gigantor

Netflix - Discovering Bigfoot

71 posts in this topic

Netflix has the "Discovering Bigfoot" documentary by Tod Standing.

I watched it tonight and it was pretty interesting, it's worth the time. He takes Jeff Meldrum and John Bindernagle to his research location and shows them what he has found. The good thing about it is that it debunks the claims that Meldrum/Bindernagle are associated with Standing or partners in his efforts in any way. I also did come out with a better opinion of Standing after watching the film.

netflix-bigfoot.PNG

https://www.netflix.com/title/80210182

Will be checking this one out soon. Thanks for the heads up!

I've always been suspect of Standing and his evidence but after having seen this program I'm now convinced beyond a doubt that he is a fraud. I believe he may have had genuine encounters over the years but none of his footage appears legitimate.

He gets "fantastic" HD close up shots of the creatures faces (whose eyes might blink but there are no other muscular movements - however slight) but can't get any footage of the rest of their bodies unless they are some distance away, with only their back to the camera?

Haven't seen it, but I think his credibility is out the window, be interested to see/hear what Jeff an John make of it all, although just bein' associated with this guy...makes me shutter for them.

Watched it last night.  Pretty much the same clips that have been played over and over and over.  Another new mask has been introduced in the prop cabinet though - at least this one is pretty scary looking.  Of course all you can see is a face as it's peeking through a hole in the downfall, but it does look pretty convincing. 

Tried watching this last nite too. I love bigfoot documentaries but this one bored the hell out of me.

20 hours ago, PBeaton said:

Haven't seen it, but I think his credibility is out the window, be interested to see/hear what Jeff an John make of it all, although just bein' associated with this guy...makes me shutter for them.

Absolutely. His name alone turns me away. Anything he is associated with screams fraud. 

To the person who started this thread. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

51 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Absolutely. His name alone turns me away. Anything he is associated with screams fraud. 

To the person who started this thread. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

ditto that...

As well as promote his $4500 USD per person "expeditions".

On 12/18/2017 at 7:38 PM, PBeaton said:

He made the news here briefly not long ago, as mentioned, all likely a gimmick promotin' his documentary as mention.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-joke-b-c-minister-laughs-off-lawsuit-claiming-proof-of-bigfoot-1.3656876

Edited by langfordbc

^ Can you imagine ! haha ! :o 

(Just started watching)

So now Todd Standing is a trained military sniper too? 

(Deep sigh)

On 12/25/2017 at 7:06 PM, slabdog said:

(Just started watching)

So now Todd Standing is a trained military sniper too? 

(Deep sigh)

Not to mention the dozens of other special skills he listed off. His parkour in the woods just screamed special military training. /s

I have many reactions and opinions about this film.  First, Todd Standing has a very annoying personality.  I doubt I could spend 5 minutes in conversation with someone like him.  He is very pushy and I felt the majority of the film was him haranguing Bindernagel and Meldrum to get them to conform to his viewpoint.  Everything he said to them was a leading statement or questions.  That bothered me a great deal. 

He may in fact have a valid habituation site and be a good tracker.  He clearly is a committed outdoorsman.  I do wonder why he is not a better filmmaker for all the effort he goes through to make his points.  The man strikes me as desperate to be taken seriously and also desperate to be recognized as someone important in bigfootery.

If the footage of his alleged 50x zoom clear images of Bigfoots hiding behind trees is valid then why just show those clips?  Why not show the reality TV style of him in action making the zoom as he alleges?  Just showing clear clips makes it look like a deliberate edit to fake the shot with puppets.  

The whole apples sequence is compelling but again, he fails to be fully convincing.  If he truly is able to draw these creatures to him for being in their territory then why not use a gopro with a thermal imager?  Why have this elaborate camp site setup where he is kicking his only light source and the camera is fixed solely straight ahead.  He knows they are coming since allegedly the "night before was sick action" then have more than one angle.  His whole setup seemed elaborate with expensive equipment but poorly executed.

I did not detect any noticeable fake audio mix but these days that can always be faked.  The gutteral growl of the alpha bearing down on him was the most convincing piece of footage IMO.  Then when he has the alpha in his sights he screams uncle and wards him off with a flare.  I would think brave Todd would stand his ground and get the money shot!

The problem with Todd is his personality and his methods.  If he can settle down and make the habituation camera angles more important than him messing around with the PhD guys to try and gain him credibility he may be able to do a better filmmaking job.  Somehow I doubt he will ever overcome himself though.

Edited by Arvedis

Sounds like this is the same video, or close to it, that he premiered in Seattle just before Thanksgiving of 2014.  My wife and I were visiting our kids and grandkids for the holiday and attended that showing and reported on it here at the time (don't recall the name of the thread). In truth, after driving 600 miles from Helena to Seattle during the day, it would have taken quite a bit to impress me; suffice to say that neither one of us was overwhelmed by the production. I chatted briefly with Todd and he seems a nice enough fellow, but I'm not buying what he's selling. I started watching the production on Netflix on Thursday evening, 12/28, coincidentally having just returned home three hours earlier after spending Christmas in Seattle, but only made it about five minutes in and just couldn't subject my winter driving frazzled psyche to any more.

Credit where it's due though, it may be that the exposure on Netflix will aid in mainstreaming the subject matter. To the casual viewer the technical matters are not especially relevant so it could be the old saw that any publicity is good publicity.