Long Range Sasquatch Hunting (With A Camera)

Instant gratification and Bigfoot Hunting... what do they call that?

If you scream for better pictures, more detail, better resolution and contrast... you have to have the patience, equipment, knowledge and skill set.blush.gif

Guest TooRisky

Not to burst your bubble, but at any such long range, how would you be absolutely certain it was not some hunter in a ghillie suit?

Not to mention, as to Sasquatch being human.

Hmmm something i have never seen and probably think it is a very bad idea, and a really bad idea come bear season... Best bet is to wear the hunter orange/green and be legal and be safe...

Guest TooRisky

The St. Helens thread got me thinking about long range Squatch hunting. To me the vid below looks hoaxed, but it may be a way for someone with lots of patience to catch a glimpse or a quick vid clip of a Sasquatch.

We've spent a lot of time out riding and hiking along ridges and you can see for a long way. Often when we are out, we'll see a group of Elk, a wolf or other critter a few miles off and we'll get out our binoculars or spotting scopes and check them out.

If one were to sit up on a decent ridge and use a high powered zoom and carefully scanned miles and miles of valleys, you might get lucky. Of course you would need to know when would be the best time of the day to do it and maybe carefully pick your area to help better your chances.

I remember reading a Peter Byrnes book as a kid where they sat up the big open hills with night vision scanning for the big guy, with no luck (probably due to the night vision equipment they were using).

Not being a patient type, I couldn't do it for long. Has anybody played with this idea?

This will be the second season we will be doing this during the annual salmon run... we know they gather on the river, we have a great vantage point and the camera, lens and video with zoom to get a darn good picture and video... The big problem is the weather conditions, tends to be foggy in the morning and at night with misting rain during the entire time... We are looking for a break in the weather during that time and using bino's scan the rivers edges for movement...

Good to see your thinking outside the box, this is the thinking it takes to be successful...

Guest flycatch

Bogger, after reading your post above, I added (With a Camera) to your title. Hopefully that will clear up any misunderstandings.

You're thinking my friend and I'll agree with you that long distance is the best way to find them. But as far as collecting evidence, the initial cam shots you'll get the first time probably won't do the trick.

But, finding them, you're right on the money. IMO. And once you find them, and determine where they live, there's plenty of time to get closer. Chris B.

I agree with your deduction.

Edited by flycatch

This isn't the thread to discuss what is in the MSH vid, it was only posted up as an example that if the guy have a really good long range zoom, we would have a better argument for or against.

The thread to discuss what is in the Mt. Saint Helens vid can be found here: Mt.St. Helens Has Activity Again?

Guest Grazhopprr

You can get telephoto lenses on ebay cheap. I got a 4x zoom lens that fits all my equipment, which are all 37mm. 20x optical zoom x4. Enough to reach the other side of the ridge clearly. Keep on a tripod though, or you'll just shake it up. All the new hd cams, have limited zoom now, to keep the cams small. 10x isn't much to work with, without a high power telephoto. And, a side effect of zooming, is lack of contrast, fogging from atmosphere, etc. Better be a real clear day out.

Thanks for the input Grazhopprr.

Another thought would be to do a long distance bait station.

If people are having luck with baiting the Sas with apples, candy bars, jars of PB or whatever, if you could set up the bait station in a small clearing that could be viewed from a ridge top a mile or two away with one of the super zoom cameras shown above, you could potential set-up a good opportunity for vid (of course only if it was done during the day).

All the caveats apply, there has to be one in the area, they're elusive, they're smart, they are nocturnal etc, etc....

Find a squatchy opening in a remote location in the piney woods and bait it. Obtain a man-lifting helium balloon and paint it to look like a cloud. Tether it at the edge of the clearing, making sure the part of the tether with trees in the background blends in, and the part above the tree tops blends in with the sky. Hover quietly and unseen above the opening without worry that your battery of cameras will be avoided by the elusive beast. Pack enough provisions and you could stay aloft for days, plenty of time to get the money shot.

Hmmm something i have never seen and probably think it is a very bad idea, and a really bad idea come bear season... Best bet is to wear the hunter orange/green and be legal and be safe...

There is no requirement for bear hunters to wear orange in Washington state.

Generally speaking the only people who wear hunter orange are deer and elk hunters during modern fire arms season. Or anyone else who overlaps with that season. That's when the bulk of the people are out in the woods hunting, and the greatest likelihood some one is going to get shot.

The Varmint hunter types definitely wear a lot of camo, including ghillie suits. But it's not really necessary for bears........protecting yourself from their nose is much more of a concern.

Find a squatchy opening in a remote location in the piney woods and bait it. Obtain a man-lifting helium balloon and paint it to look like a cloud. Tether it at the edge of the clearing, making sure the part of the tether with trees in the background blends in, and the part above the tree tops blends in with the sky. Hover quietly and unseen above the opening without worry that your battery of cameras will be avoided by the elusive beast. Pack enough provisions and you could stay aloft for days, plenty of time to get the money shot.

Wow, you sure dream big, but hey if you think you can pull it off, go for it.

Wow, you sure dream big, but hey if you think you can pull it off, go for it.

I was hoping you'd run with the idea. I have a fear of heights.

In the "old BFF" I had a thread about long range observation. The conclusion at that time was, that it might be best to use telescope technology combined with motion sensing software to observe a wide open Plane. Although BF is mostly regarding as a thing of the woods, there are many good reports and finds in quiet open terrain. This approach would end up in the hundreds of thousand of dollars in mostly equipment. The good thing is that, as this system is nearly 100 automated, one Person could do the job. It seems to be more effective in detecting BF, in such area, than with lots of manpower and relatively low tech.

The for this purpose estimated range would be 1,5 km just short of 1 mile. It could either work unidirectional, to observe for example a Power line, or multidirectional as to scan a circular area.

As long as we dont know how to lure BF in, the wide area surveillance seems to be the most effective approach.

just my 2 cents

Edited by Data