Yeti vs Bear DNA

Martin

Nice read and thanks for sharing. 

I agree that mythical creatures are usually based on misidentified real creatures and of course imagination induced by fear of the unknown. 

"That previous paper didn’t really prove what it claimed to prove. It looked at a sequence of mitochondrial DNA (yes, the powerhouse of the cell is used in genetic sequencing), but the particular region the scientists focused on is highly conserved in bear populations. That means that polar and brown and black bears all have extremely similar, if not identical, sequences there. It makes no sense to claim that a sample matched an ancient polar bear based on this stretch of DNA, because that sequence would match almost any bear."

When I first opened the link on my iphone it automatically loaded the article about 2/3 the way down but right on a new paragraph.  I read down to the bottom wondering why it seemed so abrupt berore realizing it.  Maybe that is why Norse.   

Admin

You guys need to upgrade to the Android platform...

Or, maybe get an actual C O M P U T E R.  Tapping around on tiny screens is great but, a mouse, a keyboard and a big screen is where it's at!   8  )~

Edited by xspider1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, xspider1 said:

Or, maybe get an actual C O M P U T E R.  Tapping around on tiny screens is great but, a mouse, a keyboard and a big screen is where it's at!   8  )~

Even on my PC, that article came on screen with the first 1/3 of it hidden up-screen; very odd. Good article, but it assumes that all Yeti sightings/tracks are bear, and not something else not yet found, which of course can never be proven either way.

7 hours ago, gigantor said:

You guys need to upgrade to the Android platform...

Switched from Android to Apple 3 years ago and never looked back, love my iphone and ipad.  

7 hours ago, xspider1 said:

The actual computer has to stay home while I'm at work and even when I am home I more often find myself using the phone cause it's right by my side always.  It may also be a little because its the closest thing I have to a Star Trek tricorder !

• Upvote 1

This article hit mainstream news yesterday....Fox news.

Makes me wonder if hiflier and others have a point in the other thread....

Why would this make the news and others not?

The article Oonjerah quoted had some text in all caps. 

The new work is more robust, Barnett said, probably “the most rigorous in terms of samples and sequence lengths.” Where snippets of DNA revealed YET, Lindqvist’s deep genetic dive produced “ALL THE SAMPLES ARE BROWN BEARS YET PEOPLE STILL BELIEVE,” Barnett said. “Very little chance of matching that string to something else by chance.”

These disinformation people are getting desperate........ They've resorted to shouting to get the disinformation out. 

But I feel sorry for them. I don't know what I would do if my boss, like the scientists' bosses, or a newspaper editor down the line, leaned over me, as scientist or journalist, and said, "Do this, or you're fired."

Bucking authority takes courage.