trial and error I decided to use two filters on each microphone. The second filter eliminates any high frequency noise introduce by the amplifier circuit itself.

Low Pass RC Filter.jpg

On Generation 1 boards (the ones that get clipping with my new mic element) get a 10 KOhm, .01uF (1.592 KHz) filter between amplifier stages and a 510 Ohm, .2uF (1.561 KHz) filter at the output.

I have had to put the original mics back onto those generation 1 boards to keep them from clipping, even after the low pass modifications. At this point I've decided to stop even using them for my own recordings. I've been giving them away to friends to try out, but I'll probably end up swapping out their mics for the new version as well.

Gen 2 boards (the ones I'm using from here on out) use a 10 KOhm, .01uF (1.592 KHz) filter before the OP Amp input and a 12 KOhm, .01uF (1.327 KHz) filter after the Op Amp output.

The 12 KOhm resistor was chosen only because of the limited number of 10K parts I had on hand. I now have PLENTY of 10K resistors so future builds will use 10K resistors for both filters. I have parts to build 10 more on hand right now. For the sounds I've shared in the past few days I have not had matching microphones on all recorders so trying to triangulate location of the sound makers has not been easy. It will get better.

(GEN 2 Boards - Complete)

Gen 2 Complete.jpg

The last thing I want to show for now is how much more sensitive my new microphone element is compared to the original mics on Gen 2 boards. The lower track is the new mic on a board that has the filters already installed. The top track is how it looks unmodified. These were side by side and being recorded in stereo on the same recorder while I was whistling. The signal gain is significant. I will try this test on gen 1 vs gen 2 at some point but it seems unimportant to me, since I'll be ditching the gen 1 mics anyway.

Mic Compare 101417.jpg

This image shows the spectrogram of the same audio shown above. You can see the effect of the Low Pass filtering as most high frequency information has disappeared on the lower track.

Mic Compare 101417 Spectro.jpg

Edited by Redbone

This was recorded Friday morning, October 20th at 1:40 am. I can only speculate (maybe low frequency speech?) but it's definitely interesting! This was in Iowa woods.

If this is a known animal, please let me know what I'm dealing with. There was movement in this area from critters large and small for the next hour afterward. I suspect there was also a walnut tree, putting every knock or thump sound in question. I'd guess that at least some of the later movement I recorded was deer, plus I've got a few owl clips I'll share later.

The sound-cloud link is a version that is filtered and amplified. I have attached a 7 minute unaltered segment (1:40 to 1:47 am) for those who want to analyze it.

In that 7 minute clip, the sounds start at 14 seconds. There is possibly more low noise at 51 seconds and at 6:04. There's movement at 3:13 and distant coyotes at 3:48.

There's also a possible owl or bird sound at 4:07 and a mystery noise at 4:41 during more car noise.

52200 to 52900.mp3

Here are two more clips. The first was an owl recorded at the same location of the low frequency noises shared above. We were on a night op very nearby and heard it clearly. I have not reviewed my personal recorder yet but this version has to be better because we're not talking over it. This was 8:44 pm on Thursday October 19th, 2017.

This is a series of 3 howls recorded at a different location on Friday night, October 20th, starting at 10:03 PM. We were on a night op 660 yards away and could barely hear these calls, but noted them as possible coyotes. Nobody from our group was near enough to make these sounds. I'll check carefully to see if anybody else drove into this area before or after these howls because it sounds like people out squatching to me. I'll say again that it was nobody from my group. The audio itself is unedited from original. I only clipped out about 1 minute of dead time (total) between the howls. From 1st howl to the last covered a span of 2 1/2 minutes. There are also two apparent wood knocks in this audio clip.

^^ In the 3 howls audio I shared a few posts ago, I realized after the fact that the howls were preceded by knocks and re-did the clip to include them. All of that happened within 11 minutes of us doing a knock about 660 yards away. It seems that we may have had response knocks that we didn't notice, and perhaps the knocks and howls were responses to that. None of the sounds, including the knock we did, could be heard on both recorders (except we barely heard the howls). These same howls were also heard on a third recorder about 1/2 mile away across a valley. I still think the knocks and howls sound like another group of people out squatching but I never found audio evidence of  a car driving past my recorder to get to where they'd have needed to be.

Below is a few more sounds I came across while reviewing my many hours of recorded audio.

This apparent voice was heard on two recorders, about 100 yards apart, October 20th at 1:11 am. On the first recorder you can hear me snoring. That recorder was hanging on the side mirror of my car, just outside the camper. It creeped me out once I heard it and it's amazing to me that both recorders have it. The distant recorder was 100 yards or so up a trail away from all other campers into the woods. Voices from other campers can only barely be heard on this farther recorder. The sounds from each recorder are repeated on this clip after being filtered and amplified.

This was an owl (I think) that was recorded at 8:34PM on Thursday, October 19th.

I STILL have some rock throwing audio from September that I have not shared. I'll try to get to that this evening. I have a lot of cuss words to bleep out...

Edited by Redbone

Yup, owl.

That voice is very odd. Vocals are the coolest part of recording, some are really puzzling.

I have tons of recordings stored and just starting to put some on SC. Here is something strange that sounds like a child singing, recorded on a trip last December, around midnight on a rainy night. It's very faint, not amplified.

161202_02faint?.wav

Here is audio as captured by two separate recorders on September 20th, 2017. One recorder was with me on the bridge and the other was hanging in a tree at one end of the bridge.

There are 4 rocks that HIT the bridge (10:50, 11:21, 11:29 PM, and 12:02 AM) and a rock clack (11:50 PM). The rock clack is repeated three times in this clip but was NOT captured by the 2nd recorder,

I only bleeped out the cuss words, and no other audio modification was done for this clip. The sounds of rocks are exactly as recorded. There is a thump missing from the last rock, where it was heard hitting the river bank near the 2nd recorder. It's bleeped out because it happened in the middle of a cuss word.

I'm considering compiling all of the rock throwing audio into one 'uncensored' file and sharing it in the Tar Pit. It's more interesting when our true reactions are included.

To start this particular evening, we cooked 4 pounds of bacon at the bridge, hoping to draw attention from our forest friends. This is a technique I recommend! :)

Edited by Redbone

I don't know why I hadn't seen this until now...a regular guy records some impressive sounds.

I don't want this discussion to wither and die so I figured it was time to make another post.

I have not reviewed any more of my audio since the beginning of December. I STILL have hundreds of hours to go through.

Last time out, I got about 72 hours on one of my recorders using Energizer Max batteries. It was actually still recording when I shut it down.

5 hours ago, Redbone said:

I have not reviewed any more of my audio since the beginning of December. I STILL have hundreds of hours to go through.

The main problem with recording audio is the time it takes to review it. We also have hundreds of hours of audio that nobody's ever listened to.

What we need is to automate the process of identifying possible hits. Then a human can review those. I've been looking for software to do that, but haven't had any luck. The problem is very similar to what the SETI project faces looking for ET signals...

How did those bypass filters work out?  Can you post a parts list and instructions on how to build one?

I never listen to an entire recording. I pull it up on Audacity and look at larger vacillations on the screen, then listen to those. Then the next smaller ones and so forth. Granted, this method can easily miss a subtle whoop but it at least has me giving the recording some degree of review.

Pretty much the same.    I usually load the file into Audacity, switch to spectrogram display, set the bottom of the scale to 0, top of the scale to 1500 Khz, zoom in so I have about 15 minutes displayed in the window, then look at "forms".    Most of the things out there make sounds with signature shapes.   Planes .. I did not realize how many planes go over in a day.  Guess I just tune them out after while.  Cars, squirrels, knocks (woodpeckers, falling branches).  Flying insects show up as vertical bar with 3, sometimes 4, strong bands separated by gaps.    Most of that falls into narrow bands ... distinct, clean lines.    The interesting stuff shows up as foggy or blurry spots .. more diffuse ranges of tone rather than a single "clean" tone and longer duration.

One thing ... I have never seen home speakers good enough for reviewing sound.   IMHO it requires the very best headphones you can afford.    A couple hundred bucks is not out of line.

I'm not concerned with subtle whoops.   I don't need additional evidence to back up what I've already seen.  Regarding bigfoot, I'm after recordings of "conversations" in the woods or big, powerful, loud vocalizations so overwhelming there's no ambiguity left.   I'm also after a cleaner, more detailed recording of whatever I recorded Sept 6, 2012.  I'm likely more driven to identify "that" than I am to locate bigfoot.   Fortunately I don't have to choose between them, same time, same area ... just go.

MIB