Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
norseman

Denisova

7 posts in this topic

Big Teeth!

Thanks for posting this norseman!  It led me off on hours of reading.  Two things I found really interesting were that they were able to extract DNA from a portion of a fingerbone, and the bone itself no less, and the geographic distribution pattern where they've found the DNA in modern humans. 

The big tooth doesn't mean much without that big skull to put it in does it?  But looking at the size compared to modern human, it is about half again as large!  I thought that strange because I thought the indiginous population of Papau New Guinea were/are short statured.  I hope they find a skull someday.

Posted (edited)

The large tooth reminded me of the supposed Meganthropus tooth that the proprietor of the Bigfoot Discovery Museum had. I haven't done any follow up phone calls so have not found out what happened to the piece that was sent to Dr. Sykes. I thought the large tooth also interesting because of the find in California of the 130, 000 year old evidence of hominid tool use on bones. So.......did the Denisovans make it to California??? That large tooth that Mike Rugg at the museum could very well NOT be a Meganthropus tooth but instead belonged to a Denisovan. Where the hell is science on this stuff? Surely I'm not the only one who is trying to piece this stuff together? I mean if that tooth was found in the Sand Hills around Felton and Santa Cruz, CA then it could be that a large hominid tooth isn't the only thing in them thar hills. It had to have fallen out of a very important jaw. Science needs to get their act together on this one.

They need to contact Mike Rugg, Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, and Dr. Brian Sykes, and get to the bottom of these kinds of things. Would all of the scientists on this Forum getting together and submitting an inquiry carry more weight than just myself? If not then I will dig in and get some emails and phone calls going. 

Edited by hiflier

hiflier, the Denisovans aren't a candidate as Sasquatch.  It could just mean a larger archaic human previously unknown.  Denisovans successfully mated with Neanderthals and modern humans. 

The big thing about a 130,000 year old mastodon being butchered is the timeline for early human migrations.  Supposedly, early humans didn't reach North America until 20-30,000 years ago.  It also adds fuel to the Clovis culture debate.  Supposedly, the Clovis culture was the first to enter the Americas (11-12,000 years ago), but there have been several findings that pre-date their arrival upsetting that apple cart. 

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, JustCurious said:

hiflier, the Denisovans aren't a candidate as Sasquatch

With all due respect, JustCurious, you need to know some history here. I wasn't pinning the tooth on Sasquatch but more of what I was saying in my post. If Denisovans got here 130,000 years ago then the tooth from Northern Russia and the one found in the Sand Hills around Felton should show similar if not identical DNA. Dr. Sykes has a piece of that tooth and as far as I know, in the last year and a half, has not honored the request for its return to its owner, Mike Rugg. The return is important because what was left of the tooth, which was in a vial at the Bigfoot Discovery Museum, went missing  couple of weeks before I telephoned Mike Rugg with some questions. It means that Dr. Brian Sykes has the ONLY piece of the tooth that still remains. Mr. Rugg told me that he had requested Dr. Meldrum to ask Dr. Sykes for the tooth sample's return but was refused because Dr. Sykes said Dr. Meldrum wasn't the tooth sample's owner and so was not in a position to ask for its return..

In other words.......the tooth sample is in limbo somewhere in Dr. Sykes possession either in the UK or at a facility in Switzerland. This whole thing has kept the red flags flying as far as I'm concerned. Something just doesn't seem right somehow with the whole affair.

At that time I also contacted the curator of a nearby natural history museum who told me he had not heard of the tooth find. That tooth's morphology did not match any megafauna that was around that area and supposedly a half dozen dentists who fisited the BFDM commented that the tooth looked Human except for its size. It would be nice if someone with more 'pull' than me would take the baton and run with it but, in truth, I do not expect that anyone will. Ah well.........  

Edited by hiflier

Ah, gotcha.  I guess the question is, did the museum sign any type of agreement regarding the property?  It's possible they had to destroy the tooth sample to do the DNA analysis, but then the museum should have been given the ID.  If Dr. Sykes team didn't do any testing on the tooth sample, they should have no reason not to return it.  Perhaps if Mr. Ruggs contacted Dr. Syskes and informed him that he is interested in submitting it to the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology for genetic testing he might get a response?

Don't have an answer to the first question but I like your way of thinking regarding the MPIEA. It would be interesting to see what the Instutute would have to say if they first knew the back story. At least it is something I will mull over for a while before I get to work on that nothing short of excellent suggestion. Thank you VERY MUCH! :) Calling Mr. Rugg first would probably be the best course of action. He just might be up for it. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0