Carnivore

Interesting Sounds from B.C. Canada

26 posts in this topic

I came across this video and thought it might be of interest to others on here. It was recorded on December 16th in British Columbia. I always find these type of recordings interesting due to the fact that people are often unable to agree on what animal is making the sounds. I'm not saying that I think it's a Bigfoot but so far I've seen it claimed as elk, wolf, mountain lion, and fox.

Not one I've heard before. I've had a mountain lion scream in the back yard and the elk make a variety of interesting and eerie calls. It sounds like two individuals, one closer than the other. The guy's dog sounds a bit edgy too. One of the best amateur recordings, whatever it may be, that I've heard. Any idea where in B.C. it is?

Edited by Airdale

I'm not familiar with B.C. but in the video description on YouTube it says it was taken in Witset (Moricetown).

Thanks much! Checked it out on Google Earth and it's pretty remote, a wide spot in the highway nearly 500 air miles north of the border. There is a class "B" BFRO report, # 27281, from August of '08 at Smithers some 18 miles south. The investigator commented that there are many other reports from the area though they don't show up on Google Earth. There is street view coverage from Highway 16 that runs through there from 2012, it is certainly beautiful, wild country.

Edited by Airdale

Thanks for sharing. Seems to be a completely normal sound . Elk buck calling  sound. 

I've listened to various elk calls but haven't heard one that sounds like that. It's possible it could be an elk but do you know of any recordings that match those sounds more closely? Elk seem to have a much higher pitch vocalization. The animal in the video doesn't reach that same pitch. 

This video has some good examples of various elk vocalizations but none of them achieve the same sound as what is heard in that video. 

I disagree. It sounds quite similar. Of course it is not going to be exactly the same. The sound you provided was at a much greater distance obviously. 

Regardless of the distance, it's still clear to me that the one in the video isn't as high as all of the other elk recordings I've heard thus far. The elk recordings I've listened to were taken at various distances, yet they all have the same identifying features. A person can differentiate between a higher and lower pitch sound even if they occur at different distances. Overall loudness and pitch are two separate things. Elk have that very distinct high pitch whistle that overrides the lower tone that they combine it with. I'm still open to the idea of it being an elk, but I just haven't heard an elk recording yet where the elk vocalizes in the same way as this animal.

i respect your opinion. I am convinced it is an Elk,but thank you for sharing regardless. I listened to a few more times .

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin

We live at 4,400 feet in western Montana's Elkhorn Mountains, and they are aptly named. We literally have elk grazing in the back yard at times. I've heard them make sounds that raise goosebumps, but never anything like that. The low tones in this video are closer to a roar and there is none of the eerie whistle typical of wapiti. If those sounds woke me up, I wouldn't be getting back to sleep easily or soon. Here is a photo I took from the bedroom window on January 10, 2015, at a distance of 60 yards, followed by one taken on April 29, 2016. Unfortunately, the fellow grazing down by the creek waited till dusk and I couldn't zoom in as far with the Canon camera I had then and still have a wide enough aperture to allow a shutter speed that would freeze movement. He was about 75 yards away.

IMG_7083.JPG

IMG_8087.JPG

I'm sorry...sounds elkish to me as well.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thanks for sharing. Seems to be a completely normal sound . Elk buck calling  sound. 

Elk males are called bulls and females are cows and young ones are calves like bovine. Not Buck, Doe and Fawn like deer.

And the elk rut in which they bugle is in September and October (Early fall). Not winter. So it’s probably not an Elk. 500 miles north of the US border would make it more likely to be a Moose or a Caribou if we are picking something out of the deer family.

It sounds more canid to me.

http://www.spacesfornature.org/greatspaces/omineca.html

2 hours ago, norseman said:

Elk males are called bulls and females are cows and young ones are calves like bovine. Not Buck, Doe and Fawn like deer.

Correct, of course.

I don't understand how someone can demonstrate such gross ignorance regarding elk and still expect their opinion that it is an elk to be taken seriously.   I guess that's the self-sustaining nature of ignorance.  :(

MIB

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Correct, of course.

I don't understand how someone can demonstrate such gross ignorance regarding elk and still expect their opinion that it is an elk to be taken seriously.   I guess that's the self-sustaining nature of ignorance.  :(

MIB

Kind of like people with low self-esteem always quick to respond negatively towards others. This comes from a person who sees imaginary creatures 

Hope you had a nice weekend. 

7 hours ago, MIB said:

Correct, of course.

MIB

Patterson Gimlin is my favorite skeptic, and he has my respect. My post was not intended to be harsh.