What Happens To Belief

Lake County Bigfooot

Just like allot of people, I can honestly say, 4 years removed from my experience, that it is getting harder to maintain the level of belief that I once had for the creatures existence in my area. Now do not get me wrong, it does not in anyway explain away what happened to me that summer night. That will not be forgotten or filed away as something I imagined or mistook, but instead of me constantly replaying the event I have drifted away from the experience enough to say, I am not sure I want to hold on to needing the explanation. Now when I first began the research phase of my needing to explain the issue, that was tantamount. I can honestly say now that while I still think all that I wondered might be true, very may still be true, I also feel like it does not really matter all that much to prove that fact. I remain skeptically intrigued with the possibility of all that experience of mine being sasquatch, but also that given the intelligence of the quarry I find little confidence in being able to prove their presence. I have my recordings that seem to evidence strange activity, but it just seems that over time skepticism creeps in as nothing else is able to be proven, I guess that is the crux of the matter, time breeds doubt when an absence of further experience is realized. So does that mean I quit recording or altogether lose interest? Maybe. Or do I keep my ears and eyes open and possibly detect further activity. I am stuck somewhere in the middle of all that.

I understand fully where you are coming from.  My experience was not a visual sighting of BF but it still remains my most likely explanation.  My experience was over 20 years ago and in that time I'm still left questioning the whole subject.  I remain a believer but would be lying to say I don't waiver from time to time on the subject.   

I personally have always felt equating a simple scientific inquiry with a need to "believe", or not, puts the whole matter on a very unhealthy level. That, and an overwhelming need to be vindicated lead some to a very unhappy place.  It happens on the skeptics side of things too.  So,  LCB, if that used to be you, I think you are much better off where you are now. It is the pinnacle of hubris for anyone to think they could be the one person likely to somehow crack this mystery wide open. The only person in history to legitimately lay claim to that role was Roger Patterson, and I think we can all agree his results were not at all what he might have hoped them to be when he was shooting that film.   

• Upvote 1

When I had my experience, I often made the point that I was really skeptical up till that time. Yes, after reading a whole lot about the subject I was open to them existing somewhere else, not my backyard marsh. I know that if anyone ever does prove their existence it will probably be my mistake, so although Roger and Bob seemed to strike gold with only a few strikes of the shovel, the rest us of seem to dig to the bedrock and find little or nothing. That is my preponderance, which is not to say that gold is not in the ground, somewhere. The reference to gold not being intended in financial terms, only the rarity of the matter. Gold is however much less rare. So maybe I quit digging and hope it someday finds me again.

I think some of the largest gold finds in history were made by mistake, right place right time. I have already gone this road as an avid storm chaser, not willing anymore to drive across the country to chase a possibility, but when I see conditions closer to home and I am already there, well then. So now I wait and see if anything provokes me back into my recording, and researching. Life is certainly more balanced that way. 

I've never been interested in "proving".   Still, there have been long dry spells where I find (see, hear, etc) no evidence and doubts about my own remembrance creeps in thus I think I know what you're talking about.   For me, that has not lasted yet.  Each time it ends with an incredible slap upside the head which removes every hint of doubt.   You might not realize it from the amount of time I spend here, but I really don't obsess over bigfoot, I don't spend any more time here on this forum than I do on others for other interests .. hunting, fishing, backpacking, etc.   Sometimes I wish I had not seen what I've seen but since i have, I have.  My capacity for deliberate self-deception just isn't great enough to let me pretend otherwise.   It would be simpler if I could.   I don't deliberately bigfoot very much, it's usually secondary, or at least equal to, some other concurrent activity ... same time, same location.   I can't put bigfooting behind me without also giving up the other things I enjoy ... and I just won't.

Sometimes there's nothing to do but get back on Rocinante and head of fin search of another windmill. 

MIB

• Upvote 4

Guest OntarioSquatch

People want “proof” that’s easy to evaluate, but that’s rare to come across in this field of research.

On another note, there has been an increase in flying humanoid sightings in the Chicago area this year. I believe this is related in a way to what we call Bigfoot.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

SSR Team

My belief is more so that as humans from the civilized world, we don't like being outsmarted, at all.

And when we do, like we seemingly are by this animal, and even when many have had what they believe to be encounters with these things, the element of doubt STILL comes as we quite simply think we are the best things on this planet since sliced bread, and we have a hard time understanding and then accepting that we may not be.

Especially where this subject is concerned and especially in the domain of this subject anyway.

Just like allot of people, I can honestly say, 4 years removed from my experience, that it is getting harder to maintain the level of belief that I once had for the creatures existence in my area. Now do not get me wrong, it does not in anyway explain away what happened to me that summer night. That will not be forgotten or filed away as something I imagined or mistook, but instead of me constantly replaying the event I have drifted away from the experience enough to say, I am not sure I want to hold on to needing the explanation. Now when I first began the research phase of my needing to explain the issue, that was tantamount.     Lake County Bigfoot

We have the need to know especially after an incident. My encounter lasted for ten seconds and years later still nags at me. Was it real or a dark forest illusion? Most of the time we win ....... meaning we find the answer. When something resembling a large hairy hominid comes across our path in the woods, the need to know grows. Even when we speak with trustworthy eyewitnesses the search for knowledge can grow.

My goal has never been to prove BFs existence. My desire has been to enjoy the scientific method that includes reading eye witness reports and evidence found. The Forest People also provide a reason to walk the forest trails.

The search has also been lonely endeavor for me since family members mostly made fun of the topic. No one cared to take ten minutes to look at the evidence such as what's presented in Meldrum's books. When people close their minds and refuse to objectively view field evidence, it's time to shut down. After about five years of these reactions, I simply stopped sharing this scientific endeavor with family members.

My desire to know about bigfoot has not diminished, but I must accept that bigfoot may not cross my path again. Old reports of deceased BFs exist, and if true, this knowledge has slipped past us. However, I will always enjoy speaking with eyewitnesses and using the internet to connect with others about our Forest Friend. 

• Upvote 1

I don't have a long, rich history as some of you do. My foray into the bigfoot world began around 2005. Have seen or heard seven or eight things that could not be explained. Every time I was with someone else so we could volley the discussion back and forth about what just happened.

I haven't lost any interest. To the contrary, it has gathered steam. I do wish I had better technology the times when things have occurred. The addition of a thermal monocular might have revealed things the times things occurred. That is one arrow that will get added to my quiver by the start of next year.  Pulsar Helion series.

All-in-all, I am pleased how things are going with my sasquatchery. Heading out tomorrow morning for an overnight and will backpack into an area where there I've heard about two encounters occurring of reasonably-recent vintage. I've hiked in the area several times to scout it out. Remote and very squatchy with very little human activity. A stray hiker or hunter during the season. Otherwise, it's a veritable playland for Mr. Sasquatch.

I hope he wants to come out and play tomorrow.

For record, I'm not part of the kill club, don't agree with it but do understand where they're coming from. To each, their own.

12 minutes ago, georgerm said:

The search has also been lonely endeavor for me since family members mostly made fun of the topic. No one cared to take ten minutes to look at the evidence such as what's presented in Meldrum's books. When people close their minds and refuse to objectively view field evidence, it's time to shut down. After about five years of these reactions, I simply stopped sharing this scientific endeavor with family members.

I have been blessed as my family and friends all know of my passion for the subject. They always ask about my endeavors and I think that's because I've always offered up things I've seen and heard and what others I know have heard and and seen as well. Some are luke warm about it while others are truly fascinated with the whole subject but scared to death to go out in the woods.

I let them live this aspect of their life vicariously through me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The addition of a thermal monocular might have revealed things the times things occurred. That is one arrow that will get added to my quiver by the start of next year.  Pulsar Helion series

I've thought a lot about going this route myself :) I currently have a good trail cam and a low cost night vision unit. Both record video as well as photos. The trail cam also records sound with the video which is a nice feature. For most of us thermal imagers are way too pricey and that's what I've been wrestling with but there is possibly a way around this and at the risk of injecting this rather off topic subject into this thread I thought it might be worth considering.

I've researched simple infrared thermometers over the past year or so looking for a reasonable candidate for field research. Most are 10:1 or 12:1 which means they will read a 1 foot diameter surface temperature of an object at 10 or 12 feet away. I wanted something better so kept looking and found a unit for around $60 that will read a 1 foot diameter surface at 30 feet (10 yards). That's a very good distance for such a small diameter target. It means that at 60 feet (20 yards) it will read the temperature of an averaged surface area of around two feet which I think is excellent for using around camps and on trails.

Let's say it's night time and one hears activity or something approaching or wandering around the camp. Aim the thermometer in a certain direction and one might pick up a slightly higher temperature of something in the woods or in an open area. It may not be ideal if the ambient temperature of one's surroundings is over 90 degrees but when temps are cooler in the fall winter and spring then an area with a warm body could very well show a higher temp. Then then maybe a trail cam can be unobtrusively fired up and aimed at the spot or a night vision recorder that even shows an infrared eye which we normally wouldn't use because of the red glow. The infrared thermo's are pretty cheap, small, and light and if the range has some distance that also has a small circle of detection I can see where they could be very useful especially at night.

My apologies to everyone for this off-topic post

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Pretty clever hiflier. Kudos. I'm for anything that works.

I know someone who has a FLIR Scout TK and is pleased with it. It all depends on what you look for from the unit. The good news is that we're trying to detect the heat signature of an 8', 800lb, mammal not a rabbit or fox. So for detection purpose only, we don't need high-powered equipment.  To recognize, rather than detect, you need a clearer image. People will use these for hunting (hogs, fox) and need to be able to detection, recognize, and then confirm before shooting. We need only step one...to detect.

I've done enough research to know that these units can be purchased in the $600 range (Scout TK), then add approximately $1,000 for each step up....$1600 (Pulsar Quantum XQ23V), $2,500 (Pulsar Helion XQ30F), $3,400 (Pulsar Helion XP28).

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, BobbyO said:

My belief is more so that as humans from the civilized world, we don't like being outsmarted, at all.

And when we do, like we seemingly are by this animal, and even when many have had what they believe to be encounters with these things, the element of doubt STILL comes as we quite simply think we are the best things on this planet since sliced bread, and we have a hard time understanding and then accepting that we may not be.

Especially where this subject is concerned and especially in the domain of this subject anyway.

The big fellow is running circles around us. This is fine with me since BF is possibly totally content without us and will remain healthy regardless of how much we spray and cut up the forest. It's kind of like not being invited to a party. It's BF's party and the guests are the birds, squirrels, and frogs but humans are not invited.

We may have to accept the fact that BF is way smarter than us and is able to detect humans long before we detect BF. I've sometimes wondered if BF carefully selects those who get to see it.

Is BF the original environmentalist that could lead human kind away from our destructive manner? Lots of questions out there.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The good news is that we're trying to detect the heat signature of an 8', 800lb, mammal not a rabbit or fox. So for detection purpose only, we don't need high-powered equipment.  To recognize, rather than detect, you need a clearer image

Exactly, which is why I think a cheap infrared thermometer with good range would work. Assuming an 8', 800 lb. emits a body temperature of more than say, 95 degrees F then the thermometer should be able to pick up a general area that is warmer than the surroundings. That's all it would take. Trees and rocks take time to cool down from whatever solar gain they receive during the day. Leaves and shrubbery cool down much faster so a warm body in the vicinity should display a higher reading.

Like thermal imagers though, it will only detect temperature differences on a surface and NOT penetrate through anything. The difference of course is the thermometer, as you say, will not show an image. But all one needs to know is that something is there. Being ready by having a trail cam set on burst hidden say, inside of a bag, then all one has to do is pull it out and aim it in the direction of the thermal signature. And since trail cams are already designed for night images but BF avoid them (fill in one's own thoughts here) one might be able to get the jump on a curious interloper.........  

Edited by hiflier

When you live in the middle of two large cities, surrounded by houses and roads, and some open areas, it is easier to question whether such a creature could move about and survive in such close proximity to humans. The doubt is just how on earth they are able to manage that where I live, not somewhere far more remote. I also know what I heard and the lack of explanation for that situation. I also can listen back to my recordings and know somethings are only explained by human activity or something else with a hand like ours, it could have been human activity, although I highly doubt it given all the surrounding circumstance. It is harder for me to believe it was human activity than something unknown. The pinning the unknown to Sasquatch is still hard to swallow, but I am stuck with that possibility. I have just let go of trying to force the issue, I now will let the issue force me.

I have followed your posts with interest for at least a couple of years LCB and remember your comments on seasonal migration routs through your area. We are getting closer to that time of year once again so how about giving it a bit more time until at least winter sets in? If you succeed in picking up a thermal imager by January as you said then the colder temps should show anything coming through with a greater temperature difference. But in the end you may be right in waiting for any BF's to make the first move. I wish you luck.