How To Avoid Being Eaten By A Black Bear

Guest TooRisky

Guest Melodramatix

Where I live there are no bears. Ticks are the most dangerous critter in my neighbourhoods.

Ticks will attack you and you won't notice it until it is too late:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_meningoencephalitis

I can't decide if I rather fight a black bear or go through lyme fever again:)

Talking about protection against bears: would the majority of people really have the calm to pull out a gun and aim steady in the case of a stalking black bear?

Guest CaptainMorgan

But did you consider the universal pictographic shock hazard warnings for "The Big Guy"............. :)

At least give him some distance parameters from which to throw the rocks and launch the ladders and logs....... :P

Oh that's right, squatch owns the night and the force-field sensors anyway. :unsure:

Yup, they can see the high voltage EMF field in complete darkness so I'm not really concerned about the big guy, I assume that if we can see a white and red laminated sign, he can to.

How often do you listen to audio recordings of animals rummaging around your camp while you werent there? It's enough to wig you out when you know something walked up and scratched on your tent, took a few breaths and walked across a tarp left on the ground, or you hear some serious stick snaps as something comes in and goes back out.

I never ever leave food or beverage in a camp or tent. The latrine is a ways away and dishes are scrubbed, boiled and dried when I use them.

About aiming down on a stalking black bear, I would prefer a stalking bear to a surprise bear any day! One program I saw, an expert stated that when they stalk\parallel you, you should take the offense and thoroughly convince it to go away, permanently. If you have to, gang up on it and beat it with sticks. They are seriously tenacious. I wish I could find that program again.

Guest wild eyed willy

Although a gun would be preferable, could you use a stun gun/taser?

I like the air horn idea.

I had this idea I was thinking about, what if you wear a batman cape, you could open your arms up and appear as very large. (you'd also look really cool doing it).. Would this work? Just don't wear the tights, unless you are a female for obvious reasons, (the bear might think you are trying to steal some very large acorns or perhaps smuggle a squirrel out of the woods) either would likely **** off a bear.

Lastly one question more question, If pepper spray attracts bears, what good is it in an attack?

Lastly one question more question, If pepper spray attracts bears, what good is it in an attack?

Same way that you may like a little pepper on your steak but not a face full of pepper spray.

It is the amount and concentration of the spray into the eyes and nose that does the damage

Edited by MagniAesir

Although a gun would be preferable, could you use a stun gun/taser?

I like the air horn idea.

A taser is designed for human opponents and not bears, my guess is it would be ineffective.

I had this idea I was thinking about, what if you wear a batman cape, you could open your arms up and appear as very large. (you'd also look really cool doing it).. Would this work? Just don't wear the tights, unless you are a female for obvious reasons, (the bear might think you are trying to steal some very large acorns or perhaps smuggle a squirrel out of the woods) either would likely **** off a bear.

This might work, growing taller works good too, if there is a stump around.

People don't read directions so they think it's mosquito repellent and use it as such. It's not designed like that, it's designed to be used like mace and fired into the face.

And it's not fool proof, some bears immediately run away and others keep coming.

One could always carry a few ghost peppers, split it open an toss it to the bear, one nibble or lick...! Reckon it be off goin' nuts for a spell, just head the other way.

As for lookin' larger, if ya have a jacket or button down shirt on, pull the bottom back up behind your head with your arms straight out, should make ya look a little bigger.

Pat...

About aiming down on a stalking black bear, I would prefer a stalking bear to a surprise bear any day! One program I saw, an expert stated that when they stalk\parallel you, you should take the offense and thoroughly convince it to go away, permanently. If you have to, gang up on it and beat it with sticks. They are seriously tenacious. I wish I could find that program again.

I was stalked by a bear once. Fortunately, it decided we (there were 4 of us) looked more like work than lunch and went away. We never saw or heard it and it was standing a few feet behind us in plain view had we turned around. My point is that it was hunting us. If one hunts you, it isn't likely you'll see it before it wants you to. They sneak up on deer and elk. If they can pull that off, don't count on you seeing them coming.

17x7

Guest wild eyed willy

One could always carry a few ghost peppers, split it open an toss it to the bear, one nibble or lick...! Reckon it be off goin' nuts for a spell, just head the other way.

As for lookin' larger, if ya have a jacket or button down shirt on, pull the bottom back up behind your head with your arms straight out, should make ya look a little bigger.

Pat...

What is a ghost pepper?

Guest wild eyed willy

I was stalked by a bear once. Fortunately, it decided we (there were 4 of us) looked more like work than lunch and went away. We never saw or heard it and it was standing a few feet behind us in plain view had we turned around. My point is that it was hunting us. If one hunts you, it isn't likely you'll see it before it wants you to. They sneak up on deer and elk. If they can pull that off, don't count on you seeing them coming.

17x7

If you didn't see the bear how did you know it was there and hunting you, can you give more details of this encounter?

What is a ghost pepper?

Google is your friend:

The Bhut Jolokia as it is commonly known—also known variously by other names (see etymology section below) in its native region, sometimes Naga Jolokia—is a chili pepper formerly recognized by Guinness World Records as the hottest pepper in the world. The pepper is typically called the ghost chili or ghost pepper by U.S. media.

I can't decide if I rather fight a black bear or go through lyme fever again:)

Talking about protection against bears: would the majority of people really have the calm to pull out a gun and aim steady in the case of a stalking black bear?

I'm right there with you about the ticks. I've never had lyme fever but I hate anything blood sucking.

As for having the presence of mind to shoot a bear if it was stalking, you bet I would!!! I might shoot my foot off in the process but the bear would get a few bullets too :lol:

Guest wildwoman

I was a bit confused about black bears and brown bears but after reading posts neither is something I want to mess with. Of course I had to look up the difference ursus americanus and ursus arctos. When hiking I've been taking pepper spray but may also take an airhorn. At least I can send out morse code if injured. ;)

Guest wild eyed willy

Google is your friend:

The Bhut Jolokia as it is commonly known—also known variously by other names (see etymology section below) in its native region, sometimes Naga Jolokia—is a chili pepper formerly recognized by Guinness World Records as the hottest pepper in the world. The pepper is typically called the ghost chili or ghost pepper by U.S. media.

I spent much too much time on google, sometimes it is faster and easier to just ask someone.LOL Thank you for the answer.