Native American Sasquatch dance

norseman

My late Uncle Floyd had a sheet metal fabrication business in Redmond, WA and loved boating on Puget Sound and up through the San Juan's. He kept getting bigger boats, the last being a 35' Chris Craft that he docked in Lake Union. In '61 when I was ten, he took my folks and me on a three day trip ending with an overnight stay at Victoria, B.C. On the cruise back to Seattle he let me con the boat for a bit in open water while he scanned around with his 10 x 50's. He spotted a pod of Orcas about half a mile off to starboard and took over the helm while handing me the binocs. I'd never heard of them at that time and he told me that they were also called blackfish. That's one of those experiences I can still play back in my mind's eye, though it was 57 years ago this month, and I also have that pair of binoculars.

Edited by Airdale
Additional information
  • Upvote 3

This otter knows what to do! Get out of the water!

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

Not to keep off subject, sorry. We recently had in the news a Mother orca carry her dead infant for 17 days, pretty sad an amazin'. 

The mother whale, named J35, was carrying the calf on her forehead, researchers said.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing. My grandfather on my father's side is native American. 

The older relatives believe in the creature as a flesh in blood entity. 

Most of the younger generation seem to be more open to  it being a spiritual being. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:13 AM, norseman said:

This otter knows what to do! Get out of the water!.......

That’s a sad video. I’ve had orcas next to me in a small boat like that. A big bull, too. It was most impressive.

I’d be awfully nervous about letting that otter on my boat with those orcas after it. I’ve heard of 1500 lb Stellar sea lions boarding vessels to escape orcas as well as to steal fish. I can just imagine a hungry 5 ton orca on my 22’ Bayliner Trophy after a stowaway otter.

• Upvote 2

No way in heck I would want to be in the water with those killer whales..... Id rather wrestle a Griz. 

Scary stuff. And yes that mama Otter crying for her baby made me sad. Dont know why... kinda cute I guess.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:56 PM, PBeaton said:

I know a Native Elder, a Chief, who told me of knowing Charlie Mack an his brothers, he told me of a sightin' in a creek where the elders were campin' durin' a huntin' trip.

Pat...

Pat,

Clayton Mack had at least two good sightings as I remember. Did you mean Charlie or Clayton? https://www.amazon.ca/Bella-Coola-Man-Stories-Clayton/dp/1550171046

I gave my copy of Clayton Mack's first book to a relative, by marriage, who is Coast Salish. He was sort of open at one time to the possible

existence of Sasquatch.

MikeZimmer,

Ooops, my bad, I did mean Clayton. I have his Grizzlies an White Guys somewhere, never did pick up his second book, one of these days, really enjoyed Grizzlies an ..

Just looked an found it. Here a little Friday read, pgs 123 & 125... :) 

"I got to Jacobson Bay, about fifteen miles from Bella Coola when I saw something right out on low tide. I saw something on the edge of the water. It was kneeling down, like, and I could see his back ******* up on the beach. It looked like he was lifting up rocks or maybe digging clams. But there was no clams there. I turned the boat right in toward him, I wanted to find out what it was. For a while there I thought it was a grizzly bear, kind of a light colour fur on the back of his neck, like a light brown, almost buckskin colour, fur. I nosed right in toward him to almost seventy-five yards to get a good look.

He stood up on his hind feet, straight up like a man, and I looked at it. He was looking at me. Gee, it don't look like a bear, it has arms like a human being, it has legs like a human being, and it got a head like us. I keep on going in toward him.

He started to walk away from me, walking like a man on two legs. He was about eight feet high. He got to some drift logs, stopped and looked back at me. Looked over his shoulder to see me. Grizzly bear don't do that, I never see a grizzly bear run on its hind legs like that and I never see a grizzly bear look over its shoulder like that. I was right close to the beach now. He stepped up on those drift logs, and walked into the timber. Stepped on them logs like a man does. The area had been logged before, so the alder trees were short, about eight to ten feet high. I could see the tops moving as he was spreading them apart to go through. I watched as he went a little higher up the hill. The wind blew me in toward the beach, so I backed up the boat and keep going to Kwatna Bay."

Pat...

:drinks:

7 hours ago, PBeaton said:

MikeZimmer,

Ooops, my bad, I did mean Clayton. I have his Grizzlies an White Guys somewhere, never did pick up his second book, one of these days, really enjoyed Grizzlies an ..

Just looked an found it. Here a little Friday read, pgs 123 & 125... :) 

...He started to walk away from me, walking like a man on two legs. ...

Pat...

:drinks:

So, the sighting was pretty clear and unambiguous, the chance of someone pulling a hoax at that place is negligible - the very suggestion is ludicrous. We are left with:

1- Clayton Mack was telling a great story or

2 - He saw a Sasquatch.

I find the latter proposition easier to swallow, having read his books and got an assessment of his character from his own words and if I remember correctly, accounts of him by others (reference long gone from my memory). He was a man with some stature in his community as far as I can recall.

Mike

MikeZimmer,

I agree, he was a professional guide, extremely familiar with the wildlife, in particular, bears, the only thing close in size to a sasquatch. So when he estimates it at eight feet tall, I would tend to believe his estimate which is a rather impressive stature.  

pg.127

"The second sasquatch I saw was in Mud Bay, in Dean Channel. Mud Bay is about ten miles down from Brynildsen Bay. It is like a kind of a lagoon there, narrow entrance to go in there but lots of room once your inside. I was looking for bears. I didn't want to go into middle of the bay, so I went to shore and walked along the sand beach. I see a man-head, it look like, behind a tree. It was looking at me. The head was sticking out from behind a tree. I kneeled down and point my gun at him. Gee, he took off fast. He was about two hundred feet away. Not too big, about my size-five foot seven or eight. Had lots of hair all over his face. Almost look like a person but not a person. I didn't want to shoot him. So I walked up to where he was. And where he went in I followed him. I saw a tree, bark had been pulled off. I guess, he was eating at the sap of a hemlock tree. I almost caught him eating that. I saw tracks, but not too good." 

Pat...

• Upvote 1