SRN- The Sasquatch Research Network

hiflier

BFF Patron
11 hours ago, MagniAesir said:

You do realize that sightings reports are rarely submitted by witnesses in a timely manner.

Normally they are reported at best days later.

I can think of one report that our group has received on the same day it happened 

There is a reason many researchers have stopped chasing sightings, and moved to research areas. Report chasing has not been successful,  and one of the reasons is a lack of speedy reporting.

Doing something for the sake of doing something serves no purpose.

no

I expect that a survey of sighting reports would confirm that it takes a while for most people to submit them.    Some are decades old before submitting.    Before "Finding Bigfoot" most people had no idea how to report things.    While I agree that chasing sighting reports is not likely to create contact with the BF subject of the sighting, in my experience sighting reports red flag the potential active areas to conduct research.   BF exist in groups and seem to have territory.   Several sighting reports led me to the active area that I worked for many years.    One fairly recent BFRO report led me to check out a lake, where BF seemed to be lurking around a campground at night.   A search of the area let me find a footprint on the lake shore about 1/2 mile from the campground.    The report was timely, and my response was too.     That approach is certainly better than throwing darts at a map.  

I have no idea about how to crack the timely report nut.     Would take media exposure for people to know how to get in touch.     Quite frankly even though I am fairly open about what I do,   based in the reaction of a couple of neighbors who I told,  I would not want to be the subject of a local media report.   If you have work or credibility issues with agencies, being the public face of bigfoot might not be a good thing.   We see that with law enforcement officers who are reluctant to tell their peers or supervisors their witness accounts.    I have thought about and rejected creating my own town hall meeting.     Pay for an ad in the local paper at a friendly pub,   ask those who are interested or have had sightings to come.     Drink a few beers and the stories start coming.    While it is similar to the Finding BIgfoot format,   their audiences are stacked with individuals who have submitted sighting reports.    Promises of no cameras and anonymity might get people to come that might not for a BFRO town hall.     I would love to get a few beers in some local loggers and hear what they have to say. 

Admin

The modern way to advertise is to place an ad with Google. Every time somebody searches for Bigfoot or Sasquatch, the ad pops up.

Somebody who has a sighting will probably do a Google search in short order.

It's fairly inexpensive and you can select the geographical areas for the ad.

• Upvote 3

On 7/8/2018 at 9:29 AM, SWWASAS said:

I doubt at this point good pictures are not going to be of any more value than perhaps interesting a few scientists into looking into the possibility of existence.    Costuming, special effects, digital animation,  all have gone to far to give pictures any scientific credibility, so perhaps even that will not interest science. (Other than my that is a real looking costume in that picture).    I am afraid a body or at least a skeleton is needed for proof of anything. 

And yet, new species are discovered and catalogued every year based on nothing more than a photograph. Why should Sasquatch be any different?

Admin

You only pay for clicks.

I run an ad now for my business and it's not much, $100/month or so. You can narrow down when/who to show the ad by a lot of factors. Date / time schedule, geographic area, keywords, etc. You can also set a budget and configure it to spend x per month and no more. Or turn it on/off at will.

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, cmknight said:

And yet, new species are discovered and catalogued every year based on nothing more than a photograph. Why should Sasquatch be any different?

Because of the mythological nature of Sasquatch, lack of no known North American apes,   and the long history of hoaxing associated with it,    science is going to demand more than they would for a new species of monkey in South America.  . .  

Edited by SWWASAS

^^^ That’s it in a nutshell.  BF has an uphill battle for anything other than being a myth until a body hits the slab.  

Here is exhibit A of why we need an organization other than BFRO to investigate reports.  It is almost like they do not want to find anything.  The poster says something like a BF yells every night to the point he wants to sell the cabin.  These yells reportedly confirmed by second person.   So why not spend a few nights there and record what happens?

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=58703

This is also a prime example of the reports coming well after the event.   The report was submitted December of 2017.  The events took place in June of 2017.   They mention something about events in May as well, I’m guessing May of 2018?   

Lets face it, the nature of the current reporting system/systems is/are broken. And maybe that is what something like this might be able to repair. How can anyone expect much when there is nothing in place to take action on an encounter in less than a day, never mind less than two hours. The less time it takes the more available resources that would be necessary. That is going to take time and some effort at making connections to others to see who might be interested in, or even intrigued by, a system that does the Ghostbusters approach to a BF sighting. The best candidates could be proponents that are retired? Even if they are not proponents they may involve themselves if they understood the nature of the program. One never knows......until one tries. Word of mouth would be preferred of course.  

Admin

You could develop a siding database with a smartphone app that immediately notifies the investigators....

• Upvote 2

SSR Team
On 9 July 2018 at 5:57 PM, gigantor said:

The modern way to advertise is to place an ad with Google. Every time somebody searches for Bigfoot or Sasquatch, the ad pops up.

Somebody who has a sighting will probably do a Google search in short order.

It's fairly inexpensive and you can select the geographical areas for the ad.

This is the modern world ladies, and this works.

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Lets face it, the nature of the current reporting system/systems is/are broken. And maybe that is what something like this might be able to repair. How can anyone expect much when there is nothing in place to take action on an encounter in less than a day, never mind less than two hours. The less time it takes the more available resources that would be necessary. That is going to take time and some effort at making connections to others to see who might be interested in, or even intrigued by, a system that does the Ghostbusters approach to a BF sighting. The best candidates could be proponents that are retired? Even if they are not proponents they may involve themselves if they understood the nature of the program. One never knows......until one tries. Word of mouth would be preferred of course.  

So Hiflier, the nature of the current system, i.e. not being very time sensitive, could be the exact reason the SRN does not work. 

Lets discuss how you want to change this....  Google seems a good option, if you can get people to have a sighting and google how to report it.   That's how it works, right?  You enter a search term that corresponds.   If you want a hotline, you need to pay for it.   What pays for the hotline which is required to jump start it?    These are things that need to be hashed out.  IMO of course.   

3 hours ago, gigantor said:

You could develop a siding database with a smartphone app that immediately notifies the investigators....

HA, maybe you could but I don't know diddly about such things. Good idea though, G. Really is. :) 

1 hour ago, BobbyO said:

This is the modern world ladies, and this works.

2 minutes ago, Twist said:

So Hiflier, the nature of the current system, i.e. not being very time sensitive, could be the exact reason the SRN does not work. 

Lets discuss how you want to change this....  Google seems a good option, if you can get people to have a sighting and google how to report it.   That's how it works, right?  You enter a search term that corresponds.   If you want a hotline, you need to pay for it.   What pays for the hotline which is required to jump start it?    These are things that need to be hashed out.  IMO of course.   

It could be Google is the answer. It would be down the road though until something is in place to back it up. So as far as timelines go it would be one of the last things to address. Gotta have the people first and have them trained in interviewing people as well as know who is where and what their availability would be. No sense advertising for something that hasn't been first established to follow anything up. It could take a year ot teo just finding the right people in any locale. It is why I think word of mouth is the best way to populate the network. Friends of friends of friends will cut down on perhaps having to vet candidates.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic