Handling A Sasquatch Find

hiflier

This topic is a most important point of discussion if anyone is truly serious about making sure a Sasquatch find gets into the right hands. We talk much about field research and methods. About gear and being armed. About safety and awareness of what's around us. Springtime is fast approaching and as I've mentioned so often, I think it to be the absolute best season for having a chance at finding Sasquatch remains before scavengers and Nature do their usual work of making remains disappear. But what if someone finds one? What happens from that moment on? How would one approach the problem? Because, folks, there is no doubt that it would be a problem.

If anyone in the field thinks it is at all possible to stumble upon the remains of a Bigfoot that expired for whatever reason then how far back in the expedition's timeline should one go to keep the find secure? I have given this a great deal of thought and even wrote a book on the issue to lay out just how critical the situation would be. For me to do that means that I consider the entire operation to be most serious. Beyond serious actually. Do any of you agree that the magnitude of such a find creates an equal if not greater magnitude of caution in how things get handled? No doubt you do. But I'm not sure if everyone understands that that equal magnitude of caution has a beginning. 

This thread is to discuss the entire picture and processes that occur, or should occur, when one makes an excursion into any given habitat, and whether or not anyone thinks it possible or impossible, discovers the remains of a Sasquatch- either its carcass or its skeleton. So it's all about precautions one might take, and I think should take, if the goal is to be able to successfully deliver the remains to someplace for scientific study. There are those here that are an old hand at this scenario but there are new members here to and you know what they say about beginners' luck so..........the floor is open. For myself, I'm prepared to address any and all issues one may bring up and so consider this thread as my re-immersion into the Forum after a bit of time off :) DIJAMISS ME?

Thanks Hiflier, welcome back and great question. Of course we missed you.

What is the recommended protocol if you find one dead or kill one? It's best to talk it through now because if you're "in the moment" after just shooting one, you're probably not thinking clearly. Call an attorney? What type of an attorney would even handle a sasquatch-related legal matter or know how to advise you? Call the state forest ranger? There may be some state laws that require a dead or killed "animal" to be reported. If a state ranger comes, they will claim the body and maybe even demand custody of cameras and digital recording equipment. Maybe have Jeff Meldrum on speed dial?

I honestly don't know what I would do but it is certainly a good idea for all of us to come up with a protocol.  If this happened to me right now, without benefit of any forethought, I would first and foremost protect myself from legal jeopardy. Not knowing any laws related to handling a dead body, I would call an attorney right then and there if there was cell service. If not, then I would:

1) Take a ton of pictures and videos,

2) Make hand and foot impressions in the ground if possible and cast them,

3) Take measurements of body length and width, hand size, and foot size,

4) Maybe drag the body out of sight to avoid contamination by others although its weight would probably make that impossible,

5) High-tail it back to the car and call the attorney.

I would not sever off the head, a foot, or hand as I would not want to get myself into a potential legal mess requiring untold sums of money to get myself out of.

Edited by wiiawiwb

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

DIJAMISS ME?

Well, no.  I didn't know you were gone yet.   You haven't stopped posting long enough to count for "gone" or even for a full length coffee break.  

I will absolutely NOT discuss my plans for handling / processing / validating evidence.  I'm not convinced there is a conspiracy to suppress proof, but if there is, announcing my strategy where the conspirators can read it, thus prepare counter-measures, would be pretty foolish.  Not only should you stop, you should stop conning others into spilling their plans ... IF you truly want proving to happen, that is.  

MIB

• Upvote 2

Just now, MIB said:

Well, no.  I didn't know you were gone yet.   You haven't stopped posting long enough to count for "gone" or even for a full length coffee break.  

I will absolutely NOT discuss my plans for handling / processing / validating evidence.  I'm not convinced there is a conspiracy to suppress proof, but if there is, announcing my strategy where the conspirators can read it, thus prepare counter-measures, would be pretty foolish.  Not only should you stop, you should stop conning others into spilling their plans ... IF you truly want proving to happen, that is.  

MIB

Oh, for goodness sakes, this isn't about ANYTHING to do with anyone's plans. I don't care to know anyone's plans as it's none of my business or anyone else's. This is only about timelines and protocols. Not where anyone goes, when they go, or whatever. This thread is ONLY to discuss things about how to address the issue should one find the remains of the creature. It's only a general look at some of the more critical aspects of THAT. I mean where in the OP did I ask a member to tell me what they' doing? No where. Besides most of you have pretty much been straightforward about much of what you do already.

So nope, not about anyone's plans. It's only about some guidelines that in all honesty start long before anyone walks out the door if they've been actually thinking about this in any kind of a serious way. There's a LOT more information now and so I think this thread is very much on point for this time of year. In other words it's a LOT more complicated today than just standing out in some remote habitat and happening upon a pile of bones, or a hair-covered heap that turns out...............to not be a bear. This thread is for going through every aspect of insuring a successful end- in as much as one could even have such a result. It's about protocols- not which trail you use. Big difference there, MIB

And yes, for me it was a break. I'm usually a fairly frequent poster but in the past month and a half or so that hasn't been the case.

@wiiawiwb, Thanks for the welcome. I hadn't been able to think of anything like my usual thought provoking ideas until now so I kinda laid low for a while. You bring up some good points on several things one could think to do in that situation, especially in the area of legalities. Any documentation is also a good plan but there's really much more that someone can and probably should do. Like I said to MIB thinks have change 'out there'. And changed rather drastically. To the point where something like calling a lawyer would be a huge mistake. There are other things too on the list of 'don'ts' but I'll leave it to everyone to bring those up. By the time this thread has progressed some I think most will begin to understand the 'lay of the land' so to speak and maybe make some adjustments in how they do things.    

Before I get too much further into this, and it's quite the rabbit hole both in breadth and depth, I should bring up the matter of intent. Intent being what is one's end goal for even looking for Sasquatch. It's a pretty personal decision as to why one would go out to find one- dead or alive. Personal knowledge for its existence? A wish to prove to others that it exists? A wish to have Sasquatch and it habitat protected? The last point alone underscores the aim of this thread. And in saying that I'll give a hint regarding the dialogue that this thread is looking to work through in a nutshell: A LOT has to happen between the first spark in the thought of going out to find a Bigfoot, dead or alive, and its safe delivery for examination. In that respect here are two quotes from the OP:

6 hours ago, hiflier said:

how far back in the expedition's timeline should one go to keep the find secure?

.....I'm not sure if everyone understands that that equal magnitude of caution has a beginning.

So it's all about precautions one might take, and I think should take, if the goal is to be able to successfully deliver the remains to someplace for scientific study

That should firm up the main point in the OP. And believe me, it goes much further than simply, "Well, I just won't tell anyone why I'm out there".

You missed the point.  I'm not talking about where you do the research.   I'm talking about being very cautious if not downright secretive about your plans for testing the evidence you bring back.   If someone knows where you'll have the DNA testing done, they no longer have to keep an eye on you, they just have to go talk to the lab and remind them of what results to report back to you .. regardless of what the tests really say.   Same for hair morphology, fingerprints/footprints, etc.   Same for talking to the news station who might otherwise do your story.  

They may beat you anyway, so far, assuming there is a "they", they've managed to beat everyone else for 50 years or more.    But go ahead, do whatever suits you.  You can try playing checkers while they're playing chess.   I don't have to tell you to let me know how that turns out, I already know.

MIB

• Upvote 1

I’d keep my mouth shut, step #1.  The rest would be improvised based on how things played out.  Maybe try to document as much as I could with video and once I have done as much as I can as an amateur “scientist” I’d call a local university and ask for assistance.  

Admin

A BF body would be too big to handle on the spot and depending on the circumstance, you might be in a hurry to get out of there...

Cut atleast one chunk of flesh, enough for many independent labs to conduct DNA tests. I would think a pound would do nicely. Then if you have time and the right tools, take a foot and/or hand, then document the scene with pics, etc.

I would not call any authorities nor divulge the location. Simply proceed with the DNA testing and announce the results. Anyone asking questions can watch the documentary once it comes out... :biggrin:. Do not reveal the location to legally protect yourself (they will be unable to determine who has jurisdiction). If they do, then explain how it attacked you and you had no choice but to defend yourself.

If I found remains I wouldn't do anything right away. It's too much to handle and would need time to think about my next move.

Depending on where I find it my first question would be  is it feasible to try and retrieve the remains . If it is then I do.

It might not be for several reasons including was it alone in the area .Am I being watched now? I I take hair and blood samples and

a lot of pictures . I'm not going to be cutting body pieces off it . I can't say why but it just wouldn't feel right to me. If I feel all is well then I wrap it 

in a tarp and bury it . Then at this point I plan my next move.

8 hours ago, MIB said:

You missed the point.  I'm not talking about where you do the research.   I'm talking about being very cautious if not downright secretive about your plans for testing the evidence you bring back.   If someone knows where you'll have the DNA testing done, they no longer have to keep an eye on you, they just have to go talk to the lab and remind them of what results to report back to you .. regardless of what the tests really say.   Same for hair morphology, fingerprints/footprints, etc.   Same for talking to the news station who might otherwise do your story.

With all due respect, MIB, I have not missed the point, you have. The bolded and underlined text is what this is about. When I said how far back in the timeline must one plan it includes the lab contact. If you don't think I have thought all of this through then you haven't been paying attention to anything I've been talking about in other threads concerning the technology available to 'them' for spying on people. You fail to include the Wi-Fi posts that I logged as well as the NEON posts. If you can't put this together then, sure, you're going to tell me all about how stupid I am. This thread is about the fact that in the 'olden days' one had to be careful about a paper trail, today it's the digital trail one must be concerned about. Time to step out of the dark ages and truly give this some serious consideration OK?

@Norseman- LOL, now that's a PLAN buddy- as long as you don't call or email anyone to set it up. I hope that helps to solidify what this tread is going to be covering.

@Twist- Same to you, my friend, NO CALLS. This is what I'm getting at when I said how far back does one plan it's all about being smart about understanding who and how people watch us.

@ gigantor-

6 hours ago, gigantor said:

I would not call any authorities nor divulge the location

Then you'd be way too late to stop exactly what you think you'd be trying to prevent. Folks simply have to think farther back than just not calling authorities, or the media, or a lawyer, or a lab, or anything else. But at the same time one also has to think old school. and for the record here, I don't play checkers, I DO play chess.

@7.62- Whether you do anything right away or not wouldn't matter if you didn't take steps from the very beginning days, weeks, or even months before you even went into the woods. The protocols I truly think one MUST follow have everything to do with what one does BEFORE being out there in the first place. The strictness one institutes in those protocols depends on how one views how people get spied upon and whether one thinks it's real or not. For myself, I take that aspect very seriously and think it's better to be that way than not.

It also depends on whether or not anyone would consider a Sasquatch find to be over-the-top enormous or not as well. There are many who hold to the thinking that such a find would turn over the tables on many things that some people might stop at nothing to keep unturned. Just in the resource industry- never mind in any other thing like science or the economy. So it depends on just how important such a find would be and to whom.   

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

With all due respect, MIB, I have not missed the point, you have.

Have it your way.   I'm outa here.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MIB said:

You missed the point.  I'm not talking about where you do the research.   I'm talking about being very cautious if not downright secretive about your plans for testing the evidence you bring back.   If someone knows where you'll have the DNA testing done, they no longer have to keep an eye on you, they just have to go talk to the lab and remind them of what results to report back to you

MIB, Being cautious and secretive about one's plans for testing anything one brings back isn't good enough anymore. It used to be, but as I said things have changed drastically in just the past 3-4 years. The precautions one must take now is tantamount to being BETTER in the stealth department than a Sasquatch is in it's own habitat. In fact, if it wasn't for something like Sasquatch as a focus then folks would say I'm paranoid. But it IS about Sasquatch and I'm pretty sure we all know what a find would mean and it's impact on many fronts.

So, what is it than I am getting at? I'm getting at anything that would leave a digital trail needs to be avoided like the plague. No phone calls to anyone- at anytime, definitely no emails, and for sure no phone even ON when before stepping out the door. Turn it off and either pull the battery or place it is at least four layers of tinfoil tightly sealed or in a well sealed double or triple mylar envelope. This needs to be done occasionally for weeks to months ahead of a search. Even conversations between a pair of researchers or more must be guarded against electronic eavesdropping to the extent that nothing gets discussed inside a home or any dense neighborhood which we all know would have a more concentrated Wi-Fi field permeating everything.

One cannot be in any habitat with a phone on. Even Wi-Fi though say, OnStar in a vehicle should be disabled. It's a Brave New World now and I remember saying a long time ago that the window of opportunity for research is closing. Well, it's now effectively closed for anyone who thinks that they are somehow immune to an unwelcomed, vigilant audience. The woods are full of cameras that don't belong to hunters, sensors of all types, listening devices and other sensitive gear. And one's own home is worse. Let's just take this Forum as an example. There are people that watch this Forum and they are probably very aware of what I write. And while it's fun to discuss all things Sasquatch other discussions regarding embedding one's self into a given habitat is also discussed. We are all cautious when it comes to specifics but while it may be effective from a member-to member aspect it utterly fails when it comes to true secrecy.

Just imagine for a minute if one of us had the ability to know what someone was saying, whispering, lip-syncing, writing, typing- even without the need to electronically access a keyboard, or otherwise communicating by phone, email. And then track a person by using the Wi-Fi 'radar' field, track them in their vehicle, and even track them in the woods because the were still digitally connected in some way? Well, my friend, and friends, if you think Sasquatch exists and you are you looking for it but haven't taken the steps to become invisible them you will never, NEVER,  get a Sasquatch find, or any part of a Sasquatch find anywhere you think you would like to deliver it. Period. You want to be serious as a researcher? Then get serious about how you immerse yourself into the  habitat you wish to explore.

THAT's what this thread is about. It's about not underestimating how and why one could fail before even turning the key to start down the driveway. Get smart, be smart and think hard about this stuff.  

Admin
15 hours ago, hiflier said:

@ gigantor-

Then you'd be way too late to stop exactly what you think you'd be trying to prevent. Folks simply have to think farther back than just not calling authorities, or the media, or a lawyer, or a lab, or anything else. But at the same time one also has to think old school. and for the record here, I don't play checkers, I DO play chess.

Huh, what?

What does that mean?

• Upvote 1