Camo - who uses it and which pattern?

wiiawiwb

BFF Patron
3 hours ago, FarArcher said:

Conventional warfare, unconventional warfare - when the lights go out - a lot of times it was due to a planned attack to neutralize sensors and communications to ensure success of a follow-on by ground forces.

Lasers require lots of power, and their mobility at this point is very limited.  

Technology when it works - it's good.  When technology doesn't work as well as advertised - or it's been circumvented - well, it's next to useless.  For every tactic (technology) there's a counter-tactic (counter-technology).  For every counter-tactic (counter-technology), there's a counter-counter-tactic (counter-counter-counter-technolo

I don't know if you've noticed or not - but only two people for example - have ever conquered Afghanistan.  Alexander and Genghis.  It was a very simple approach - they depopulated vast regions at a time.  The US has some of the greatest technology on earth, and can't bring them to their knees.  Only feet and eyes on the ground can do that - and in some areas - at times - did.

So you turned the lights out.  What next?  The General, and his staff are still operational.  

Nerds and their keyboards are nice when there's no frictions as Clausewitz put it, but nerds and keyboards never penetrated and executed or grabbed anyone.  Ever.  Men on the ground had to do that.  Men with hands and feet - on site - 

When we took on Iraq in the ground war - we found a lot of our "high tech weapons systems" in fact - didn't work for crap.  Even the vaunted Apache helicopter - they massed them in an attack, and got shot to pieces - just by well positioned men and simple weapons.  No more massing of Apaches after that.

Technology is good for detecting, and sometimes enabling stand-off weapons to be used - but even then - it's rapid oxidation that gets the job done.  Either rapid oxidation in a cartridge case, or rapid oxidation in a bomb case.  Guided, or not.

The higher tech bombing in Viet Nam with all the high tech acoustical, ammonia, sound, and movement sensors - didn't get it done.  One truck moving back and forth could indicate an entire convoy - and a few million dollars on a bombing mission was totally wasted.

But when men on the ground, provided accurate numbers, direction, location, speed, types of targets, and accompanying vehicles - well, - then they were effective - and all it took was men and a radio.

I

I have to agree with you on Vietnam.     It was a bad war fought for the wrong reasons,  and our political leadership where micromanagers.   There were points in time in which components of the military were very close to mutiny because the leadership was wasting their lives.  The body count on the nightly news was somehow supposed to indicate success when more of them were killed than us.  Of course we were inflating our estimates of their casualties.        It has been said that we could have done better preventing infiltration of supplies into South Vietnam and instead of explosives, we filled the valleys from North Vietnam with the Ho Chi Min trail  with greased bowling balls instead of using explosives to till the jungle soil.    The tonnage of bowling balls required would have been roughly what was dropped in bombs.      Afghanistan people and terrain beat the Russians, and we were stupid enough to take up their fight.   Oh we could use similar tactics to Alexander and Genghis and turn the desert sands into glass devoid of people but we don't have the stomach for doing it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Faracher

Sorry for a long response.  I was about twenty yards from one that stood right in front of me that pretended to be like a tree. I flashed it with my light and swear that it looked just like chewbecca  on star wars .  The last one I was close to I could not even see but could hear it breathing while I was 20' up on a tree stand after I asked it to chase me down some deer with my mind.( That to me is crazy in it self) But I swear it was right below my stand and I could not see it at all. All I had at the time was my bow and it was on the same trail I had to walk back to my truck in the dark. ( Talk about a pucker factor of ten it was way up there)Luckly I had my friend waiting for me by my truck but still I was not sure if I would make it back alive. I could sense it following me back.

So you can see how I have a hard time trying to understand how they can be a cave man unless they are a human hybrid of some type. What I saw was some type of half man/ animal that shook the crap out of my full grown pit bull that was raised in the city of Detroit. This dog encountered this creature and when we came back from my trip from my first encounter he was not the same for that first week back. He did not eat and slept in a corner curled up shivering. My wife could not understand what had happen to us that weekend. I tried what I could to get a photo with placing game cams covering each other to cover all angles and placed bait to entice them in range and no luck. We might have even have shot at one hiding behind a tree unknowingly  and it destroyed our camp site just munites after we had left. We found this out when a research came to meet us right after we had all left and found the camp site destroyed. Big a** logs stuck in between trees  and large trees place on the two tracks. Also up rooted pine tree 2" dia. But this is all old news for me . I kind a of am having an understanding of what they are. But people are not to much into this part of the belief since they are still stuck on the monkey part of them . But I make no doubt that they are FLESH and BLOOD. That their use for the military is of great use. That is if they can be controlled.

I have hunted this area for about eight years and when I first hunted there I have never seen a chinook fly in this area in all those years I have encountered these creatures in this area.  Never have they ever cleared cut this area where there is so much other areas they can clear cut. This last year of hunting no encounters but more deer and more animal life then the years before. You can just tell that it is different in these woods. So you can see that I am now being more open that some thing is going on and that there is some thing strange happening.  Now for my own sake I am just being speculative.  

I thought that this thread was about camo but it strayed...........

What did your grandfather wear when he went hunting?  His father?  The camo fashions appeared in the latter half of the previous century. I do not wear camo but use fabric and leafy-cut ASAT to hide my trail cameras. I do not try to hide. They know what I look like, sound like, smell like so no surprises. I drink a lot of coffee and leave 'Catmandoo Pale Ale' everywhere.

Camo with green is for hiding from humans. The fabric dyes for green can not duplicate a 'biological green' in nature. This flaw is a major problem at sunrise and sunset with the change in the color temperature of light and animal vision changing from rod vision (B&W) to cone vision (color).

Seems like the 1st Axiom of Sasquatch has been forgotten by most: Sasquatch finds you.....you do not find them. I believe personality has a lot to do with 'being found'. There is no camo to hide a bad personality. Even with a 'personality transplant', some people will never 'be found'.

I plod along, normal clothes (501 Jeans) with 'no surprises'.

BTW, your clothing makes a lot of noise in the ultrasonic region when you move. You can't mask it.  Synthetic fabrics create the most noise. Wool is the quietest. What did grandpa wear?

• Upvote 1

Grandpa didn't ready access to the broad range of materials that we have at our fingertips.  Grandpa had stiff leather boots that weighed 6lbs per pair. He also had rain jackets that were heavy, didn't breath or both.  He would have loved eVent but it was merely a twinkle in his eye. There are a lot of things Grandpa would have done differently had he the choices that we do.

For the most part I do agree that sasquatch does find us in most instances. Having said that, there are also examples of them being surprised by us such as when they walk by a hunter in a tree stand.  I believe ASAT's philosophy that green is not a good color to use for camo and that brown, black and tan is how nature camouflage's her mammals.

Thin merino wool compromises a very small part of my outdoor arsenal. I'll take fleece in almost every instance.

I like filson wool for super cold hunting trips! I swear it saved my life one night at about 10,000 ft. Its quiet and keeps you warm even when wet.

Grandpa wore red mackinaw coats. Red mackinaw was hunter orange before hunter orange. And Deer also have a hard time seeing red.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hunting-fishing/2009/11/22/Deer-see-the-world-differently-than-hunters-have-assumed-for-years/stories/200911220291

Grandpa, in my world, was my great grandfather.    He was born in 1888 or 1889.    He was a 2nd generation immigrant, first in his family to finish college.  He turned around and put his 2 brothers and 1 sister through college.   Grandpa was a business man and life long poacher.  His family had hunted to keep food on the table through the depression and that's just how things were done even after the depression ended.

Grandpa hunted in near business attire.   He generally wore gray/black tweed slacks and a similar sport jacket, a button up shirt, a string tie, and a fedora type hat.   Oddly enough I don't recall his shoes.  

This was pretty different than other sides of the family who were loggers, packers, and so on ... similar education levels, but engineering, not business.   They generally wore outdoor work cloths ... jeans or bibs and suspenders, blue-gray striped shirt, and caulked (said "cork") boots.    The closest to camo any of them got was my father who had a pair of tan or brown denim pants that he'd leave blood stained through hunting season ... he felt that the blood stain broke up the unnatural color and his human silhouette. 

Camo ... I generally don't wear camo for medium game hunting in forest, I go for jeans, my old OD green carhartt blanket-lined jacket, often a flannel shirt under it, and my seriously worn Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes.   We seldom see it get cooler than a faint frost during deer/elk seasons here so heavier / warmer gear isn't needed.   If we get light rain, I use a camo / goretex jacket, if it rains hard I revert to OD green Helly-Hanson neoprene rain gear.   That stuff is pretty well hidden in forest in heavy rain.  I do use camo when I'm in the sage predator calling because any solid color makes you stand out.   Right now I favor Cabela's "outfitter camo".

MIB

• Upvote 1

Most of my camo is Realtree for hunting. It works well in the pine forests up north and the desert. Plus, it is cheap and whatever garment you like usually comes in realtree. 

Typically squatching I wear jeans, a earth toned flannel and brown cowboy hat. My bags are either OD green or a desert pattern tan. 

For more “stealthy squatching” I’ll wear black or a variation of earth tones. I do have a ghillie suit for sitting and glassing or photography (not always squatching related). Basically the ghillie is always in the Jeep. If I want it, I can throw it over me and my bag and head out. 

A cheap ghillie is less than $30 on eBay and you can easily enhance/modify it. 

Edited by Caenus
Removed extraneous info

• gigantor featured this topic
Guest Treadstone

I use Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity. I intend to get a new pair of boots and gloves and use some extra material and glue the leaves to the boots and gloves.

You are all using camo when only hunting during archery season, right?

And not just camo but the talk of OD shirts, goretex raincoats, etc.

Please say yes.

Edited by NatFoot

8 hours ago, NatFoot said:

You are all using camo when only hunting during archery season, right?

And not just camo but the talk of OD shirts, goretex raincoats, etc.

Please say yes.

Why?

To be honest, I rarely wear camo during hunting season...and by hunting season I mean deer/elk seasons here.  Otherwise there are year round varmint/predator seasons.  There is no law in AZ about camo or blaze orange, etc.  I do keep my hunting license and fishing license on me if your concern was being stopped and fined by game & fish as a hunter.  I’ve met most of my game and fish folks.  If you have not met the rangers, wardens, sheriff’s in your area and know them by first name, as former LEO, I highly suggest it.  They will have a much higher likelihood of knowing who and where you are if you ever need help or get in trouble.  (They can also be a great source of info once they warm up to you...unless they are too close to the local logging community)

Plus, everyone else is wearing camo during hunting season so wearing my red flannel or bright blue shirt will make me more interesting/less threatening.  You will definitely not catch me in a ghillie suit walking around during hunting season...hunters like to have breakfast beers and Irish coffee or even “medicinal” marijuana before they jump on their loud UTV’s and tear through the forest.  I don’t need any extra ventilation from a bleary eyed hunter.

Heck...half the people at my church wear camo to church during deer/elk season.  Lol

3 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Everywhere I've ever hunted had blaze orange laws for deer season.

It is probably a good idea.  I’ve only hunted in Arizona and Texas, neither of which have the requirement.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic