Sasquatching Alone

wiiawiwb

The mines here are pretty deep.   I don't worry about collapse under me.   I do worry about overhead collapse if I go underground.    Of that sort, my biggest worry is around the willow swamp where I found the two very large turds last summer.   There's a whole river underground somewhere ... not just a hole, but probably strainers of roots anyone falling in will find themselves pinned against.   I hope when I go back next summer I can find an angle to get a picture that will make it more sense.

BFF Patron

I have not been out there in the field in that part of the state to know the geology very well.     Very different than here.   The department of the interior just approved some exploratory drilling up NE of Mt St Helens in the Goat Mountain area.   Environmentalists are going ballistic.     A Canadian mining company thinks there is copper and gold there.    I hate to see people in there because there are a lot of BF sightings in that area.    Come to think of it,   that area is probably only 20 or 30 miles from the Miners cabin location.   Not sure how they were doing with their mine before the incident and they never went back.    Those "boy scouts" sure scared those miners off.  

Yeah, I heard those scouts were really going ape, not just monkeying around. 

Lava tubes introduce a new factor for sure.  We don't have them, don't know of any in the Cascades nearby.     One of the retired high school teachers told me of caves somewhere under a rim rock on private land.   I have not found any, the only things I've tracked down have turned out to be mine shafts and are blocked by heavy iron gates.   Caves wouldn't entirely surprise me here, we're in a transition band with sea floor debris accretion on one side and lava on the other.   It's not a clean break, each intrudes into the other with interesting effects at the boundaries.

A few years back another mining company was trying to get permits for that same Goat Mtn area. It all fell through. That area has a history of sightings as well as being where we first found deer bones with the large incisor marks in them. Vested interest sure wouldn't want bigfoot to be proven in that area. Any more than Weyerhaeuser would in the surrounding areas. Being just a few miles south of Randle WA that area has a fairly long history of sasquatch sightings. Especially winter sightings in the lower elevations. 

BFF Patron

BTW have you seen any evidence of copper in the Goat Mountain area?    Copper is normally in green looking rock deposits.    I can recall a green road cut someplace I have been in that area.  Could have been the Gumboot Mountain area.     It was strange enough that I parked my truck and examined the rock for quartz and flecks of gold.     Green rock is not a common color in basaltic flow territory.    

Edited by SWWASAS

I normally go out alone ... day trips for the most part. I did do one overnighter last year at Thanksgiving (Canadian). Stayed in the middle of a clearcut area. When it got dark I scanned the treelines with my NV. This was just after the fire bans were lifted in BC, so my Thanksgiving dinner was "Smokies-on-a-stick" over a campfire. LOL. I never venture very far from the truck, as I have back/balance issues. Once my finances get into a bit better shape, I will be getting myself a new telescope, so I can combine my two hobbies, Bigfooting and Astronomy, together. I like the idea of having Patty take a stroll on past me as I'm checking off galaxies in the Virgo cluster. Little does she know that my finderscope is actually a FLIR Scout TK ...

I haven't been in that area. I wasn't the one who made the finding of the bone evidence in that area. I have seen green rock in the Wright Meadow creek east of the mountain. I'm certain it was probably copper bearing rock. But that's about 15 miles SE of that Goat Mountain. I say it that way because the Goat Mountain I am familiar with is actually on the SW side of Mt St Helens, just north of lake Merrill. Kind of confusing. It seems the oldtimers were short on creativity when it came to naming things. ;)

BFF Patron

You know the Goat Rocks Wilderness area is NE of Mt St Helens.     I wonder if the newspaper got Goat Mountain and Goat Rocks confused.      Goat Mountain is West of St Helens as you mention.     I guess I could have confused the two but have recycled the paper so cannot check that.   Knowing the accuracy of reporting lately I would bet the reporter got the two messed up.    I wonder if the Wright Meadow green rock road cut was what I remembered too.   There is an active sluice gold dredging claim in the East Fork of the Lewis River East of Sunset Falls campground and I cannot figure out where that gold came from.     The geology I have seen just does not explain it.    

Edited by SWWASAS

That's what is confusing. The area and the Goat Mountain they are trying to mine is to the north of the mountain. On the Green River drainage. (And yes there is another Green River north of Mt Rainier. As I said confusing.) Yes there are two Goat Mountains. Separate from Goat Rocks wilderness. 

To paraphrase George Thorogood, when I squatch alone I prefer to be by myself.

Seriously, though, if one is going to do that it is probably a good idea to check out those missing persons maps

offered up by David Paulides in his Missing 411 series.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my hunting, fishing, hiking and camping has been done alone. 

I'm almost always armed...the three biggest threats IMHO after 40 or so years of outdoor adventures are in this order

1) myself (doing something stupid)

2) the drive to and from the site

3) other people 

I've never had any experience I would attribute to Bigfoot but have seen and heard almost everything attributed to Bigfoot.

Most "researching" that I've seen or heard described would seem to be counter to most successful hunting techniques. Which primarily involve sitting down or getting in a stand and being very quiet. 

Some exceptions would be turkey or varmint hunting, which calls are used to attract the quarry, and obviously any hunting that dogs are used.

But to address the OPs question, if you believe the reports, it doesn't matter. 

They're reported to never be alone or at least within bigfoot vocal range of another....so I would not feel comfortable being alone in the wood with that thought in mind.

Edited by clubbedfoot

Being with others does seem to provide a level of protection.  It's not that they won't abscond or kill multiple humans...they easily could.  It's like they are afraid of there being witnesses.

It's almost like they understand the concept of search parties, some possibly military.  I suspect most BF are not killers, but just like humans there's a certain low percentage

of psychopaths.

BFF Patron

Clubbedfoot has a good point.      As I have previously reported when I was doing solo field work I managed to get close to a BF that I heard moving away.     I was looking for a collapsed lava tube opening back in some heavy timber when I heard something start moving away from me.    I decided to press my luck and keep moving towards it to try to get it to break the heavy tree cover so I could see it.    As I slowly moved forward over a lot of down trees and hard going,   I could hear thumps as the BF moved away tree to tree.    Finally I had it cornered where it had no place to go up against a hillside.    It growled and in a couple of seconds another one that had worked around behind me broke off a big limb or tree with a loud crack.   The one behind me really scared me because I had no idea it was there.    I yelled OK I am backing out and started withdrawing as fast as I could go away from the one that growled.  Cornering one was stupid of me in retrospect.    If cornered even the most benign of animals will attack.     They have no choice in that situation.   .   

Been screamed at by a pissed of BF when out alone and never was concerned.  Two things that scare me are a broken ankle and this:

http://time.com/5207214/coyote-attack-brookville-pennsylvania/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=time.com&utm_campaign=ideal-media-internal-recirculation&utm_term=68856&utm_content=2206132

I dont carry for no reason other than lazyness but this is why you should.  I do have my dogs (165 lbs or Husky and Shepherd) but not sure how they would react under these circumstances and if rabid I would not want them to engage anyway.

• Upvote 1