Belief in Reality of Bigfoot

Explorer

Per 2017 Chapman University survey, about 16% of Americans believe in reality of Bigfoot creature (see link below).

Number appears high given that nobody in my family, coworkers, college friends, neighbors, backpacking friends, etc. believe in such.

I was in such camp until I had my sighting. 

Also surprising is that BF belief ranks way below belief that Atlantis existed (a claim with no physical evidence based on ancient stories).

Not surprising that belief in aliens visiting earth is above BF belief, given that the US Air Force investigated UFOs for years (1947-1969) and took it seriously.

https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/2017/10/11/paranormal-america-2017/

I don't know how accurate or statistically significant is this survey.  Thus, I am not sure if it truly represents American beliefs.

Chapman-Fear-Survey-2017-Paranormal-Beliefs.jpg

• Upvote 1

On the Bigfoot fron one would think that the sources that the Bigfoot believers have used would be a factor in the survey. In other words what would be the basis for reasoning behind their belief? It has been a research question that has always been in the back of my mind- how do I view the evidence and how do I use that evidence to secure a type of conviction for existence? It hasn't been easy or simple and I think that would be true for most if not all non-knowers. It's why most of us are here: to see if there is something that says without a doubt that this creature is- or, at sometime in the recent past- was real.

In the last few days I have finally stepped over that hurdle. And all it took was some reasoned common sense.The real issue for me now is are the creatures STILL out there. The evidence says yes, they are, but the techniques used to discover them to the science and the public's satisfaction have not succeeded in proving that. So for many belief is all that is left. I'm not a believer, I'm a thinker and so I will, as always, think of ways to secure that proof. The PGF is the PGF but what is going on out there now has taken center stage. nd it has taken center stage in a way that it never has before.

I just have to figure out what to do about it.

Edited by hiflier

I would say outta all of them? Bigfoot should be one of the easier mysteries to verify....

Looking for things on the ocean floor is problematic. Although they have found sunken civilizations in the Med and in the Indian ocean. How do you verify that any of them are Atlantis? Or that they posessed modern technology?

Ghosts? I watch Ghost hunters on TV occasionally and some of their evidence is compelling. Video and audio stuff thats creepy. But how can it ever be conclusive? Your not collecting a hair or scat sample....

Past or present aliens? Forget it. If real and present? The human researcher is the one most likely to be probed and studied..... not the other way around.

Fortune tellers and telekinesis stuff has been thoroughly debunked by people like James Randi and other magicians turned skeptics. Caveat Emptor.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, norseman said:

would say outta all of them? Bigfoot should be one of the easier mysteries to verify.

So on point, Norseman. In fact your entire post is on point. It begs the question of so what gives? People believe all kinds of things but I doubt 99% do much more that accept the belief without more proof than reading about something. To find something out for one's self is key IMHO. Making a determination about what's real or not in the paranormal requires putting pieces together in a way that leaves little or no wiggle room for truth to be evident. It's why I came here- to see if someone had done that with Bigfoot. Well, someone had but I didn't know it. It would have saved me a few years of research had that info been present from the beginning.

And while the issue of the PGF has now been settle for me it opens up so many other questions that it looks as though I'll still be busy for quite some time yet :) Probably should picked another line of interest and research.............maybe like clowns or sumpin'.. 

The largest part of my fascination with this subject is related to the almost willful failure of otherwise reasonable and rational people to accept what their senses are telling them.  I think this explains the low % of people who are willing to go on record as accepting the idea of BF. After all, what threat is it to you to believe that Atlantis was real? It is also significantly easier to accept there are "others" in the cosmos than the idea they might actually be living in the woods outside of your town. The reactionary position taken by many skeptics and the menu of pat thoughtstoppers they employ is coming from a very primitive place in the human psyche. It is a tender spot that doesn't play well with challenges to its closely held beliefs.  I have to tell you, it took me years of study and thought to reorient my opinion of my place in the world in light of the information I could not deny existing, and it was at times very, very disconcerting to my equilibrium given my lifetime of outdoor activities up to that point.  And I had the will to do it, only because I have always wanted to face the world on real terms, not ones I wished to be true. If you don't have that pre-disposition? You are almost certainly going to prefer to be in the other 84 %, clapping your hands over your ears while chanting "Na...Na...Na...Na..."  

• Upvote 2

"Belief" isn't part of my equation.   When someone asks if I "believe in" bigfoot, the answer is "not exactly: I've seen them.  It is not mere belief, it is knowledge."   

MIB 

• Upvote 2

WSA:

The survey did not pose the question "Are we alone in the universe?"

The survey asked twice "Have aliens ever visited Earth, past or present?"

I find the idea of Bigfoot prowling around my mountain, infinitely less scary than being targeted by aliens. In fact its such a scary, helpless feeling that I generally just push it out of my mind. I have seen weird lights in my skies doing weird flight maneuvers. I just tell myself over and over that its top secret flights of my own military. Beacuse if its not? There is absolutely zero that I could do to defend myself or my family. Your bucking millions of years of technological advancement. You lose....

Edited by norseman

If that was truly the case? Then yes, you lose, we all lose. And with Sasquatch discovery a lot of folks will also lose. And some of those losers will be some pretty heavy hitters. They will, in fact, be the biggest dogs on the block.

Edited by hiflier

41 minutes ago, MIB said:

"Belief" isn't part of my equation.   When someone asks if I "believe in" bigfoot, the answer is "not exactly: I've seen them.  It is not mere belief, it is knowledge."   

MIB 

To which they respond... your either mistaken or crazy.

• Upvote 2

When facts are removed from the equation, then Humans have nothing left but their emotions, and that's when and where things usually go astray

10 minutes ago, norseman said:

To which they respond... your either mistaken or crazy.

Not in person.  You'd be surprised how many people are more circumspect when they don't get to hide behind the anonymity of the internet.  

MIB

Of course.

The weight of the lead in your britches gets weighed immediately when faced with a physical altercation.

Discreation becomes the better part of valor often.

Edited by norseman

Oh, I dunno Norseman.  Asking if maybe sometime, whenever, some little green people touched down? The earth is old and very large, and then they probably left. Much less scary that having to countenance the idea of a 7', 500lb hairy many lurking just outside the halo of my security floodlight when I have to go feed the livestock. If I was the 12 y.o. now I once was, going out before the dawn to throw hay down, I'm not sure I'd have been able to do it. Hell, I was hardly able to do it THEN!

Guest OntarioSquatch

Popularity isn’t a reliable indicator of quality or truthfulness, but I believe there’s some truth to every one of those theories listed, and that the phenomena are all more or less closely related. 

24 minutes ago, WSA said:

Oh, I dunno Norseman.  Asking if maybe sometime, whenever, some little green people touched down? The earth is old and very large, and then they probably left. Much less scary that having to countenance the idea of a 7', 500lb hairy many lurking just outside the halo of my security floodlight when I have to go feed the livestock. If I was the 12 y.o. now I once was, going out before the dawn to throw hay down, I'm not sure I'd have been able to do it. Hell, I was hardly able to do it THEN!

I live in Grizzly bear country, plus Cougars, Blacks, Wolves, etc could be waiting for me in the darkness. I respect the danger of the situation, but a rifle and a dog are powerful allies. Bigfoot being real is just another creature to look out for.

I dont fear it otherwise I would sell out and move to a condo in a big city. :)

Little green people as you put it, would hopefully be friendly, but as advanced as they would need to be for interstellar travel? They would probably view us as ants to be stepped on.

• Upvote 2