Redbone

A Place To Share Audio Files

74 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Only amplification was done as far as I can remember. I saved the entire clip before amplification with sounds exactly as recorded. It is here now:

I cannot be certain that there were no people in the area making some of these noises. I am quite certain that the Whoop replies at 02:34, 02:47, and 03:08 are a real animal that we've recorded over and over.

If I was squatching there making whoops (I was not there) and got those responses you'd hear the celebration. There are no other telling sounds that indicate people are there at the time. Some experiments tell me that whatever is making "whoops" close. I did my own whoops that could not be heard at 1/4 mile.

Edited by Redbone

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, gigantor said:

You don't need to prove anything Red.  There are some nice howls in there...

Did you apply any filters (Hi/Lo Pass) or noise reduction?  It just sounds weird in my headphones, Especially the knocks and tree fall.

I just realized. I record at 128 kbps but when I save in Audacity it goes to 145 kbps. I think that is where some of the the odd noises come from. I can change settings and get better results I think.

Some of the noise seems to happen where there is supposed to be silence. I can make that better in future clips by using fade in and fade out heading into and coming out of the silent parts.

Edited by Redbone

13 hours ago, gigantor said:

It just sounds weird in my headphones, Especially the knocks and tree fall.

I just had an idea. There may be something funny with the acoustics in this area. The batteries only last a week so when I get back this weekend I'll do a bunch of knocks all around to see how they turn out in the recording.

As far as I know, there are no piles of metal anywhere near here but people have been known to ditch their garbage in remote places.

Great compilation of BF sounds, really impressive! It's funny how they can sound quite human-like, but then those long vocals (not to mention the terrain) give them away. It's cool that you have permission to visit there.

I haven't forgotten about posting some audio of mine, but May got busy, will do soon.

On 5/30/2018 at 0:31 PM, Redbone said:

I just had an idea. There may be something funny with the acoustics in this area. The batteries only last a week so when I get back this weekend I'll do a bunch of knocks all around to see how they turn out in the recording.

As far as I know, there are no piles of metal anywhere near here but people have been known to ditch their garbage in remote places.

I wonder if SoundCloud samples the file and reduces the quality...

I noticed my soundcloud files were reduced in quality over time, it was very frustrating. 

My ears are still good and I could detect the deterioration. 

Posted (edited)

This audio clip was prepared with a little more care that the last one. This is a compilation of close-up sounds that happened over two days, May 16th and 17th, 2018.

As always, we welcome feedback. If anybody can identify known animals that make sounds like this, please say something. Actual examples are even more welcome.

Notice that this is very similar to some sounds I shared from Iowa on April 22nd, but those were from a greater distance. We get similar sounds seemingly every week at this location.

Edited by Redbone

I'm gonna say some sound like  Wild Boar with little babies...

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, gigantor said:

I'm gonna say some sound like  Wild Boar with little babies...

Problem with a "Wild Boar" that theory is that in the 5 weeks that there has been a recorder in this location I have never heard a true pig oink or squeal.

All we have are a few odd snorts as shared in the clip.

This area is wet but NOT very good for producing tracks and prints. The only thing I've seen that be easily recognized is deer prints.

I did find and cast a 13 inch print in the same general area. It may be the worst cast in bigfooting history. Both the print and cast showed no detail.

13 inch print.jpg

Edited by Redbone

Really great stuff, Redbone. Some of those sounds remind me of pigs, also. I have one from OK that sounded similar and can't rule pigs out there, so it's a ?. I'm linking the one I spoke of that really puzzled me back when I got it, and know it's not pigs in western WA. I have another similar vocal sounding like adult-child from southern WA, but haven't found it yet. Note to anyone trying audio, have a system of organization! It gets really hard to find stuff.

My recordings mostly require headphones and high volume.

150824_01a.wav

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JKH said:

Really great stuff, Redbone. Some of those sounds remind me of pigs, also. I have one from OK that sounded similar and can't rule pigs out there, so it's a ?. I'm linking the one I spoke of that really puzzled me back when I got it, and know it's not pigs in western WA. I have another similar vocal sounding like adult-child from southern WA, but haven't found it yet. Note to anyone trying audio, have a system of organization! It gets really hard to find stuff.

My recordings mostly require headphones and high volume.

150824_01a.wav

That seems pretty similar... I have more instances than what's been shared but thought a 20 minute clip would be too much. I'd love to share all the audio as I find it but I made a deal with the Rez Squatching group. I get access to their very squatchy area and they get the audio (win win as far as I'm concerned). Present plan is to release one clip each week.

The next audio will be what we call "The Whooper" that has been recorded HUNDREDS of times in the last 5 weeks. I think that "The Whooper" has been involved in some of these angry animal clips but cannot be certain. We are thinking of setting up a trail cam in this spot. If it's bigfoot that should stop the activity. If it's something else then we'll figure out what it is.

To organize my clips, I created a spread sheet with the date and start time of each 9 hour clip (1GB). When I find interesting sounds I note the exact time within the clip and add a comment. My spreadsheet is set to automatically calculate the actual time so it's somewhat important to set date and time when I set the recorders out. I find that the Sony recorders lose a few minutes every week. The spreadsheet makes it easy to go back and review for specific events. The downfall is that it takes 15 minutes or so to load these 9 hour clips into audacity, so even going back to review takes a little commitment. I usually start it then wander off to do something else for awhile.

audio spreadsheet example.jpg

Edited by Redbone

7 hours ago, Redbone said:

Problem with a "Wild Boar" that theory is that in the 5 weeks that there has been a recorder in this location I have never heard a true pig oink or squeal.

All we have are a few odd snorts as shared in the clip.

This area is wet but NOT very good for producing tracks and prints. The only thing I've seen that be easily recognized is deer prints.

I did find and cast a 13 inch print in the same general area. It may be the worst cast in bigfooting history. Both the print and cast showed no detail.

Good multi-tasking for the wood knocker.  I have an old-fashioned carpenter's wooden ruler that can be extended and folded to measure in two directions simultaneously.  Cheap and theoretically useful as I'm not in the squatchiest of areas. 

16 hours ago, Trogluddite said:

Good multi-tasking for the wood knocker.  I have an old-fashioned carpenter's wooden ruler that can be extended and folded to measure in two directions simultaneously.  Cheap and theoretically useful as I'm not in the squatchiest of areas. 

I actually carry a real tape measure but found I can't read the numbers very easy when I try to take pictures. My little marked up bat is easier to see but not very precise.

Posted (edited)

On 6/4/2018 at 7:53 AM, Redbone said:

We get similar sounds seemingly every week at this location.

Can you place 3 or 4 cameras at points of ingress and egress and see what comes around?

If nothing else, put some corn and apples by one of the cameras.  That should prove or disprove the wild bore idea pretty quickly.

Edited by NCBFr

8 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Can you place 3 or 4 cameras at points of ingress and egress and see what comes around?

If nothing else, put some corn and apples by one of the cameras.  That should prove or disprove the wild bore idea pretty quickly.

The first big problem is that I don't have any game cameras. I never figured they be useful for my sasquatch hobby.

The second problem is that I'm not sure it's ok for me to place cameras on tribal lands. They may view that as hunting activity.

If it's going to happen, I'd want my Native American friends to put them up. They seem to have more freedoms on the Tribal lands than I do.

(I even prefer to have them along with me when possible, even dealing with audio recorders)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next business.... We just released another audio clip. This is from April 28th 2018, taking place between 2:47 and 4:04 am. We've recorded this 'whoop' so many times it's difficult to decide which clips to share. This one was chosen because it seems to indicate another animal making grunting sounds. In a future release, we'll share the clip that has 56 whoops in 43 minutes. For now, please enjoy this one that only has 24 whoops (and a bunch of grunts) that span an hour and 17 minutes!