Scat With Hackberries

indiefoot

This is your claim.

PS: Black bears in Kansas - yes, eastern Kansas (this took embarrassingly little Google Fu, btw): http://www.ksr.ku.ed...ursus-amer.html

This is what the offered report actually said.

Presently, the black bear may occur in southeastern Kansas only as individuals dispersing from Missouri and Arkansas

I'll leave it up to the members to decide the facts and the motives.

This is your claim.

This is what the offered report actually said.

I'll leave it up to the members to decide the facts and the motives.

It also said this:

"The original distribution of the black bear in Kansas probably encompassed the eastern half of the state, . . . "

You seem to be claiming that neither northeastern nor southeastern Kansas are in the eastern half of the state, so geometry is apparently a problem for you too. You got caught making an absolutist statement without taking 10 seconds to see if your opinion was correct. Your insistence in accusing me of dishonesty in the face of your obvious error speaks volumes.

The facts don't need to be decided unless anyone has specific information to refute the opinion in the linked release from the University of Kansas. The motive doesn't need to be decided either, because I've already indicated that I've represented my opinions honestly and for the purpose of advancing the discussion.

It also said this:

"The original distribution of the black bear in Kansas probably encompassed the eastern half of the state, . . . "

Why did they say "probably" if it were not for the fact that the bears were gone before records were kept. Before white men were here. This was part of the original Indian Territories and was off limits to settlment until the 1860's.

Again, this is the whole paragraph on range in Kansas.

Range and Habitat: The original distribution of the black bear in Kansas probably encompassed the eastern half of the state, where it occupied forest and woodland habitats. Farther west it was found principally in riparian forests along stream and river courses, and was probably rare or absent from open grasslands. Presently, the black bear may occur in southeastern Kansas only as individuals dispersing from Missouri and Arkansas

This is the current range of the black bear.

post-9-013084400 1308267430_thumb.jpg

Racoons can climb trees, but I doubt dogs, coyotes, or hogs can. Hogs eating these kind berries probably happens as often as pigs fly :lol:

Guest rockinkt

Racoons can climb trees, but I doubt dogs, coyotes, or hogs can. Hogs eating these kind berries probably happens as often as pigs fly :lol:

It has been shown in this thread that the trees can drop their fruit early enough to cover the period in question.

Immature but fruiting trees can be bent over - fed from - then spring back up like they have not been touched.

Branches do break off and fall to the ground.

Trees can also fall over due to natural disease or more likely - effects from weather.

There is no reason to eliminate non-climbing critters from eating these berries.