Formations larger than just sticks

Midnight Owl

Guest NessieRider

I've seen similar structures large and small, all natural occurrences or obviously man made. I clearly see depressions that are partially filled with debris in both the photos. The large limb in the tree, just another widow maker waiting to do its thing.

Edited by NessieRider

Just for fun here's a link to what a human can (and did) do with natural 

materials in the forest by himself.

Just tongue-in-cheek, I'd say He should come to the U.S. northwest and give it a try there -- if sasquatch do make tree formations to inform one another, what would they think of his?

http://timewheel.net/artist-spends-year-alone-forest-creating-organic-works-art/

One theory?  These are abstract representations of psilocybin fruiting bodies. If BF is an omnivorous forager... and the evidence would support that...it seems fantastic they would not have discovered ethenogens a long, long time ago. These may be markers, they may be religious/spiritual homage. Intriguing to think about this connection.

Who is the forum member who saw two BF sitting in the road at a distance from each other, in CO I think?  Often think about that and what they might have ingested to bring them to that state. Wonder how intentional that might be, or how integral it might be to their habits.  

BFF Patron

I am a bit skeptical of some of the claims about Tepee structures being the work of BF.   You basically have to prove that the structure could not have been a natural process to conclude it wasn't.    Most pictures I have seen I cannot rule out natural blow down.     If BF does this, it is very localized.   My research area has no evidence of it in spite of signs BF of activity.    The BF there did not seem to be into construction.    The structures I have found, that were obviously constructed,   were close to trails, and because of the size, most likely constructed by humans.     They were lean to like and little use unless a tarp was draped over them.   Additionally BF is fanatical about avoiding to leave footprints.    I cannot see BF doing that, and at the same time leaving large structures advertising their presence.     Trail marking really does not require making changes.    When I am traversing new ground,   I note unusual natural trees, rocks,  etc, so that when I come out I look for these natural markers to be comfortable that I am on the path out.     I well imagine BF is way better at that than I am and probably does not need to modify the environment to find their way.      If it does,  it has to be some sort of warning for humans or even other BF that it is present.   Perhaps the snap off stuff is when they are in an unfamiliar area, and are concerned about finding their way back to some point of origin?    In a familiar area they would have no need to do it, just like I would have no need to consult a map or GPS in an area I am familiar with.   

That report of BF sitting in the road makes me wonder if they were in morning,  or very sick and wanted to be run over.    I cannot imagine many other reasons.   That would be like BF climbing onto the lab table voluntarily.   

2 hours ago, WSA said:

One theory?  These are abstract representations of psilocybin fruiting bodies. If BF is an omnivorous forager... and the evidence would support that...it seems fantastic they would not have discovered ethenogens a long, long time ago. These may be markers, they may be religious/spiritual homage. Intriguing to think about this connection.

Who is the forum member who saw two BF sitting in the road at a distance from each other, in CO I think?  Often think about that and what they might have ingested to bring them to that state. Wonder how intentional that might be, or how integral it might be to their habits.  

Oh, that was just tenaciousD.....

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I would love to project that video on a screen in the woods.    If I hear clapping or chest slapping at the end I would know it worked.  

Edited by SWWASAS

5 hours ago, dmaker said:

Seriously? Bigfoot on shrooms?

What have YOU ingested?

Shrooms would certainly explain some things.

It was Salubrious who says he saw two in the roadway.

Edited by Rockape

Salubrious yes. Those who find that theory extraordinary need to do some reading about primates and intoxicants. There is some school of thought that homo’s cognitive awareness switch was flipped by various substances, chief among them various mushrooms, ergots, peyote... Yes, it would explain a lot of things.

Fortunately for psychology and behavioral/addiction counselors, these substances are once again getting controlled studies...Johns Hopkins included.

Who knows what would come of this and the related discoveries it might uncover?

WSA,

Depends on time of year an location, lots of animals like the salt from roads/cars in winter.

I don't see what troubles dmaker so much regardin' mushrooms, lots of animals eat plants as medicine an to get high.

Pat... 

Here's another primate that uses natures bug spay while enjoyin' the buzz...lemures.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

One characteristic evident in many of these alleged pics of BF structures is the third growth or more, very young forest or a very dense young forest with a lot of tree mortality or disease due to that density.   When you find these structures in more mature or old growth forest I think you may have something.  Then again, more material is available for use in non-thinned forest from a building standpoint.  It would be interesting to document distance from nearest body of water or spring too. 

Kinda of why I asked if the area behind the structure was a wet area. I think it was NathanFooter that mentioned his observations in Michigan had noted activity in the warmer bog areas in winter? And you bring up a good point, bipedalist about water in the vicinity, especially if it is a spring or a running water feature?

Speaking of water I found this stick structure on the north side of a lake of where I had my first visual sighting that was below the south side dam.  This picture was taken during severe drought where the lake had dropped to low levels.  The water was not deep here and not fit for fishing.  There were no other limbs or dead fall close to this area so these items had to be carried there.  The sticks and limbs were interwoven and braced by two rocks.  I can't think of any logical reason for kids to carry this stuff to this particular location.  There were no large rocks along this shore line and they had to be carried also.  Each weighed at least four or five pounds.  I couldn't see one person doing this either in one trip unless they were a octopus LOL!  Just a head scratcher for me.  Why?   

stick pile.JPG

• gigantor featured and unfeatured this topic