SRN- The Sasquatch Research Network

hiflier

Guest OntarioSquatch

Trog, thanks for the statististics in the above post. I didn’t think anyone bothered to keep track of the time between alleged experiences and their submission.

Gigantor, you work with a partner. Sometimes other researchers do too. Is there any compensation? Insurance waivers? I don't think there is. 800 number? For a national organization perhaps, but not for a what amounts to a neighborhood group. Again this is not an organization. If I advertise on craigslist it's free. If I want a website it can be free or. Domain name? $10 a year. Compensation for gas to get to an interview? Nope. If someone is interested in joining in on a search? It's up to them with no expectation of compensation. If they expect it then that cannot participate unless they want to on their own. The goal is to document a Sasquatch- not make money.

I've never been compensated or sponsored for any of my research and have never asked for a dime from anyone. Have you? Has Thomas Steenburg or any of the group he does research with outside of book sales or offering tours? No one is going to be asked to join a group with the idea that they will be somehow given money to do so. IMHO it would set a precedent that currently doesn't exist unless you are someone like a Tom Slick wo funded research. I personally know of no one who will do that. If someone is interested enough to want to be a part of such an endeavor rather that go out on their own then I would think anyone would welcome the help.

If 6 people want to go out together and search the woods as a group then fine. If they don't but would rather wait until a report creates an opportunity to go and search in a more defined situation then that's what this idea is for. An example might be after placing an ad a call comes in: "I live in xxxxxx and I think I just saw a Bigfoot". I send out a blanket message to the 5 other people and say I'm on my way to the area. "Joe sends a message and  says he/she is closest to the witness and so that's who will conduct the interview.

That's a very important step right there because the location and direction of travel can be gotten fro m the witness so that the other 5 in route can determine where each will locate themselves to begin patrolling. It would waste valuable time to have everyone meet and then start their search. Do the search first and then meet up afterwards to discuss any results should there be any. Otherwise everyone just goes back home.

In Maine that might happen only once every three years. Or every ten years. Researchers might be out on their own thirty times by the time one report comes in. After all this isn't like UFO's which generate 500-1000 reports a year. With BF there might be four a year or none. No expeditions, no TV shows, No documentaries, Nothing. How many sightings in the PacNW a year? West Virginia? Oklahoma? Ohio? Florida? To find a small group in any given area that wants to go out and check out an area around a report, do an interview, and go home should require any organized anything beyond having a phone and a map of the area. Oh yes, and a camera ;) 

Edited by hiflier

22 hours ago, OntarioSquatch said:

Trog, thanks for the statististics in the above post. I didn’t think anyone bothered to keep track of the time between alleged experiences and their submission.

Only us obsessive-compulsives...

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Gigantor, you work with a partner. Sometimes other researchers do too. Is there any compensation? Insurance waivers? I don't think there is.

Ummm ... probably should recheck that.  :)

Depends on the size of the group, organization, who is included ... what their liability is.    Varies from a couple people going camping to organized expeditions.   Somewhere liability waivers and even NDAs start showing up.    I've been on a couple, somewhere between the extremes, where no $$ changed hands but there were still liability waivers.

Question then. I have friends who hunt. Sometimes they get together at a hunting camp and set up a drive. A couple of shooters will get set up and a couple of guys will drive deer towards the shooters. I have never heard anyone mention starting anything like an organization, or discussing liability issues, or compensation, or anything like who get the deer. The one who shoots it gets it. He may divvy up venison meat later after butchering but it's not something that's in writing and I really doubt one of them will take another to court or sue them for any reason other than if there's a case of one shooting another through neglect by not making sure of what they ere shooting at.

I see no difference between that and having a group of guys doing essentially the same thing when following up on a report. Am I missing something here? I mean if I place an ad on say, craigslist, looking for anyone interested in filing a report or doing a follow up investigation I don't see the issue. TECHNICALLY yes, there could be issues, but beyond a gentleman's agreement involving looking for a sasquatch to photograph there should be no risk or compensations necessary. What's the world coming to when a bunch of guys/gals can't get together and look for li'l ol' Bigfoot hoping to get a selfie with it??  

What you imagine is not how it is.  Sorry.  It just isn't.   You need less imagining and more experience.  :(

MIB

• Upvote 2

Agreed, it needs people and field testing with a few dry runs. And the only thing I can say for certain? It won't be tomorrow ;) 

Edited by hiflier

8 hours ago, hiflier said:

Agreed, it needs people and field testing with a few dry runs. And the only thing I can say for certain? It won't be tomorrow ;) 

Let's get back to the black triangles then. :D

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Let's get back to the black triangles then. :D

Cool :) But ya know, if one wanted to track those also when they fly over then a similar network could be in place where folks could call someone further along and ahead of where the things were going. I worked on that idea on a UFO Forum and no one wanted to partake. Easiest way to follow and maybe determine where they land? 

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Cool :) But ya know, if one wanted to track those also when they fly over then a similar network could be in place where folks could call someone further along and ahead of where the things were going. I worked on that idea on a UFO Forum and no one wanted to partake. Easiest way to follow and maybe determine where they land? 

I think the idea, BF or UFO, is too complicated to pull off without 1) a central figurehead and 2) some funding.

^^^^ I'm inclined to agree ... "but".   And the "but" part is if the media treated either topic more respectfully, there might be more "organic" participation by people who really aren't enthusiasts but saw something.   Their data points might help present a pattern.   So far as resources, regarding black triangles, the only groups that have resources are the military and air traffic control.  I don't think there are organized groups that have sufficient resources regarding bigfoot.   Removing the stigma so grass-roots reporting by non-enthusiasts increased could be valuable ... but how to remove the stigma at this point .. I don't know.

MIB

On 12/30/2017 at 8:42 PM, Trogluddite said:

I can quantify WSA’s question about delays in reporting encounters.  I’ve added 393 BFRO reports to my database.  For those 393 reports 106 (27%) were reported within one month, 51 (13%) were reported more than one month but within one year of the encounter, and 235 (60%) were reported over one year after the encounter. Since I essentially have a random sample of BFRO reports, I would expect the overall numbers to look similar.

Hiflier, good questionnaire.  I’ve noted in several different threads that there is no Uniform Bigfoot Encounter Report as there are Uniform Traffic Accident Reports or Uniform Criminal Investigation Reports.  This is a problem as at least some groups post woefully inadequate factual information in their published reports.  I would imagine that the SSR wrestles with the same problems of having missing or vague information on reports.

They're just not the model to follow.

You know why? Because folks are too used to having someone in charge. This idea doesn't require that. There are UFO groups everywhere, Bigfoot alone has over 100 websites and that doesn't include private researchers or wanna-be researchers because of things like Finding Bigfoot. And it comes down to who is serious enough about the subject and it's history of failure to produce a creature to really want to do something about it. How much has been tried? MUCH and with every conceivable means and device out there. Nothing works. The ONLY way to verify the creature is bring one in. Well, that hasn't worked out too well with the best laid plans, organized efforts, funding, awareness, documentaries, or anything else.

The next best thing is to develop a fast response net in order to track the creature in real time once one is seen. I don't think anyone disagrees with this point of view but has issues with how such a net should be instituted. I know four people here in Maine that might be interested in this. And I'll bet each one of them has four people too who may take to the idea. And those four may know others. Those 'others' are people I don't know but then I don't HAVE to know. I only need to know MY four people. If I get a call I can call them. If they can respond and want to respond with a preconceived plan that we have agreed on then great. If only one besides me can or wants to it's STILL better that just me or none.

Eventually as word get around the network may be able to expand into other regions and states once the basic format is known. These would still be individual private groups who may or may not know each other except through a mutual acquaintance. So each group may have only one person in another close by group that they personally know. And that's all that is needed to pass around info and updates so that eventually word of what one group is pursuing or working on will eventually get around to the rest. Grassroots. If someone wants to be involved they will be if they are not always available. And remember too, in Maine especially there may only be a sighting or a report once every 3-5 years if that.

"Hey, by the way, if you ever see a Sasquatch or has a friend that sees one, I know someone you can call". Each member of a group can say that to their own circle of friends, hunters, LEO's, or whoever so that if a sighting happens in a given area the people in that area will have someone local to contact besides say me who may take too long to get to the witness for the initial interview. Instead I will head for a road somewhere surrounding the site of the incident and start patrolling. If I'm to the East I will get on a road East of the sighting. The word of this kind of investigation will eventually get around, especially after the first incident has been responded to.

As far as a 'central figurehead' it would be the one initiating the group then once it's formed there will BE no figurehead outside of the person in the group who does the initial interview. He or she becomes the person everyone doing the search contacts so that the primary witness can get updated. The figurehead therefore is the person closest to wherever the witness is and so will change with any new encounter location. The new encounter location will also change who will be in the field doing the search. It won't always be the same people but will be the people closest to the incident and be able to do the perimeter searches. The trick will be that everyone will conduct the same type of interview with the same questionnaire and use the same method of searching around the sighting location.

And I really apologize for the length of these posts 

Edited by hiflier

• masterbarber unlocked this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic