Human hybridization in China

norseman

Good find, norse. I hadn't seen that either. Our family tree gets bushier all the time!

A couple years ago discussions of Denisovans also mentioned DNA from another, yet-unidentified ancestor in the mix.  Maybe this is that ancestor.   It will be interesting to see what they find if they are able to extract testable DNA.

MIB

Dang! That's fascinating! Great find! This certainly has ramifications for a number of fields concerning human development and lineages.I

I found it intriguing when the authors made note of the timing, stating this species may have been extant at the same time 'early" Chinese sapiens culture was beginning agriculture, making me wonder if that was the edge that finally gave sapiens the advantages it took to eliminate the other lingering lines. Or maybe we just had sex with them all and ate em for breakfast! 

This has been discussed before.  The find is more commonly known as the "Red Deer Cave" people.  I don't know if they were ever able to extract DNA from the samples, but the early attempts failed.  It's speculated that this might not be a new species, but the mix of Denisovans and modern humans.  That can't be determined without the DNA testing.

10 hours ago, JustCurious said:

This has been discussed before.  The find is more commonly known as the "Red Deer Cave" people.  I don't know if they were ever able to extract DNA from the samples, but the early attempts failed.  It's speculated that this might not be a new species, but the mix of Denisovans and modern humans.  That can't be determined without the DNA testing.

Apparently DNA was found.

THERE was very little to go on – just the tiniest fragment of a finger bone. What’s more, it was clear that whoever it had once belonged to was long dead. This was the coldest of cold cases. Yet, there was also a suspicion that the remains, discovered in a cave high up in the Altai Mountains of southern Siberia, had a story to tell. So Michael Shunkov from the Russian Academy of Science bagged and labelled the shard, and sent it off for analysis.

At his lab in the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, Svante Pääbo was just about to finish the first sequencing of a Neanderthal genome when the package arrived. He was perfectly placed to confirm Shunkov’s suspicion. By comparing ancient DNA from the bone fragment with his sequence, Pääbo would surely show that it belonged to a Neanderthal. But they were all in for a surprise. The Siberian genome was quite unlike the Neanderthal’s. And it didn’t match that of any modern human. It was something completely new. Here was evidence that a previously unimagined species of humans had existed some 50,000 to 30,000 years ago – around the time when our own ancestors were painting their masterpieces in the Chauvet cave in France. “It was really amazing,” says Pääbo.

Six years on, the new species has a moniker – Denisovan,

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229630-500-denisovans-the-lost-humans-who-shared-our-world

Edited by Rockape
  • Upvote 1

No, rockape, the Red Deer people were discovered in Red Deer Cave and Longlin Cave in China.  The Denisovans were discovered in Denisovan Cave in the Altai Mountains in Siberia (Russia).

The fingerbone DNA came from the Denisovans. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JDL said:

Anyone seen anything on the new megalithic sites being found in Siberia and near the Denisovan Cave?

Interesting to say the least as long as they stones are not natural corestones or something called orthogonal joint sets- also a natural formation. Of course if researchers also find bore holes then it puts the find into an intriguing realm that includes Baalek in Lebanon and other sites such as Sacsayhuaman in Peru. I am even wowed by the circles in the landscapes of South Africa. SOOO much to know about what we don't know :) 

As more things are discovered, accepted science theories must evolve with these findings.  The documented site of Gobekli Tepe is a great example.  It shot holes in what science thought about the abilities of the hunter gatherers.