norseman

Homo Naledi intentionally hid dead

11 posts in this topic

Reinforces the belief that cranial capacity or volume will never tell the true story of human intelligence and culture.  Bigger is not always better. 

And there are several adaptive reasons to do it. These haven't changed too much over the intervening eons either.

More exciting stuff as the tangled weave of modern and archaic humans is unfolding now: 

https://www.archaeology.org/news/5956-170929-human-molecular-clock

Also mentioned the probable convergent evolution of multiple anatomically modern humans in Africa is on the table. 

Fits right in with this thread, eh?!

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/125-1403/trenches/1806-human-dna-homo-heidelbergensis-denisovan-lineage

Heidelbergensis seems to never go away in these discussions too. 

Edited by bipedalist

Norse, what part of this opens new doors to humans and BFs?

http://www.newsweek.com/homo-naledi-buried-dead-south-africa-lesedi-chamber-evolution-605693?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo_news&utm_campaign=rss-related&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news    the article that Norse posted.

Quote from the corrected article"     "...................        As well as providing a greater fossil record for this new species, the discovery also raises many questions about our understanding of the evolution of H. sapiens. Around 300,000 years ago—when H. naledi would have walked alongside our ancestors—modern human behavior was just starting to emerge. This includes self-adornment and tool use."

Why hide our dead relatives? Was this out of respect or was this to hide the dead from our rival? The rival may eat the remains or desecrate another species dead relatives. This would be very insultive and may cause a war resulting in more dead. So is this a behavioral code to hide the dead for several reasons?. 

We have no record of BF being around then. Are there BF remains somewhere in places such as the Oregon Caves?  

16 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Reinforces the belief that cranial capacity or volume will never tell the true story of human intelligence and culture.  Bigger is not always better. 

I dont know about all that.....

But its certainly pushing back when human like traits arose.

Point is human-like traits arose in multiple convergent human-likes simultaneously or in close proximity or at least that is where we are heading. 

Floresiensis was tiny brained but no less human. 

Edited by bipedalist

Sure looks like science and us are in for quite a ride because of this second discovery. The first discovery was amazing enough, but this? Just WOW!

Yes, Berger and his crew of cave rats figured out amost immediately the location of the remains raised some real questions about possible interment practices. I had this image of them depositing their dead like books at the drive-thru return at the library when he described it in his book "Almost Human"....strongly recommended reading for anyone interested in this topic.  

As as for the possible adaptive purposes....We have discussed them on occasion here. Top of the list is probably a strategy to avoid drawing predators into your living and foraging areas. Avoiding disease is another.  If you have an adaptive avoidance of eating your own dead, to avoid prion ingestion, you can't just gobble them up and suck their bones clean. Also, given the heightened intelligence of these almost-humans, you can't discount the idea it just satisfied some emotional, dare we say spiritual urge.

Ancient man has always had spiritual beliefs.     Before science, it helped explain the unknown, or explainable.   I  think BF most likely has strong spiritual beliefs because of their seeming lack of technical bent.   Perhaps those beliefs and internment of bodies is why we do not find them.    I have always imagined some lava tube that is cold and dry packed full of BF bodies.  

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

I have always imagined some lava tube that is cold and dry packed full of BF bodie

And I have always thought that underground is how they operate in general.