• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter
Redbone

A Place To Share Audio Files

68 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, gigantor said:

How did those bypass filters work out?  Can you post a parts list and instructions on how to build one?

They work very well in my opinion. Without the filter, the bug noise is unbearable.

The problem with a parts list is that you have to start with one of those security mics. When you order them you cannot tell what you are getting. The ones that worked best for me were the cheapest so I bought them 10 at a time on E-Bay.

I plan to post the schematic of the two types I have done. I'll get to it one of these days, probably before Winter is through.

Edited by Redbone

Just want to drop this in here. I'd be freaked if I heard this in the dark forest. At about 1:15, it sounds a little bit like speech.

Edited by Redbone

It wouldn't even have to be a dark forest to raise my hair. Not surprising though after hearing the sounds a 16 pound house cat can produce.

^Hi XionC, your link didn't work for me.

Beautiful bobcat, I'd just like to point out that it is trapped and extremely defensive. It is unlikely that one would hear such vocals in a dark forest unless it was fighting, etc. It would likely just avoid human presence.

Posted (edited)

Here's an angry animal recorded last week in Iowa woods. If anybody recognizes this sound, please let me know.

And here's a out of place voice recorded at 11:18pm last week in Iowa woods.

I'll be starting a recording project in Nebraska very soon along the Missouri. Can't wait to see what I can get.

Edited by Redbone

In the first recording, I didn't hear the constant background rumble until putting on head phones. That part reminds me of the video going around Facebook a few months back with a Canadian Lynx purring. Of the louder passages, some of it has a feline component although at other times it seems nearlyl like speech.

Posted (edited)

I've done some more testing and found that I can go 76-77 hours on 1100 mAh AAA rechargeable batteries in the Sony ICD-PX333 recorder. That's a nice improvement over the alkaline batteries I had been using.

Innovation can't rest though. I've modified two of my remote recorders to accept AA batteries. I have some 2800 mAh batteries on the way. This should get me to about 196 hours or 8 full days.

I now have 16GB cards in all of my recorders so that memory will not be the limitation. I have 3 recorders deployed right now (although 1 of them certainly has dead batteries by now). At least 2 of those will get this update when I get them back home. I have two that will probably be left as is to run with AAA batteries. These will be needed for my personal recorder and parabolic recorder.

The battery holder is held on with hot glue and the leads are soldered to the recorders AAA battery terminals. I'll be deploying them on Saturday!

AA Batteries 1.jpgAA Batteries 2.jpg

Edited by Redbone

Here is the first released clip from the Omaha Reservation in Nebraska. I REALLY need to know if there is a known bird that makes this sound. Examples would be great if they can be provided. Thanks!

Recorded between 12:48 am and 1:47 am on Monday morning, 04/23/18.

Posted (edited)

On the angry animal, I'm not sure, sounds like raccoons only deeper. I may have something similar stored, I'll look for it. The unknown voice is creepy and doesn't sound bird-like. The last one sounds like a typical sas whoop, nice and clear and close. Pretty cool!

Edited by JKH

Posted (edited)

We have MANY more clips to share, but they will be released one at a time. I had my say and we get to share this one that is EXTREMELY Squatchy first (ok - second as there is one two posts up). This is still just the tip of the iceberg!

I had my first daytime sighting 05/25/18 1:30 pm (4 days after these sounds were recorded) about 1/4 mile from the location of this recorder, which has been going 24/7 for the last month.

The sounds in this clip were going on as Rez Squatching team members (I was not there) were having an encounter with 2 Sasquatch about a mile away. They did not make or hear these calls. The tribe does not allow anyone into these areas without permission, A downed tree had blocked the road in for the last 3 weeks, so anybody coming into this area would have to walk in.

Encounters on the reservation are generally not submitted to other groups, such as BFRO, and privacy is a concern for the proud Omaha People.

Don't be fooled by the lack of pins on the map in Eastern Nebraska. This place is rugged and squatchy, with forest going on for miles and miles along the Missouri River.

Enjoy! more clips will be coming and many are as remarkable as this one.

Edited by Redbone

Interesting. I do have some questions:

Is that one continuous recording or a bunch of clips appended together?

What is that banging at the end? sounds like metal trash cans being thrown about

Are there any gunshots in that recording?

Are you sure the team members didn't make any howling calls? Some sound like someone without the lung capacity trying to make them...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

Interesting. I do have some questions:

Is that one continuous recording or a bunch of clips appended together?

Every sound in this clip is from the same 9 hour original. which will always be kept intact. It's not practical to share the uninterupted audio on soundcloud. The silence between sounds indicates where dead time was cut out of the clip. From first sound to last was from 10:10 pm to 11:58 pm. Potentially, the original could be submitted to others for evaluation. We do NOT want to have people start grabbing our audio and sharing it as their own.

What is that banging at the end? sounds like metal trash cans being thrown about

I assume you mean the banging sound... I don't know for certain.The very last sound is a tree falling down. With a non directional microphone I would know where to look for a fresh tree fall. I'll scan around the next time I go in there but it's pretty unlikely I'll find it.

I do have gunshots recorded from another night that could be compared. When those earlier gunshots were recorded, I could hear the car arrive, and hear the people messing around (and shooting guns), and then hear the car leave. There was no such recorded activity on the 21st.

Are there any gunshots in that recording? Not as far as I know. The Rez team guys who were out heard no gunshots or knocks that night.

Are you sure the team members didn't make any howling calls? Some sound like someone without the lung capacity trying to make them...alls or knocks

I asked each of them separately They all agreed that no calls or knocks were done by the team. If I'd have been with them, I'd have recordings to prove it, but alas, I was at home.

Edited by Redbone

You don't need to prove anything Red.  There are some nice howls in there...

Did you apply any filters (Hi/Lo Pass) or noise reduction?  It just sounds weird in my headphones, Especially the knocks and tree fall.