The decline of interest in Sasquatch

Lake County Bigfooot

It appears that we have hit a lull in the interest surrounding sasquatch or bigfoot, it is not that hard to figure out the why? Finding Bigfoot may have not been the favorite of those versed in the subject, but it brought necessary attention to the matter. So many shows and investigations were spawned by that effort, and plentgy of people became aware of the creatures existence as the result, or at least hypothesized about the matter. Today we are quickly shuffling all that under the rug and moving on in our rationale sort of manner. We could have a large meteor bearing down on us and do the same thing, it is all a matter of the ho hum every day attitude that man cannot seem to overcome. Until we have the meteor in sight we will most likely ignore its possible collision with our reality. Sasquatch will not be a matter of concern until it is right in the face of people...That is also true of other matters man ignores freely, for instance death.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot
  • Upvote 2

I think that is a good thing.  The last thing we need is more BF enthusiast crashing throw the woods banging rocks and trying out their weak BF yell.  I am sure it is stressful to the BF and only makes life harder for the true researchers.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think less people looking makes it more enjoyable for the die hard, but that is also...well, less people looking. Less of a chance for someone to Forrest Gump into the discovery. 

It could also mean less profiteering, as in less hoaxes and false reports?

Edited by Caenus
  • Upvote 1

I'm finding that more people are becoming interested in Bigfoot. It wasn't just the show Finding Bigfoot that got people curious, Missing 411 was the one that sparked my interest and probably many others as well. Look at all the Bigfoot stuff for sale lately, quite a bit out there. I know a well known documentary producer who is very interested and wants to do a show on Bigfoot. I'm at the point where I don't care either way if people believe in Bigfoot or not. For us who know Bigfoot exist, we will go through life with a higher understanding of our planet with an expanded mind knowing there's more to life than what we were taught. 

• Upvote 2

If there is a lack of interest, I find that the best possible outcome if it happens. Unfortunately whether or not there is any Finding Bigfoot anymore, you also have the "other" and so much bigger FB. That's right, Facebook. It alone has degraded Bigfoot into a public display of  pure nonsense. Some of the most absurd crap I've ever read dealing with Bigfoot is on there. I've been on all the Bigfoot forums over the years and even some Crypto sites. They fail in comparison. And it has also destroyed forums like the BFF.. There is several serious groups on there including mine. There has never been any deviations in our research. It's simply what we do and no one influences our belief in Bigfoot or the money, time, and miles we put in every year doing this. I also find that most of all the nonsense in the general Bigfoot groups on Facebook, I'd say 80% of these people has never even been out of their small suburban backyards but it's always Bigfoot no matter what. It's also an outlet for people to say what ever they want without any type of restrictions unless the group doesn't allow nonsense such as ours. So new people into Bigfoot will join these groups and think all that nonsense is real. And these wackos in these groups, it's not like they were/are actually doing or have ever done anything for real research into Bigfoot. But you're right, I've seen a decline in a lot of groups and even less shows on Tv about Bigfoot other than the same reruns all the time. At least the tv craze has died out some. If you're a field researcher it's best just to keep doing your thing by being in the woods as much as possible. You gotta love this if you're gonna do it right or have a chance.

• Upvote 2

I agree it best for real researcher to be left alone by all those tree knockers and hollers. It is something that takes a great amount of patience and time and if messed up by some yahoo, can amount to a large loss of investment. I have invested a ton of time and some money into researching, but it is hard if human interference becomes an issue. I have so much recorded that seems related, and yet I cannot completely rule out human interference, although at times that would seem impossible. Suffice it to say, I like my woods to be quiet and free of false disturbances, or kids hollering or tree knocking. If we are to accomplish anything through the technology we have today, we need to have freedom from false hits.

• Upvote 1

If say the lack of interest is due to the need for instant gratification.   To John public,  after watching X amount of seasons of FB with no results they are bored with it.  The show quickly became a rinse, was, and repeat.   

Ultimately less ppl in the Woods is a detriment to the search on a pure numbers stand point, that is if you believe in the widespread territory and high(ish) population portrayed by sighting databases such as the BFRO.    

• Upvote 1

The seeming lack of interest is also a perspective of what is on the internet- or should I say what is not on the internet. We know stuff is happening, it is just not being publicly forthcoming. For instance, the results from any testing being done, or waitin to still be done by Dr. Todd Disotell on samples from Derek Randle's Oregon nesting site. Dr. Disotell is supposed to be a speaker sometime over the Labor Day Weekend at a conference being presented in Portland, Maine at Loren Coleman's International Cryptozoology Museum; something I will miss unfortunately because I am on the road when that conference goes on.

The samples were supposedly sent to him last year and testing was waiting for the right equipment in order to perform the relatively new Edna process and, I assume other more conventional DNA testing. The tests were slated for this 2018 year and so far there has been no updates from either Derek Randles or Dr. Disotell. Of course, it is understandable that nothing will be said unless, and until, results if any are positive- or even negative for any indications that the nests exist because of Sasquatch.

Yeah, there's a lot of garbage out there, still a lot of snickering and eye rolling, and the subject, while seemingly more tolerated, still generally carries a stigma in science. Regardless of all of that there are those who do take this subject seriously and will continue t do so as long as there is no definitive answer to the phenomenon of what people have reported seeing and evidence is still being produced.

This is a good topic, LCB, as it has a chance of perhaps zeroing in on what we DO have and what we ARE doing that is pertinent to discovery. I also think the junk that is out there in the general public WILL serve to discourage 99.9% of ever attempting to even look for a footprint or do much else more than 50 feet from a camp or inside a treeline. And on that note, lets not forget the fear factor. And the fact that FB used all of this high-tech gear that few can afford and probably think you need this equipment at high cost to be a 'real' researcher. So they do nothing.   

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

On a macro level I agree with some of the previous comments (Twist's and LCB's) about the public's need for instant gratification.  We see it in our news cycles with the constant desire to feed the information beast.  I am old enough to remember when news cycles were days long.  Now, we are looking at mere hours.  Hell, just take a look at people in the mall with their faces stuck in cell-phones - never before have we as a society been so closely connected yet been so absolutely isolated.  The thing protecting bigfoot from discovery is not its great hiding ability; it's the fact that it lives in places where there is no cell-service (only partially kidding).

I could go on and on but my facebook account just gave a notification!!

H

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2018 at 0:45 AM, TritonTr196 said:

If there is a lack of interest, I find that the best possible outcome if it happens. Unfortunately whether or not there is any Finding Bigfoot anymore, you also have the "other" and so much bigger FB. That's right, Facebook. It alone has degraded Bigfoot into a public display of  pure nonsense. Some of the most absurd crap I've ever read dealing with Bigfoot is on there. I've been on all the Bigfoot forums over the years and even some Crypto sites. They fail in comparison. And it has also destroyed forums like the BFF.. There is several serious groups on there including mine. There has never been any deviations in our research. It's simply what we do and no one influences our belief in Bigfoot or the money, time, and miles we put in every year doing this. I also find that most of all the nonsense in the general Bigfoot groups on Facebook, I'd say 80% of these people has never even been out of their small suburban backyards but it's always Bigfoot no matter what. It's also an outlet for people to say what ever they want without any type of restrictions unless the group doesn't allow nonsense such as ours. So new people into Bigfoot will join these groups and think all that nonsense is real. And these wackos in these groups, it's not like they were/are actually doing or have ever done anything for real research into Bigfoot. But you're right, I've seen a decline in a lot of groups and even less shows on Tv about Bigfoot other than the same reruns all the time. At least the tv craze has died out some. If you're a field researcher it's best just to keep doing your thing by being in the woods as much as possible. You gotta love this if you're gonna do it right or have a chance.

Well said.  No question FB and YouTube in particular has increased the mockery factor. Far too many rubes who are not swift enough to tell the difference with good and bad research.

Though YT certainly has value, you can waste time searching for gems.  

The reality shows have always been a joke with a few notable exceptions. I found Killing Bigfoot to be the best of the bunch. The speed with which they were able to make contact puts the pretenders in Moneymakers' wheel spinning operation to shame. They are all millionaires though as a result of his show coming up completely empty handed so who is laughing.  As for Killing Bigfoot, the real value is unatapped.  What would need to happen next is to firmly identify the links between crypto creatures and BF.  It is right there to be found in that deep south location which is a different strain of BF than the species in the northern regions.  

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to help filter out the nonsense but I liked your post.  I would add a note to moderators here that locking older posts on this forum is counter productive to encouraging serious researchers.  I am guessing someone has the idea of locking threads to prevent trolling.  Though, good research never dies and it should be acknowledged that people do use this forum as a research resource through the search feature (myself included).  It is not always practical to start new threads, especially for new users or people simply wishing to add a worthwhile comment to someone's diligent research buried in a lengthy thread.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Some of us are just satisfied that Sasquatch "exists" and we are content with that knowledge based on personal evidence.  The battle to let others know the details sometimes is fraught with unintended consequences.  Still I hazard to let others know that I know but am a little more careful in my discussions.  Beyond that it is a rather fruitless effort to try to convince anyone with the current status of things.  Note:    Older threads are often locked due to the sheer volume of responses, making second and third threads is thought to help with the search functions and moving about the thread I think.  At first, I was concerned it seemed to slow down the flow of hot threads so your mileage may vary. 

• Upvote 1

It is not just super lenghty threads, all threads appear to become locked after a certain period of time.  It is a very restrictive policy that disinvites engagement rather than encourages it. My guess is mods wish to reduce overhead of blocking trolls so it is a trade off. 

• Upvote 2

^^^^ A year or three ago a long time member went sort of ... bonkers ... necro-posting vacuous addenda to a great many long-silent threads.    In addition to getting banned, he caused the mods / admins to lock inactive threads to avoid more of this.    If you have something relevant to add to a locked thread, pm the admins / mods and they'll re-open the thread for you.   It's not a detriment to engagement or a problem for serious researchers unless they are just too lazy to send a PM and too impatient to wait for our overworked VOLUNTEER staff to take care of it.

MIB

• Upvote 3

Thank you for clarifying MIB.  Necro-posting sounds nightmarish.  Web site maintenance is time consuming, especially a forum. People take sites for granted until it's gone.  

Edited by Arvedis

On 8/24/2018 at 0:25 AM, bipedalist said:

Some of us are just satisfied that Sasquatch "exists" and we are content with that knowledge based on personal evidence.  The battle to let others know the details sometimes is fraught with unintended consequences.  Still I hazard to let others know that I know but am a little more careful in my discussions.  Beyond that it is a rather fruitless effort to try to convince anyone with the current status of things.

Agree. I hope the truth is kept a secret or a myth as long as possible. The more FB and KB fades away into the abyss the more people will forget about it.  That suits me just fine.

It's my mission to either have a sighting or get something on thermal for my own satisfaction but if that never happens, so be it.  I'll continue to put myself in a position where it can happen. After that, it's the winds of fate that will decide one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic