Super-Human Sasquatch

hiflier

Indeed NatFoot, and what's more, full grown male Gorillas standing fully erect are around 6 ft. tall and have a shoulder span about the same as a 6 ft. Human male as well. Each arm is a foot longer though. Trying to imagine a creature a foot or two taller with twice the shoulder span of a full grown man or Gorilla is a lot to absorb. I see Patty's legs in the PGF and see very large musculature and not a ripple of fat. A frightened Black Bear can run uphill at a pretty amazing clip as a quadruped. And there is no way a Human could beat running it up that hill. But that's a quadruped.

There have been discussions in the past about mid-tarsal breaks allowing primates to distribute weight and when considering Mountain Gorillas the flex may allow them to go uphill having more power and purchase than if they ran on their toes like Humans? It would seem to be an evolutionary adaptation well suited for mountainous terrain and better weight distribution in tropical forests where eons of vegetation has piled up on the forest floor.

A creature built like a Sasquatch, especially in some of the temperate mountainous rainforest environments of the PacNW, might have lots of advantages to having a similar foot morphology as the Great Apes.  Certainly a larger, heavier, creature than a Gorilla, that is also bipedal might be able to run up steep hills and quicker than a Human because of it muscle mass. In reading some of these reports, and then having Patty as a model, then even if the witness saw something a bit slower than described the speed may still be pretty impressive.

Thank you, P Beaton, Norseman, dmaker, and others, for letting this thread continue. By now most members know that I usually have a point to make and a purpose for threads so bear with me while the groundwork gets laid down by bringing the collection of report examples on page one to light.   

Edited by hiflier

On 4/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, hiflier said:

And since we are coming out of winter for the most part with snow still around and in higher elevations I thought these would be apropos:

10-foot running strides in snow. If so, the tracks would have been five feet apart. If the "tracks" were 10 feet apart, the stride of the person or Booger would have been 20 feet'
10-foot running strides in snow.  Ditto.
4 to 6-foot strides up mountain deep in hard snow. If so, the tracks would have been two to three feet apart.

50-inch stride more than 2 feet deep in snow. If so, the tracks would have been 25 inches  apart.
6-foot strides in deep snow, knee prints 3-feet apart. Confusing. If "6 foot strides" there should have been a hole in the snow (tracks) every three feet, Not at all sure why "knee prints" were mentioned.
7-foot strides in 2 feet of snow. If seven strides, the tracks would have be three and a half feet apart.

Cleared high objects in deep snow, long strides. I'll buy that one.

Oh, and might as well toss this one in, too :) :

36-inch stride up hill too steep for man to climb. Step tracks would have been 18" apart.

Bottom line; a "stride" consists of two full "steps".

Hiflier: Thanks for the thread; but it is statements like this that drive me nuts - or nuttier. I'll point out what I mean by comments in red and at the end of specific statements.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Reports often describe unusually large stride lengths given their height, but I’ve personally found that their stride frequency, jumping ability, and the lack vertical oscillation of their upper body while moving is even more remarkable. The extent of the latter three traits seems to be well outside the range of what’s achievable solely through evolution when cobbled together, especially in a bulky primate.

According to Meldrum, the midfoot flexibility of primates allows for improved traversal of terrain, but has a negative effect on the sprint speed of bipeds. If true, then it raises the strength requirement for attaining the same speed with all else being the same.

A favourite among ISF skeptics is the Sabine River pig tosser http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=8547. The report was also carefully investigated by the NAWAC http://woodape.org/reports/report/detail/282

hiflier, I think you've left one possibility out of your list. I can't help but think there is some cultural influence. 

I was reading 'The Bigfoot Casebook' by the Boyds.  What I noticed in going through the chronological accounts was how the attributes of the sightings fit with culture.  During the era of conquering the wild west, Sasquatch was prone to kidnapping victims.  During the era of westerns on TV, lots of Sasquatch were shot at, but got away.  During the Vietnam Era, we see the kinder, gentler Sasquatch.  Today, we see the Sasquatch with 'super powers'. 

Whatever Sasquatch may or may not be, it is definitely viewed through a cultural lens.  I also have always wondered in respects to John Greene's data specifically, to what extent his being a "newspaper man" might have caused those giving reports to embellish them to make the reported sighting more sensational (newsworthy). 

That's not to say that the reports have no value, but rather that we need to pare down the reports to the simplest element - for example someone saw Sasquatch climb a hill, cross the road, etc.. What frustrates me is the lack of other detail such as the name of the hill or its location, name of the road at what point, direction of travel.  Or worse yet, when information is deliberately falsified or misleading as is the case with some older BFRO reports.

Roger Patterson once claimed that a BF approached his Volkswagen on a logging road and lifted the front end up off the ground. :596d4f9c8adce_EmojiSmiley-12:

And in true Randi fashion, having proven it CAN be done, the veracity of Roger Patterson's claim is proven true.

30 minutes ago, JustCurious said:

And in true Randi fashion, having proven it CAN be done, the veracity of Roger Patterson's claim is proven true.

I wont go that far.... proving it true means a dead body. In fact Roger being around so many live Bigfeet and not knocking one down? Is suspect for me. Especially being a cowboy. We are a murderous lot. I’ve killed cows, old horses, old dogs, cats, chickens, coyotes, hawks, owls, badgers, ground squirrels, deer, elk, bear, turkey, turkey vultures, grouse, tree squirrels, camp robbers, hogs.....not gonna count fish. A lot.

But Yer trying to prove to the world that Bigfoot exists......but now you decide to draw the line in the sand? I do like Bob Gimlin though. We got to talk abit about breaking mules.

But as far as strength....lifting the front of a Volkswagen is child’s play. A 800 lbs Sasquatch should be able to pick it up and throw it off the logging road!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

Roger Patterson once claimed that a BF approached his Volkswagen on a logging road and lifted the front end up off the ground.

I don't have any issue with that.   Back in 7th grade I lost my temper and flipped a trespasser's Datsun B210 wagon over and left it lying on it's lid with all 4 tires in the air.   The adrenaline burst of focused rage is a wonderful tool if you can channel it.  :)   I figure if i can do that at somewhere under 130 pounds, there's no reason a bigfoot at 800 pounds or more couldn't do exactly what Roger claimed.  

You're back to having to scoff at existence, there's no basis other than ignorance for questioning the feat itself.

MIB

Back in my more aggressive and stronger days of high school at 165 lbs. I bounced and then lifted the from end of my friend's new 1967 veedub. I saw someone else do it and gave it a go. Yep. Did it. Surely someone a bit bigger and a bit stronger could do that with a driver behind the wheel. Used to love the old strong man stunts: holding back twin airplanes with a strap through the elbows, taking a cannon ball to the gut, stopping a car while pinned against a garage door, lifting a platfoem full of beautiful ladies........you know......strong man stunts.

Some of those guys could probably even run up a steep incline faster than a normal Human. keep pace with an automobile, throw a 60 lb. dog 40 feet, who knows. And I agree that the type of feat a Sasquatch is reported doing may be cultural but only looking at the dates such individuals did these things would tell that story.

2 hours ago, JustCurious said:

What frustrates me is the lack of other detail such as the name of the hill or its location, name of the road at what point, direction of travel.  Or worse yet, when information is deliberately falsified or misleading as is the case with some older BFRO reports

Sometimes that information (bolded) is available. I can supply the account's I.D. number and maybe even the creature's description and any follow up evidence found it as I've already offered to do if a specific action would like to be looked at more closely. Not every report has all of the data necessary but some have quite a bit. The second half of your post? Much more difficult or impossible to determine although in some cases the full context and source of the report looks legit.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Current official world records

Sprinting: 27.8 mph by Usain Bolt (2009)

Long Jump: 8.9 meters by Bob Beamon (1968)

Shot Put: 16 pounds thrown 23.12 meters by Randy Barnes (1990)

Squat: 1268 pounds by Jonas Rantenen (2011)

Men's Hammer Throw: 16 pounds by Yuriy Sedykh (2015) 284 ft. 6.75 inches.

Men's discus: 4.4 pounds by Jurgen Shult (1986) 243 ft. 0.5 inches

The shot put listed in O.S.'s post above is about 75 ft. 9 inches

Mind you these are WORLD records. So shot putting a 60 lb. dog won't result in tossing one nearly 40 ft., but hammer throwing one by swinging it first could? Then again this is talking about world-class strength and technique. Not some bumbling, run-of-the-mill, common variety Sasquatch. Somehow though, I don't there is such a thing as a bumbling, run-of-the-mill, common variety Sasquatch. Maybe there is from their viewpoint- but not from mine.