Sasquatching Alone

wiiawiwb

10 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

And what's to check?

Some people do not like it when you interchange the term clip and magazine.

A Garand uses a clip, a M14 uses a magazine.

7 hours ago, BC witness said:

wiia, my ability to hike 40km out from a disabled vehicle to safety just isn't there any more. Some major invasive surgery 2 years ago has significantly reduced my stamina. I can still safely do 10 km, but then peter out for the day. I'm also aware that my bones are much more brittle now, at 73, than they were at 60, so I choose less challenging terrain when off trail. I still do it, but with less gusto than in my youth.

BC, your are an inspiration to us all! Great work!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Thank you. I'm puzzled why one would not know whether they'd inserted a loaded magazine into a carry gun.

Know ... but VERIFY.   (Ideally at least twice.)   This is your safety gear, the thing that stands between living and dying.   Zip line ... double check the safety harness.   Pulling a trailer?   Check the safety chains.   Driving .. check your gas gauge, don't just assume you filled the tank.   Boating?   Make sure your life jackets are on board ... even if you are sure you left them under the deck.  

This isn't rocket science, it's just doing the basic things that take receiving a Darwin award out of the realm of luck.  

MIB

Okay guys, that's the term some refer to in south for the magazine LOL!  Checking is simply bumping- the magazine-making sure it is securely locked in place.  Having a loose CLIP fall out of your gun is not very stylish LOL!

MIB

You forgot! But you have to make sure that you point the gun in the right direction, other wise what's the sense of carrying it out with you in the field. Do not be a Dick Cheney! :D  

I only carry mine in areas I do not know and am unfamiliar with. The areas I know I have no worries and know the in an outs of that area unless it is night time and then my Nav skills are bad in heavy woods. But still I some how find my way out or else I will wait for light so I can see where I am going. I use to do it alone and hated it since my imagination can get the best of me. But now I have to have some one with me since I am diabetic as well as having seizures so being alone in the woods is no good. But having my alone time out there was the best since I was able to learn a lot about nature. Being with my dog is still the best and is better then being with a gun since he will alert me way faster then my own intuition.

I have not or should say have never had a bad encounter yet alone in the woods. I can say there have been some scary moments with these creatures where I thought I might not be seeing my family again. But yet I am still here alive and well. Who knows what could have happen if I ever decided to take a shot at one of these creatures. I might not be having the same conversation. But being alone and testing some of these theories that I had was well worth the risk. For me the theories I had are no longer theories but fact in truth. Now I have other theories of why there are clear cuts in certain areas of research that I am trying to prove and it seems that  others here on this forum are getting close to these theories I have. All I can say is that it is like a giant puzzle that needs to be pieced together that comes with clues. Some thing very big is happening with these creatures and our Gov.

22 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

And what's to check?

I was just trying to illuminate the fact that 45acp does not have a "clip". It has a magazine. No difference to some but nails-on-the-chalkboard to others.

20 hours ago, BC witness said:

wiia, my ability to hike 40km out from a disabled vehicle to safety just isn't there any more. Some major invasive surgery 2 years ago has significantly reduced my stamina. I can still safely do 10 km, but then peter out for the day. I'm also aware that my bones are much more brittle now, at 73, than they were at 60, so I choose less challenging terrain when off trail. I still do it, but with less gusto than in my youth.

Kudos for doing what you do now which is very impressive. We all slow down and the key is to acknowledge that and work with it rather than fight it.  I can't do what I did before either so I start out earlier and go slower or stay an extra night and break it up.

Just continuing to get out there and do it is what's important and you're a shining example. 

Edited by wiiawiwb

Thanks, wiia, for the compliment. I look up to Bob Gimlin, who is almost a decade older than I am, and still wrangling mules and horses. We sat and talked about that over lunch, a couple of years ago, when he had just suffered some cracked ribs from a rambunctious mule in a trailer, and he's still doing it. Now that is the very definition of "cowboy stubborn".

Getting out in the wild back country boosts my soul, and I'll keep going there at every opportunity, until they have to carry me. ;-)

IMG_0498.JPG

• Upvote 3

I am in the field every other week for periods between 2 and 4 days, I often get out on my own but mostly I work with a small research group here in western WA.

Going out alone is not something I recommend as it can be dangerous, alone or with a team I can say that a good survival kit and handgun should be on your list. 

I carry a 357 Mag, a Leatherman, a cellphone, a headlamp, a water filter, pack-able rain gear, pack-able down jacket, 5000 calories of spare food, a first aid kit, 100 Ft para-cord, a fire key, wax coated tinder, emergency blanket, spare socks and a compass.

When I am out on my own I always alert my wife and my team of the general location and around how long I intend on being in the field.  

• Upvote 1

NF, you're spot on. You have to be prepared because out alone you have no backup.  

I always have backups for the critical items you need to travel and survive; compasses, maps, flashlights, bic lighters, ferrocerium rods, magnesium bars, paracord, and on and on and on. I carry a big-bore revolver (454 Casull) in a chest pack and can access it pretty quickly.  Alerting people to you where you are an when you plan on returning is very important. I am a member of a SAR group and it helps to be notified pronto when someone does not arrive at the expected time.

The gorgeous view that BC Witness shows above is not available where I go until you are atop a summit. I am always under the canopy of trees so you have to navigate using a map and terrain association. Triangulating a position is only possible when you reach a peak. Fortunately, there is a lot of water so ponds and streams are everywhere and access to water is abundant. The flip side is getting wet and hypothermic is the main thing one has to be mindful to avoid.

I keep working on my friction-fire technique. For me, it is not a nearly guaranteed like it was with Cody Lundin or Matt Graham on Dual Survival. Gods of fire. I'm hit or miss and it bugs me my successes are not more consistent. Oh well, something to work on this Spring.

Edited by wiiawiwb

6 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

I am in the field every other week for periods between 2 and 4 days, I often get out on my own but mostly I work with a small research group here in western WA.

Going out alone is not something I recommend as it can be dangerous, alone or with a team I can say that a good survival kit and handgun should be on your list. 

I carry a 357 Mag, a Leatherman, a cellphone, a headlamp, a water filter, pack-able rain gear, pack-able down jacket, 5000 calories of spare food, a first aid kit, 100 Ft para-cord, a fire key, wax coated tinder, emergency blanket, spare socks and a compass.

When I am out on my own I always alert my wife and my team of the general location and around how long I intend on being in the field.  

Our little Nathan is all grown up now and married! Congrats buddy! It warms my heart your packing in the woods!

Coming from the Great Lakes region what do think of our PacNW?

" I keep working on my friction-fire technique. For me, it is not a nearly guaranteed like it was with Cody Lundin or Matt Graham on Dual Survival. Gods of fire. I'm hit or miss and it bugs me my successes are not more consistent. Oh well, something to work on this Spring. "

Old bird nests make great fire bundle starters for when you are cold and need to get a fire going. Every time I am out in the woods and I find a old birds nest I will put it in my pack for when I need a fire on a go. Those mag sticks and strikers are great tools to have as well as a lot of trail mix.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, SB, fire sticks take a bit of practice. After running flannel sheets through the wash I collect the clean lint from the trap and have collected a nice amount for tinder which I keep in a small plastic baggie. It goes in the rucksack along some birch bark shavings,  a Katadyn water filter, a small JetBoil, a onesie bivy tent, a small sharp folding saw, some small cowbells with at least 300' of thread, an NV device that records pix and video, a black-LED trail cam that does the same (with sound), a dimmable headlamp with a red illumination feature, a Leatherman on my belt, bear spray on my belt, and some other odds and ends including a small recorder and a thin 9x12 poly sheet. Toss in a good quality mummy bag and some food, coffee, etc. and I'm good for a couple of days in the bush. It's a small set up but that's all I need. A day hike sees a lot less in the ruck of course.  

Good notes throughout about the dangers of going out alone.  98% (or 99.5%??) of the time, it will be nothing more than another hike in the woods.  But accidents happen and illnesses occur and wrong turns get taken.  

I just did a quick check for outdoorsy-type stuff (and decided I should refine my database one more time due to a minor glitch I found): 

8 of 14 encounters w/campers involved more than one witness

44 of 79 encounters w/hikers involved more than one hiker

40 of 75 encounters w/hunters involved more than one hunter.

So going out w/someone to add to the likelihood of a safe return does not appear to decrease the likelihood of an encounter. 

• Upvote 1

Good to know T. Forgfot to mention I also pack a 35mm FILM camera as well as the older FLIP video recorder. Ya just never know......

• Upvote 1

Great gumshoeing Trogluddite. 

There's is no way to know this but I wonder if two people who encounter a sasquatch are more likely to report a sighting because they add credibility to each other's statements. If one person has encounter he or she must rely on their own memory and doesn't have the opportunity in the moment to flesh out issues and discuss details. My suspicion is that two people witnessing anything are more likely to report something than one person witnessing the same thing.

Like I say, it's only my supposition but I'd bet a shilling or two on it.