• Announcements

• masterbarber

T shirt fund drive   07/17/2018

norseman has designed a t shirt and started a fund drive on custom ink. He is going to split the proceeds between the BFF and Project Grendel.  "We all owe this website a tremendous debt of gratitude. Our community and history would not exist without it. As far as the Project Grendel proceeds, I would like to see it go towards the purchase of a thermal scope."
      -norseman     https://www.customink.com/fundraising/sasquatch-hunter
WSA

The Stranger in the Woods

18 posts in this topic

I recently read this book, which has some tangential relevance to this field, I believe.  More specifically: What does it take to hide in close proximity to a population of humans, while depending on that population for your everyday requirements for food, warmth and shelter? Well, as it turns out, the answer is: You steal.  Continuously.  What is fascinating about this story though is how rudimentary this man's skills were and he remained unseen and undetected (except for two brief encounters) for 27 years. Really, he was not all that sophisticated in how he met his needs. HIs encampment was a permanent one and it was not remote in the least.  A creature who might need even marginally less accoutrement would probably have an exceptional chance of going undetected for even a longer period.   

Cover artCover art

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit

Michael FinkelMarch 7, 2017
Sold by Knopf

The question is was he truly unseen or just unnoticed?  I haven’t read the book so I cannot speculate....but there would be a rather big difference. People could have seen him and just ignored him without him knowing.   Just saying.

I see little relevance.

Sasquatch represents a member of a breeding population of very large creatures. 

And even at that this hobo was indeed caught after 27 years. And he didnt have to worry about finding a mate or rearing offspring. Or finding enough food for his 800 lbs frame.

I do not believe a population of Sasquatch could sustain this lifestyle for long without being found out.

They must reside in a remote places with few humans around. And avoid interaction at all costs minus accidental meetings.

13 minutes ago, norseman said:

I see little relevance.

I do not believe a population of Sasquatch could sustain this lifestyle for long without being found out.

The problem here is that you are judging what the Sasquatch people can & can't do & what they need, by human standards.

Apples and basketballs.

Thats the whole point of this thread....hello?

The OP is positing the theory that Bigfoot like the hobo can live in close proximity to humans. And sustain itself by stealing from them.

Hobo=Human standards

Think of it this way...and you really should read the whole story too...a human with OUR level of material need was able to stay concealed (not just unnoticed) with only base-level skills for almost three decades. Scale back those material needs to what we hypothesize a BF needs, along with exponentially more skills and physical prowess? You approach an almost infinite capacity for furtiveness. Need to breed, family size, etc.?  Well, that sort of pales beside the example of the material needs of the typical man, this one being no exception. (Think: Hundreds of LP gas tanks for starters).

Add this to points to ponder too. Despite a campaign of homeowners to try and capture this guy, only one picture on a security camera was ever taken, and the Maine Game Warden who eventually got the drop on him was able to do it only by using classified technology he obtained from Homeland Security.    

Plus this...he stayed rooted in one place, more or less. Think how the possibilities expand when you have a territory to forage in.  Plus, this guy didn't eat dog food either.

Yes, stealing is one aspect of the comparison (and how many BFRO reports of homeowners document some level of pilfering dog food, chickens, livestock, crops, fruits, etc?).  The other is just the sheer ability to be discreet, be nocturnal and maintain situational awareness at all times. If this guy could do it, it would be small potatoes for the critter we've seen described over and over.

Twist: No, before too much time they were looking for him, hard. For his part, he was doing everything he could do to stay hidden. Only twice was he spotted. Once he passed a hiker on a remote trail, and merely said "Hi" (the only word he spoke out loud for 27 years). The other time, three ice fishermen were bushwhacking towards his hidden camp, and he chose to expose himself to distract them (sounds kind of familiar, huh?)  Those three recognized him to probably be "The Hermit" , but agreed to not tell anyone. He didn't talk to them on that occasion, just nodded.    

I would agree with you if we were searching for one lone hobo Bigfoot out there.....somewhere. Absolutely.

It goes out the window when you apply it to a breeding population of large animals numbered in the hundreds? Thousands?

I'm still inclined to believe that Sasquatch is solitary mostly and avoids humans at all costs. And it does what it does without the need of human scraps.

I watched a documentary on this guy.....don't remember where. I'll look.

Here is your book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Thomas_Knight

A fascinating story Norse.

I think you might be missing my point though. Each animal has unique needs, definitely. What Christopher Knight needed is proportional to what BF needs. They are much different needs only. But both list of needs must be met clandestinely....he by necessity, BF by nature...and the skill set for concealment Knight had is probably a mere shadow of what a BF typically has. 

There are some skills he did have though that were quite remarkable, although I think anybody would develop them if they had the practice and a reason. He realized early on that tracks would give him away very quickly. What to do about it? Well, only tread on rocks and roots when using trails. Snow? Make a raid when you know a new snow is coming, to hide those tracks.  It is a fascinating study in covert woodland operations. You would enjoy reading it immensely, I would predict.    

I sort of view it to be, whatever disadvantages a Sasquatch has due to population numbers, it would more than compensate for it with heightened skills, and a much broader range of habitat to exploit. This guy had to stay near humans to meet his needs, Sasquatch could make that optional. Judging from the BFRO reports, that is exactly what a BF does do.

How did he know a new snow was coming? He had stolen and would listen to the radio.....

I'm not thoroughly impressed with this guy. I like Dick Proenneke much better, and a much more successful mountain man. The story though is very interesting.

And I'm not missing the point. I'm trying to point out that it's easy to be clandestine until you throw wives and babies and teenagers into the mix. And if your numbers are in the thousands? The chances of someone in the family slipping up? Climb exponentially......... Hungry babies, Birthing pains, Teething, Love sick teenagers, Fever and sickness, Broken bones, Hunger, Killing prey, On and on and on...... plenty of life problems that do not bode well with being clandestine.

The only way to guarantee your clandestine existence with family in tow? Is to stay far, far away from humans. IMO.

Here in Florida they have very little choice but to live some what close to humans.  There are many reports of them going through dumpsters and trash cans.  I have footprint pics that I will post that are under an 8 lane highway with an apartment complex on the other side.   If you go farther there are restaurants and grocery stores all have dumpsters  with cover next to them.   They may not depend on us but I think they will take advantage of our thrown away food.  One place I have found prints we found a tent were someone was living.  We have not seen him yet but if I ever do I will ask him if he ever has strange things happen there.  Each part of this country is different so what applies in the PNW or Ohio or Texas are all different because of habitat.  BF has to adjust to where they live.  If it's BC they may never see people.  I am pretty sure that they do not need us to survive but will utilize us when the opportunity presents it's self. 

Except, by all of the accounts, they don’t stay away from people.  I am not impressed with him either. He was a seriously messed up unit. Which is my main point. Even he could pull it off. 

Right, he had a radio. Don’t think a critter like BF would need one though to know snow is coming. Do you? Bet he could predict that pretty well too. As can you, I’ll bet.

I would agree offspring complicate the picture. It is unlikely the nursery is in the same proximity to humans that solo animals and bachelor pairs might keep....a WAG.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Here in Florida they have very little choice but to live some what close to humans.  There are many reports of them going through dumpsters and trash cans.  I have footprint pics that I will post that are under an 8 lane highway with an apartment complex on the other side.   If you go farther there are restaurants and grocery stores all have dumpsters  with cover next to them.   They may not depend on us but I think they will take advantage of our thrown away food.  One place I have found prints we found a tent were someone was living.  We have not seen him yet but if I ever do I will ask him if he ever has strange things happen there.  Each part of this country is different so what applies in the PNW or Ohio or Texas are all different because of habitat.  BF has to adjust to where they live.  If it's BC they may never see people.  I am pretty sure that they do not need us to survive but will utilize us when the opportunity presents it's self. 

Cool info, and I totally agree that they don't need us, but will use opportunities that it makes sense to use. 

1 hour ago, WSA said:

Except, by all of the accounts, they don’t stay away from people.  I am not impressed with him either. He was a seriously messed up unit. Which is my main point. Even he could pull it off. 

Right, he had a radio. Don’t think a critter like BF would need one though to know snow is coming. Do you? Bet he could predict that pretty well too. As can you, I’ll bet.

I would agree offspring complicate the picture. It is unlikely the nursery is in the same proximity to humans that solo animals and bachelor pairs might keep....a WAG.

I think those are good points, good bets, and good guesses!

I remember when that story first broke here in Maine. I mean a year or two maybe. But for 27 years? I was amazed. Part of his shopping list was a lot of books and batteries......a LOT of batteries.

Edited by hiflier

On 11/17/2017 at 3:29 PM, norseman said:

I see little relevance.

Sasquatch represents a member of a breeding population of very large creatures. 

And even at that this hobo was indeed caught after 27 years. And he didnt have to worry about finding a mate or rearing offspring. Or finding enough food for his 800 lbs frame.

They must reside in a remote places with few humans around. And avoid interaction at all costs minus accidental meetings.

You always bring up very good logical reasons as to why I am quite confident the creature doesn't exist. Ironically you think they exist. 

1 minute ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

You always bring up very good logical reasons as to why I am quite confident the creature doesn't exist. Ironically you think they exist. 

Well, I have a trackway I cannot explain under my belt.

Without that trackway I probably would not give this subject a second thought.

And I didn’t say it couldn’t exist......I just said it couldn’t as a species use the same survival strategy as the hobo.