The Squatch advantage

Midnight Owl

42 minutes ago, dmaker said:

No doubt about that. But how many people in that moment even speculate it could be a sasquatch? I think that number would be pretty small.

No doubt, and well stated. In fact your entire post hit home. There are just times when something happens that freezes that hotdog over the fire for a few seconds and me with it. Even small twig breaks at night can bring one up short. But that's the initial reaction working as it should for those whose experience with what animals are in an area have minds that are alert. The comfort level, along with common sense, depends on how well one is equipped to handle any potentially dangerous stuff. I enjoy Nature as much as anyone else- but that enjoyment doesn't mean blind trust. Being safe means being ready.

And ya know? Admitting fear is good and says there is nothing wrong with any of us when fear creeps in. It's good for the new members to hear it as well. Know what's out there where one researches. Read up on different animals including how to avoid them. Read up on dealing with surprise visits from things like Moose, Elk, Bear, and even the smaller animals like fox, raccoon, porcupine, etc. Be Safe. By being informed and aware. 

And now..........back to our regularly scheduled program........ ;) 

• Upvote 2

I totally get that. My mind races at night in the woods if I hear a footfall or a snapped twig, etc. No doubt about that. But how many people in that moment even speculate it could be a sasquatch? I think that number would be pretty small. 

I only started thinking about bigfoot as an adult in the last 5 or 6 years. Prior to that, a noise in the woods at night was always worst case scenario a bear (if I was in, or north of, Algonquin). Now in the same scenarios bigfoot does enter mind, but only in the sense of an opportunity to try to perceive that moment as a believer would. I cannot convince my mind to truly fear something that I know does not exist. 

I fear sharks when I swim in salt water, not man eating mermen. I fear bears when I'm in the woods, not bigfoots. I can almost get the fear of the boogeyman in the dark moment you describe, Norse,  but what I don't understand is how that brief moment of fear driven irrationality can persist way beyond that moment and remain in someone's thoughts in the bright light of the day. I guess that is where we differ greatly.

Dmaker

I think this fear happens to every one cause it is programmed into us. Every time we watch a spooky movie or hear a scary story our minds are thinking of those moments . In the woods we get that fear because we are not sure what it is that is out there in the darkness so we fear what we do not know. If it was day time we might make sure of what it is that is making the noise and stay clear of what it is. It takes times to handle this and understand and make the proper assessments so that you can make proper judgement. At night it just makes it even harder but one does need to understand the environment that they are in. If you are in an area of where you know that bears and mountain lions roam then you have to assume it could be either. If you find tracks of these creatures then you know that this is what it can be.  Hearing a branch break does not always mean that it will be a Bigfoot unless you have sign of it's presence with in that given area. hearing a branch break could be the wind or a deer or any other type of animal.

That like going out with a loaded gun and shooting at every noise you hear. That is not the type of fear that one should have. One should asses to what made the noise rather then go into this fight or flight mode.Like I have said it has happen to me on my stand ,but I never drew back on my bow as I walked back to my truck. The same went when I had my first sighting I never drew on the creature even though it was at least twenty yards from me. Believe me I had plenty of a chance to lock and load and stand my ground but I walked away and went back into town to get the other researcher. Fear can either harm you or can be your best friend it is how you use it at the time.  Fear for myself has always been my best friend. I am still alive because of it. 

• Upvote 1

Just had to go back and plus some folks for this dialogue. One of the healthier ones we've had IMHO. Now.....if Patty would only walk through dmaker's camp some day..........because I think a "look back" as she went by would just about cinch it for him. Then he too would be saying, "Man! hiflier's right. That Patty IS a hottie!"    ;) 

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

Read up on dealing with surprise visits from things like Moose, Elk, Bear, and even the smaller animals like fox, raccoon, porcupine, etc.

No Bears elk or Moose around here but Racoons got in my tent and ate all my hot dogs one night. I caught them in the act. All I had handy was an axe which I chunked at them as they ran away. Must have been half a dozen of them in there ransacking the place. Little SOBs. Never trust your hotdogs to a racoon.

A big Bobcat and either a wolf, coyote or large dog got into a fight right in the middle of my camp one night. Woke me up, sounded like the world coming to an end. By the time I had grabbed my gun and got outside they had brawled down the hill and out of sight but I could hear the fight going on for a long time.

A pack of coyotes ran through one night. Sounded like the gates of hell had been opened with all the snarling, yipping, growling and barking they were doing. I stayed in my tent and let them go. I think they were chasing something.

Point is, you never know what's prowling around out there.

Edited by Rockape

3 hours ago, dmaker said:

I totally get that. My mind races at night in the woods if I hear a footfall or a snapped twig, etc. No doubt about that. But how many people in that moment even speculate it could be a sasquatch? I think that number would be pretty small. 

I only started thinking about bigfoot as an adult in the last 5 or 6 years. Prior to that, a noise in the woods at night was always worst case scenario a bear (if I was in, or north of, Algonquin). Now in the same scenarios bigfoot does enter mind, but only in the sense of an opportunity to try to perceive that moment as a believer would. I cannot convince my mind to truly fear something that I know does not exist. 

I fear sharks when I swim in salt water, not man eating mermen. I fear bears when I'm in the woods, not bigfoots. I can almost get the fear of the boogeyman in the dark moment you describe, Norse,  but what I don't understand is how that brief moment of fear driven irrationality can persist way beyond that moment and remain in someone's thoughts in the bright light of the day. I guess that is where we differ greatly.

I think it depends on the area. Despite Finding Bigfoot spreading around the idea? Some areas have more lore than others. My area its very very old. It could very well be cultural.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/walker.htm

I think our minds differ greatly also because Ive seen a unexplained thing and you have not.

You would give pause I think if you came upon a trackway in the middle of nowhere that was beyond the scale of a human being. Im not saying you would be an instant believer.... but your hair may stand up on your neck. And you may be looking a little harder next time.

Bigfoot living in north America in 2018 is unbelievable.... I get that. But there are many areas here that have changed very little since Walker’s time. And BC? Even less development. 

Proof is needed and no excuses. But Im not scratching it off yet either. Maybe the pitch black visceral response is the right one. And the daytime logical thought process is just a false sense of security......

But I also do not like swimming in Lake Osoyoos either.

I try and be careful every time I go out in the woods.  There's stuff out there that's really not good for you and always keep your head on a swivel and just be aware of your surroundings.  I flunked that test last week as I walked down a trail with three other folks.  I was third in line when the fourth person yelled snake.  I turned around and saw this thing right behind me, I had just stepped over it!!  A copper head snake about a yard long!!  I failed that test miserably but fortunately didn't step on it and it didn't pay me much mind.  If I have already posted this I claim I had a senior moment LOL!    

Copperhead .jpg

↑↑

Very aggressive, but their venom is very mild. Not likely to be fatal to humans. 

^^^^^Aggressive? Not in my experience. I think they have a reputation for being pretty docile. My back yard has dozens, my children saw them frequently and no bites so far. You pretty much have to step on one. Like Midnight Owl, iI have stepped over one and didn’t know it until my companion called it to my attention.  Don’t ever try that with a cottonmouth or a rattler..Timber or E. diamondback. My neighborhood has a high incidence rate for copperhead bites and as a rule they happen after dark when people step on one that is lounging on a walkway or driveway, soaking up residual warmth. I don’t walk outside at night, even just to walk to my truck without boots, or a flashlight if I am in sandals or barefoot. 

Why so many? what are they eating? In Arizona there are companies everywhere that advertise eradicating a scorpion problem. Generally though, it is the crickets that need to be controlled as crickets are a scorpions favorite food. So What are the copperheads after? To have so many the food supply must be pretty stable and adequate. 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Must be small rodents?

I just read birds, frogs, rodents, other snakes and lizards........can't get rid of everything I guess. Nothing cares much for mothballs though? Or, better said, mothball 'soup'.

6 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

↑↑

Very aggressive, but their venom is very mild. Not likely to be fatal to humans. 

Mild is a relative term. Younger ones with concentrated venom can be more nasty than bigger ones. Even if it is not a big dose it can be problematic. Their venom can be like a spider bite and cause necrotic flesh around the bite. I had a cousin who spent quite a bit of time in the hospital from a Copperhead bite. He died from a different ailment several years later, but his doctors said the effect of the venom on his internal organs probably helped lead to the latter disease which killed him. He lingered for months in the hospital before his death.

Copperheads gather in number to feast upon emerging cicadas. Both at the bases of trees and in the trees, too.