How To Avoid Being Eaten By A Black Bear

Guest TooRisky

Guest TooRisky

With Summer camping/hiking fun coming fast for a lot of people, the good folks over at the Smithsonian have updated the Black Bear how-to not get eaten guide... Enjoy it, Learn it, Live it...

black-bear-american.jpg

Most fatal black bear attacks are carried out by hungry males (photo courtesy of flickr user Arthur Chapman)

Black bears (Ursus americanus) can be found as far south as northern Mexico and well into Canada and Alaska. One study estimated that there were 750,000 to 900,000 black bears distributed across North America, and their numbers have been growing. A recent study in the Journal of Wildlife Management documented 59 fatal black bear attacks, resulting in 63 human deaths, in the United States and Canada from 1900 through 2009. And the scientists learned that many of our assumptions about bear dangers are wrong. The most important finding is that it is lone, hungry males—not mothers with young—who are most often the killers. Some advice from the researchers on avoiding a fatal attack:

1 ) Travel in groups of three or more. Fatal attacks were more common when people traveled singly or in pairs. Larger groups are likely louder, and a bear may find them more intimidating.

2 ) Learn to recognize signs that bears are in the area.

3 ) Keep food and garbage away from bears. Food or garbage was present in 38 percent of the documented fatal black bear attacks, and the scent may have attracted the bears. In addition, the scientists speculate the presence of food may make the bears more aggressive, thus increasing the possibility of an attack.

4 ) Carry bear spray (which has capsaicin, the chemical that makes chili peppers hot) if you’re going to be in bear territory. No one who has been killed by a black bear in the past was carrying bear spray with them. That doesn’t mean that the spray is guaranteed to fight off an attacking bear, but it could help.

5 ) Learn to recognize the behavior of a black bear that is considering you for its next meal. These bears silently stalk their prey, sometimes for hours, before quickly rushing to attack.

6 ) A black bear that is stalking you may be deterred by aggressive actions, such as shouting, spraying it with bear spray or hitting it with rocks, sticks or even fists. Avoid harassing bears that are just going about their business, though; females seldom attack humans except when provoked by people or dogs.

7 ) Be extra careful in August, when hungry bears are filling up with high-energy foods in preparation for winter denning. Fatal attacks most often occur in this month.

8 ) Don’t assume that there’s less danger in Canada and Alaska simply because there are fewer encounters between black bears and humans. A greater proportion of fatal attacks occur in the northern parts of the black bear’s range, perhaps because these bears are less habituated to people or more food-stressed than southern bears.

Fatal attacks are not more likely among any age group or in response to any specific human activity. And this advice does not apply to other species of bears (among brown bears, for example, mama bears with young are responsible for more fatal attacks). But it’s a good reminder for anyone planning to take advantage of North America’s great outdoors this summer to prepare for any predators you might meet along your way.

Edited by TooRisky

SSR Team

I've always had a worry about Bears, don't really know why as i've hardly ever encountered them nor have been really likely to but there's just soemthing about them that can't be trusted to me..

BFF Patron

Good stuff, also making use of bear barrels or cabling food high and dry helps along with removing a cooksite away from your tenting site and packing clothes you cook in away with food and other scented products such as toothpaste, etc.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=15

If you are interested at all in this subject, you may want to check out the research done by Stephen Herrero.

He was one of the first to document the predatory behaviour of large male black bears.

I know here in British Columbia many experienced outdoors people seem to disregard the black bear as a danger, yes usually they will run away but that doesn't mean they all will.

Also please remember this about pepper spray

When it first came out many guides in Northern BC and Alaska sprayed things like the pontoons on their float planes and items left in camp thinking it would keep bears away.

They found the opposite was true, it seemed to attract them.

Do not spray your cached items thinking it will keep the bears away, it won't

Read Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidances, by Stephen Herrero.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bear-attacks-stephen-herrero/1003203053

Deaths from black bear attacks are always the result of predacious behavior. The good news is that it can be recognized. The bad news is you are in desperate trouble if you don't take the offensive and do something about it.

I always carry bear spray and a marine air horn. Ridiculously loud noise unfamiliar to bear and a cloud of spray that will stop a half-ton, charging grizzly.

Edited by wiiawiwb

I have heard that "playing dead" does not work with black bears -- only with brown and grizzly. If I recall the show correctly (sorry that's where I get most of my outdoor knowledge!), when a black bear decides that its going to go after you its doing so out of hunger; therefore, playing dead would be ideal for them. Your best bet is to fight them off with whatever is at hand.

Not sure if that's true. Interesting though...

I am a new member as of very early this morning. Could someone please direct me where to pose the following question (I combed the topics and posted in "new thermal imager" but haven't seen a response and am guessing its buried -- "can thermal imagers 'see' through the side of a nylon tent?"

Thank you,

Maju

Guest TooRisky

The bear spray and air horn can be had at www.cabelas.com and mailed to you....The most dangerous animal you will encounter in the forest is the Human species and bear spray works very well in this encounter... Be prepared and don't be gullible, with that have fun and adventure in our forests... Because the forests belong to each of us...

I have heard that "playing dead" does not work with black bears -- only with brown and grizzly. If I recall the show correctly (sorry that's where I get most of my outdoor knowledge!), when a black bear decides that its going to go after you its doing so out of hunger; therefore, playing dead would be ideal for them. Your best bet is to fight them off with whatever is at hand.

Not sure if that's true. Interesting though...

Thank you,

Maju

There is no one right answer for what to do in a bear attack.

It depends on the circumstances.

If it is a predatory attack then playing dead will only get you eaten. Any attack that happens at night while you are in a tent, or where you are stalked first will be predatory, regardless of the species.

Playing dead is usually reserved for a surprise encounter such as you and a bear rounding a corner and you both are startled. Playing dead when attacked may show the bear you are not a threat and it will leave.

If you spend time in bear country please do yourself a favour and learn proper behaviour.

It figures a government run institution won't suggest carrying firearms especially when they are allowed in National Forests and even National Parks now I believe, and obviously there is the 2nd amendment.

Guest TooRisky

It figures a government run institution won't suggest carrying firearms especially when they are allowed in National Forests and even National Parks now I believe, and obviously there is the 2nd amendment.

I feel the same way you do about firearms and do bring my .44mag into the field with me... I also have Bear spray cause there are some times that gun play is just not the smart thing to do... I really like the air horn idea and will get one for situations where bear spray is a bit much, like a Bear following his nose right to your cast iron pan that is cooking bacon... LOL Gotta give the bumbles a break now and then...

Understanding the evolutionary adaptations that make black bears what they are will help. They are forest adapted and as such will be content to withdraw and hide in the forest, just out of sight, to observe visually or with their other senses, after being chased away, waiting for your becoming inattentive, and will return. If they're in your area at night, in particular, it's a good idea to have someone stay awake regardless of how well you've stashed your food, and postpone your sleep until you're out of their area or someone else can be on guard. Brown bears are thought to be behaviorally adapted for living in open country and as such will approach out of both curiosity and/or dominance, since there is no point in withdrawing when a creature is adapted to living out on the open land where hiding is not really much of an option.

And of course, both kinds of bears are smart and potentially dangerous and are subject to complex conditioning ranging from extreme hunger or parasites to brain lesions, and so any individual bear's behavior can be totally unpredictable even if they follow generalized behavioral norms.

Guest CaptainMorgan

There is no one right answer for what to do in a bear attack.

It depends on the circumstances.

If it is a predatory attack then playing dead will only get you eaten. Any attack that happens at night while you are in a tent, or where you are stalked first will be predatory, regardless of the species.

Playing dead is usually reserved for a surprise encounter such as you and a bear rounding a corner and you both are startled. Playing dead when attacked may show the bear you are not a threat and it will leave.

If you spend time in bear country please do yourself a favour and learn proper behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_attack

And this is why I built the electric fence for the CAN trip. If a bear wants to eat me in the night, he's gonna have to earn it.

Also please remember this about pepper spray

When it first came out many guides in Northern BC and Alaska sprayed things like the pontoons on their float planes and items left in camp thinking it would keep bears away.

They found the opposite was true, it seemed to attract them.

Do not spray your cached items thinking it will keep the bears away, it won't

Just to add something to what you've already said.....

I've heard some people talk about "trying out" a canister of bear spray first, to be prepared for what will happen, and to note how far the spray and cloud will discharge. Worst thing you can do! Never carry any pepper spray that has been previously discharged. If you were in a rare situation where you had to use the canister...and you are still are out in the field...ditch the canister. Leave it (wrapped and sealed in plastic , if possible) to be retrieved another time. Don't bring it with you into your next camp. The pepper smell... does indeed attract bears. It's a one time only use tool.

Guest Sallaranda

Considering I do 95% of my hiking in British Columbia, black bears are the absolute least of my worries. Grizzlies terrify me to death. To be honest, I feel comfortable around black bears. I have come across one several times and never once have I felt threatened or overly scared. They seem rather harmless to me. Not trying to sound naive here, I know they are fully capable of ripping me to shreds, but they are relatively shy animals who are more afraid of us than we are of them.

Grizzlies on the other hand... if you see one you gotta think fast and come up with an escape plan. Very terrifying beasts.