• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter
NathanFooter

Unknown Nest 10/28/2017 WA

10 posts in this topic

This is a small nest discovered 10/28/2017  on a short ridge that separates the main river from an overflow channel.   The general area is several miles into the mouth of a collective river valley that climbs to average peak elevations of 4000 and 5500 feet.  

The nest site was discovered at the bottom of the valley roughly at 920 elevation, over a mile down stream of another river valleys convergence point.

Photos of localized plant damage and nest.

20171028_163451.jpg20171028_163356.jpg

Photos from previous trips into the area. 

20170512_170606.jpg20170818_134515.jpg20170519_172830.jpg

Edited by NathanFooter
Needed to embed link.

Have you seen any tracks or other sign in the area?

Yes, we have found large impressions around this location and about 3 miles deeper into the valley upstream.

There are several reports from the area, road crossing of a male and female and a more recent track discovery.

Area apex predators and quarry confirmed? Check.  

It is hard to tell from the photo just how "organized" that possible bedding site is, but I would consider that black bear have been known to leave that kind of imprint, and even to accumulate forest duff and leaves for that purpose. Here in the South where I live, they will even "hibernate" using that technique in milder winters. Don't know if that holds true for your area, but it "bears" ;) ruling out.

Nathan the picture just above the one with the Fred Meyers card has something interesting in the distance just right of the larger tree in the center of the picture about a third of the way from the top.   .     Have no idea what it is but when I enlarged the picture there is something strange there.    No suggestion it is a BF but my eyes went right to it when I first saw the picture.   What was your reason for publishing the picture?   

Edited by SWWASAS
Adding content

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Nathan the picture just above the one with the Fred Meyers card has something interesting in the distance just right of the larger tree in the center of the picture about a third of the way from the top.   .     Have no idea what it is but when I enlarged the picture there is something strange there.    No suggestion it is a BF but my eyes went right to it when I first saw the picture.   What was your reason for publishing the picture?   

It was an old growth stump, there was several down slope.    I included the additional photos to give example of the area.

Nice find! Be careful with cougars out there. Your packing right?

Hi NathanFooter,

The first thing that comes to my mind after watching your video and looking at the photos of the ferns is it looks like a mountain beaver might of did it.

Was there a mountain beaver hole/s nearby?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/mtn_beavers.html

On 11/21/2017 at 10:24 AM, norseman said:

Nice find! Be careful with cougars out there. Your packing right?

I have a nice little EAA 357 with a 2 & 1/4 snub, that is my trail piece.

I found a den under some tree roots and wondered what it was since the burrows were fairly large.      It was right in the middle of a bunch of sword ferns.    Now I know.    It was very near a BF encounter location and I wondered at the time if the BF were interested in what was in the den.    It almost looked like something had been trying to get at what was in the den by digging it out.    Of course that could have been any predator.