Sasquatch In Your Backyard. Now What?

Guest tracker

Guest squatchrider

After I got over my initial shock and fear of them being there I would try to document unobtrusively as much as I could. It would be a challenge but I also would try not to tell anyone about them for a LONG time. Actually I never would unless I had some way of proving that they were really there. I do kind of like the theory of making myself look "touched" so that I could give out details I had noticed all the time and just have people think I was crazy. The only problem with that is if I ever did find the evidence that would confirm the exsistence of these creatures it would be hard to get anyone to listen.

I would only make the information public if I had some sort of confirmable DNA evidence such as chunks of hair or a found tooth maybe a fingernail broken off in something plus MANY clear pictures/videos. Thus I don't know that I would ever come forward. I would not come forward with blobsquatches even if I knew the fuzzy black or brown figure was a bigfoot.

The next dilemma is where do I take this information if I have it? I'm really not sure who to trust in this community and I certainly would not take it to any sort of government agency.

As I think about this I have to wonder if there are people out there, who think like I do, who know there are these creatures on their property but have told no one. The responsibility of bringing this sort of information public would be immense. And then even if your evidence were rock solid there is the fear of what people would try to do to these creatures on your property.

Guest squatchrider

After I got over my initial shock and fear of them being there I would try to document unobtrusively as much as I could. It would be a challenge but I also would try not to tell anyone about them for a LONG time. Actually I never would unless I had some way of proving that they were really there. I do kind of like the theory of making myself look "touched" so that I could give out details I had noticed all the time and just have people think I was crazy. The only problem with that is if I ever did find the evidence that would confirm the exsistence of these creatures it would be hard to get anyone to listen.

I would only make the information public if I had some sort of confirmable DNA evidence such as chunks of hair or a found tooth maybe a fingernail broken off in something plus MANY clear pictures/videos. Thus I don't know that I would ever come forward. I would not come forward with blobsquatches even if I knew the fuzzy black or brown figure was a bigfoot.

The next dilemma is where do I take this information if I have it? I'm really not sure who to trust in this community and I certainly would not take it to any sort of government agency.

As I think about this I have to wonder if there are people out there, who think like I do, who know there are these creatures on their property but have told no one. The responsibility of bringing this sort of information public would be immense. And then even if your evidence were rock solid there is the fear of what people would try to do to these creatures on your property.

Guest Yeti1974

I would go outside every chance I could with camera in hand to document.

They would either get used to the camera and let me see them in the open, or they would run off and not come back.

Either way, I would get something out of it (hopefully).

I'm not sure how common the habituation situation would be. I think that there would be a few people would love to be in this situation, but I don't think that it would be all that pleasant.

First up, the responsibilities involved... You'd have to be careful who you tell, if anyone. A researcher can romp around the property making a complete nuisance of themselves, **** one of them off and leave, while leaving the family to deal with the consequences.

If you've got young kids and find out that they're on the property, how do you tell them that they're there? Your instinct to keep them safe would go into overdrive. You want to provide a home for your family and don't want them to be scared in it. You could try and keep an eye on them 24/7. but you know that will never happen and you'll go nuts and get burnt out trying, so you got to try and explain to them that they're there and probably wont harm them, but to be careful anyway (desperately hoping that you're right and they don't want to hurt them).

If they see glowing red eyes, it would be extremely difficult to tell them that they shouldn't be scared because they belong to a (possibly) gentle being (again, hoping that you're right, because you really don't know for sure) In movies, TV and even cartoons the some baddies/evil characters have shining red eyes, it would be hard to convince them that what they're seeing is anything other than evil/bad.

How do you calm one of your children when they wake you in the middle of the night telling you that one was outside their window, holding onto the guttering, while leaning in towards the window peeking into their bedroom? As a parent, the thought of not being able to protect them would give you the worst sinking feeling of not being in control. The sight of your child shaking uncontrollably with terror would be heart wrenching, and all the time you've spent trying to keep them informed as to what's on the property and assuring them that they wont harm them (hopefully) has gone out the window.

So what do you do now? move? They don't want to be in their bedroom anymore and want to sleep with you...

Then there's the researcher in you. When you realise that they're there, you go into overdrive. You think that you'll get one on camera and really soon, but it doesn't happen. You just get a glimpse every now and then, but it's usually so quick, that you question your sanity. You ask yourself "Am I so desperate to see one that my minds playing tricks on me?" You'll get to the point of trying to debunk what you've seen and go nuts doing it. You try to come to a decision as to whether you saw it or not, but deep down inside you know it will never be resolved in your mind, in the end you'll wish that you never saw anything.

Then you get the other A-holes in the street who know about them and follow them onto your property in the middle of the night with a total disregard to your privacy... great, now you've got to deal with them too. But they don't do it every night, what do you do, sit outside every night hoping to catch them?

Now that you're completely burnt out trying to protect your family and research these animals, with time you've spent up until the wee hours of the morning listening to movement and such in the bush and getting up early to view footage or listen to your recorder before you go to work, you've come to the disappointing conclusion that what you've managed to capture is useless. Whether it's audio or photo's, what are you going to do with it? Share it online? OK, well, be prepared to be questioned every way from Sunday and as hard as you try, it's not good enough. By this stage, you've gained a respect for your subject(s). Apart from a few "scary" moments (unfounded) you're 95% convinced that they wont harm you (but again, you really don't know for sure and you can't let your guard down, but have to try and act relaxed for your family's sake) You realise that the only way people will believe you is if you capture one... right, good luck with that. OK, so you'll have to kill one... but hold on, you've grown some respect for it. Also, how will the other ones, if there are any, react to you killing one of their own? Could there be a revenge attack? with family or loved ones around? is it REALLY worth it?

OK, so now you've got family and friends that come over, some experience something, so you feel a responsibility to tell them what you've got on your property and just in case it happens again to other friends, you tell them too. It would hurt to have your closest friends give you that wry smile or roll their eyes, looking at you as though you're nuts when you're being nothing but sincere. So, in the end, nobody wants to visit anymore because they think that you've gone a bit loopy or they're too scared because they know something's there. With the latter, you find out that some people just don't want to know about things they don't understand, it's too far removed from their perceived reality and safety that they'd rather cup their ears and yell "LALALALALALA" Ignorance is bliss...

So, now you feel that need to get the shot or footage to end all debate, but you're the average working man with a mortgage and can't afford the gadgets but are confident that you would get something great... but then again, maybe you wont, remember when you thought that you'd get something good earlier on? Well, is it worth going into more debt just because you "Think" that it's a sure fire bet?... but there are bills to pay and with general living you're pushing it as it is. But you'll become famous and rich right? Hold on, it's not really that hard to find out where you live, expect unexpected visitors. Also, that footage you got will be debated ad nauseum, you might get your 15 mins of fame, but next week it will be forgotten by most of the population apart from a minute few who are interested in the subject.

But if you didn't get anything on film, how on earth do you expect anyone to believe that you have a large hairy animal on your property and you didn't get any footage? You get frustrated because you KNOW that they're there, so you try harder, get more equipment and still don't get anything, then, in a stroke of irony, you've come to realise that you've become one of those A-holes you want to keep off your property.

Congratulations, you've just become the Hairy Mans Paparazzi.

Just my opinion of course, back into my hole I go :ph34r:

Cheers,

Kraig

Guest BuzzardEater

I can't recall any instances of BFs trying to get into a house. I guess there was the Copalis Beach Cowman, but he wasn't seen in the house.

Pre emptive action for me would be a peace offering. I suggest jam. Seriously. Everybody likes jam. Or pie.

The 911 call was from a man who had let his dog make the initial contact. That the dog needed to be clicked off is evidence of how that went. The BF reasonably wanted to know what kind of person has a dog like that. It's not crazy. I have looked up a dog's owner before.

I would urge extreme caution if you attempt to confront, scare off or shoot one of them. Do not imagine this is a lone creature bereft of comrades. Imagine instead that you are seeing an emmisary of a large family. The kind of family that doesn't ever call police. Then ask yourself, where am I safe? If your answer is my car or my house, reconsider. If you think your guns are going to save you remember your training and how close the instructor said an aggressor should be allowed. He was talking about human aggressors. How close do you want a BF? How many shots can you get off before the BF closes the distance? Really, how many shots can you get off at a charging BF? Relying on firepower is silly unless you can go full auto with big slugs. A thompson ought to do it.

As far as documenting, what docs can be trusted in todays environment? A bright kid with a few programs can whip up a digital image. The DNA always is read as human. What really needs to be done is communication. Sooner or later a habituator will recognize a few words from thier old language in the "Samurai chatter". This will be a giant discovery because once the language group is known a linguist can be employed. When discussion is possible understanding will follow and this whole thing will be wrapped up.

Making friends is a good start.

BFF Patron
...I can't recall any instances of BFs trying to get into a house...

The Finding Bigfoot Skunkape episode with the handprint on the inside of the storm door glass suggests that BF had some reason to open a door (might not describe trying to get into the house but may be pretty close.

I believe there have been home visits where door knobs have been rattled by putative BF, maybe hands/arms stretched through screens or windows as well. Can't point you to those example but they are out there. One was a summer camp in South Dakota re: windows.

Agree with the making friends part, and food is paramount as are attempts at communication either verbal or nonverbal when they are either known or suspected to be around.

the $1 million question, if you found yourself in that situation.....to tell or not to tell?

i used to think id cap one & blow the whistle..but now, maybe not. the more i read online & see the infighting among many involved the more i realize that privacy & solitude would be a thing of the past & i wouldn't really want to deal with the "loony tunes", much less a resident BF .

why tell? unless you did manage to kill one & have the body in hand no one would believe you.

you could act crazy as some suggest, but if you ever found yourself later needing a job locally,well, you're screwed then.

yeah, it would be nice to have solid proof & rub a few noses in it....but would that be worth the chance of shooting some idiot hoaxer in a suit?

at this point i might just leave them be if they kept their distance & left me & mine alone, if not ,then i'd try the 1st good shot i had & then probably set the woods on fire to run them off if i really thought they'd come after the family.

i would not feed them....or any other large potentially dangerous creature . fear / caution of humans might be lost quickly if they begin associating you with mealtime, IMO.

just speculation at this point i supposecool.gif

FWIW, we've had a large hand print on our sons window nearly 8' off the ground about 3 years ago, and have also experienced the door knob jiggling ourselves. Also had company up from Florida and while the female friend stayed here while we were in town we received a frantic call that someone was trying to open the door, lol.

Also at a different time, the same window the hand print was found on, my sons dog tried to go through the window at something, granted, have to remember the house sits up on a raised foundation and the dog appeared to be face to face with something.

Nothing consistent, but it happens.

The interesting perspective is are they living in our back yard or are we living in their front yard? They surely have been here longer than we have and deserve respect and not a bullet to the torso or head. The attacking bigfoot really is not a common event and when it does happen it is usually provoked. Let them be and enjoy the relationship. Save what evidence you can gather and tell know one until the encounter has ended. My thoughts. :wacko:

You hold their hands, sing kumbaya, and while in the guise of being their friend, surepticiously gather "evidence" in lay-fashion which has proven to be worthless w/o a dead monkee to match it to (I'm presuming you would gather this evidence this prove existence, rather than additions to your personal poo & hair collections). BTW, what would you do with this "evidence" (the word implies you intend to use it to prive something)? Give it to the world and betray your new buddy, or keep it in a box in the attic?

BobbyO, I would try to set up a close range (say 50 yards or a bit less) center mass shot free of obstruction. This would take maximum advantage of the power the 338 Mag brings, and the proven accuracy my 700 delivers it with. I think it is safe to assume even under the hypothetical situation of this post these would continue to be wary critters, so the head would be constantly moving and though instantly fatal if the shot is placed right, it would likely the most difficult target. I'm not against the CBS and am extremely comfortable with it but not knowing positively how their skull is shaped, I would go with the bigger center mass as I suspect all the good stuff inside the rib cage is placed about like any other primate's...

If it ran after a CM hit (highly unlikely with my experience with the 338) it would leave a short blood trail that a blindfolded person could follow with his nose...

Recovery is another subject. Short answer I would mark the carcass with GPS, take copious notes, measurements, photos, and video (thank you technology gods), gut it, then remove and take with a couple pieces such as a hand & foot, and the heart (or pieces therof, after the hit with that 225 grain IB). If for some reason the carcass could not be immediately recovered beyond this, what was obtained would be unequivoval and the photos & video documenting these parts being obtained would further back up the situation being very real...

Guest wudewasa

Hey thanks Bob, I knew about that one. Also I add it may of killed his dog the day before. He seen his dog come flying over his fence 20 feet and it was already dead when it hit the ground. I might of gone outside to sort it out with a rifle? The staring from the back yard could of been a challenge? maybe it was a rogue ? JMO.

A precursor to a second "Siege at Honobia" would probably ensue. The lesson of "don't mess with mine" is a hard one to learn for some folks on both ends.

Guest bsruther

As far as the topic description:Does this happen more than we realize?

I think if they exist, it happens much more than we realize. A friend of mine once told me about a confirmed mountain lion lurking in the area, many years ago. There have been reports in Ky. in recent years, but no confirmed sightings, that I know of. Even so, I have no reason to believe I couldn't have one in my back yard.

I don't see any reason the same wouldn't be true for BF also, if they could just confirm one of the darn things.

I've had some strange things happen in my back yard that I can't explain and on 4/9, I found what looked like two left footprints. One of them actually looked more like a print than many of the alleged BF prints that I've seen. I don't think they're BF prints though, and have my own rational explanation of what they were. I gave up trying to figure out the other weird happenings and that bugs me.

Do I think I have Bigfoot back there?...No

Is it fun to think about what it would be like, if I did?...Absolutely

My neighbor has a bunch of apple trees on about three acres that separate our house from theirs. There are a few trees just outside the woods that would make good candidates for a trail cam. I've never paid much attention to them, but maybe this year I'll keep an eye on them, what the heck.

Guest wood4004

You hold their hands, sing kumbaya, and while in the guise of being their friend, surepticiously gather "evidence" in lay-fashion which has proven to be worthless w/o a dead monkee to match it to (I'm presuming you would gather this evidence this prove existence, rather than additions to your personal poo & hair collections). BTW, what would you do with this "evidence" (the word implies you intend to use it to prive something)? Give it to the world and betray your new buddy, or keep it in a box in the attic?

BobbyO, I would try to set up a close range (say 50 yards or a bit less) center mass shot free of obstruction. This would take maximum advantage of the power the 338 Mag brings, and the proven accuracy my 700 delivers it with. I think it is safe to assume even under the hypothetical situation of this post these would continue to be wary critters, so the head would be constantly moving and though instantly fatal if the shot is placed right, it would likely the most difficult target. I'm not against the CBS and am extremely comfortable with it but not knowing positively how their skull is shaped, I would go with the bigger center mass as I suspect all the good stuff inside the rib cage is placed about like any other primate's...

If it ran after a CM hit (highly unlikely with my experience with the 338) it would leave a short blood trail that a blindfolded person could follow with his nose...

Recovery is another subject. Short answer I would mark the carcass with GPS, take copious notes, measurements, photos, and video (thank you technology gods), gut it, then remove and take with a couple pieces such as a hand & foot, and the heart (or pieces therof, after the hit with that 225 grain IB). If for some reason the carcass could not be immediately recovered beyond this, what was obtained would be unequivoval and the photos & video documenting these parts being obtained would further back up the situation being very real...

NDT,

I take it you do not agree with my thoughts. You mention such things as killing said Bigfoot. Not sure that is them most proper way to deal with the situation. There are other ways of gaining evidence. If your main purpose of researching BF is to kill one, I would stay out of the woods. I will have to agree to disagree with you. I remember something happening in ape canyon after someone shot one. Just not a good thing to do!

Guest FuriousGeorge

This is just my opinion. How anybody else goes about their business is up to them.

In general, I don't think there should be any subject that should be off the table when it comes to learning about our surroundings. I'm guessing the most likely horrible scenario for any species is that we inadvertently had some sort of negative impact on their environment. Some of these instances once found out about are correctible. Only if we know.

What I would not do is tell everyone a bf is living in my backyard and show nobody.

What I would do is show everyone and probably say very little. If this ever happened to me, I would feel like it is so monumentally important that I alone should not be making this kind of huge decision.