Tracking Bigfoot?

Guest Burro-Tracks

Guest Burro-Tracks

I've noticed there are two types of bigfoot hunters (A.) Right out of the city...loaded with high tech equipment... no tracking skills. (B.)Wore out fake 'safari-hunters' who can't seem to follow a track in North America like they claim to have in Africa. I live in a very harsh enviroment... almost solid rock. We track humans, wild cattle, deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar, even bear.We track for miles at a time and we find what we are looking for, yet I know of nobody that has actually followed a bigfoot track far enough to find a bigfoot!!Even older tracks will turn into fresh ones if followed far enough.Next time forget the plaster castings... follow the tracks!!!

Edited by Burro-Tracks

BFF Patron

You don't know Leigh Culver and his group (and those who trained under him), do you? http://www.enigmaresearchgroup.com/ (this is not the same as this, which is a pretty interesting looking but a little more paranormal group ) Just a heads-up. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Guest TooRisky

I've noticed there are two types of bigfoot hunters (A.) Right out of the city...loaded with high tech equipment... no tracking skills. (B.)Wore out fake 'safari-hunters' who can't seem to follow a track in North America like they claim to have in Africa. I live in a very harsh enviroment... almost solid rock. We track humans, wild cattle, deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar, even bear.We track for miles at a time and we find what we are looking for, yet I know of nobody that has actually followed a bigfoot track far enough to find a bigfoot!!Even older tracks will turn into fresh ones if followed far enough.Next time forget the plaster castings... follow the tracks!!!

Hmmm wonder where I fall in... I dont live in a city, have claim to high tech gear or have a safari hat... But I live in a house on the very edge of the power grid and have to go to town to get my mail... very harsh, I don't think so... So I see you have got it all figured out, your going to spend your time finding tracks and follow them right to Ol' Biggie huh... OK good luck with that and we will I guess hear from you when ya bring Ol' biggie back on a short leash... Very good then, see ya when you return...

I don't live in Texas.........I live in the southern Selkirks.

Selkirks01.gif

http://www.vws.org/project/parks/SelkirkMountainCaribouParkProposal.html

Some of the region holds tracks very well, while most of it doesn't. In fact in many parts of the region if you were to bushwhack through it? You would have a hard time maintaining contact with the ground at all with all of the windfalls, brush and such. You cannot even see the ground in many areas.....so it's definitely not easy tracking.

It's much easier to follow a blood trail. -_-

Guest Burro-Tracks

The question remains why can't bigfoot hunters track and why can't bigfoot be tracked...usuming they are real animals? By the way I grew up in Oregon... I could track there also!!

Guest BuzzardEater

I think a lot of tracks are discovered by people who have no intention of finding a BF. I would like to see a track, but would not follow a trail of them. I don't want to catch up to a BF. What if he is busy or having a bad day? We must look like hairless chihuahuas to them, all yappy and annoying. Consider who you are annoying.

If I was a specimen hunter, I'd be wary of tracks. Real trails aren't obvious. Am I tracking, or being led?

I do not believe, personally, that a tracker, on foot, can carry enough water and food and weaponry with him to follow a fleeing BF. They have giant strides and do not need gear.

I think the pioneers, when faced with this problem, used a mounted party.

The question remains why can't bigfoot hunters track and why can't bigfoot be tracked...usuming they are real animals?

In my case, I've only cut one set of tracks in my life, and it was in deep snow.....we gave up and it kept going.

By the way I grew up in Oregon... I could track there also!!

Oregon is a big place, with a diverse topography. But if you were tracking on the western slopes of the Cascades? Then you understand that Fir duff one foot deep doesn't hold a track very well. And it isn't easy staying on a track through touching saplings and vine maple and blow down.

In fact even most hunters in the PacNW want snow to track in, because it makes the job much easier. Most people are not going to be able to stay on a track way that doesn't hold a track for very long. Some shine here.......a scuff mark there, a broken branch........it's not much to go on.

And your tracking down cougar on foot? I'd like to see that. That's why god invented hounds.

I think a lot of tracks are discovered by people who have no intention of finding a BF. I would like to see a track, but would not follow a trail of them. I don't want to catch up to a BF. What if he is busy or having a bad day? We must look like hairless chihuahuas to them, all yappy and annoying. Consider who you are annoying.

If I was a specimen hunter, I'd be wary of tracks. Real trails aren't obvious. Am I tracking, or being led?

I do not believe, personally, that a tracker, on foot, can carry enough water and food and weaponry with him to follow a fleeing BF. They have giant strides and do not need gear.

I think the pioneers, when faced with this problem, used a mounted party.

Unless you are in country that does not yield itself to showing tracks & trails very well, most trails are reasonable obvious, unless it's a one time deal (the animal has never used it before this time). Even then, the animal will leave sign of some sort, depending on the terrain, etc.

Weaponry - all you need is one firearm and some bullets. I personally carry a pistol as well, though. That's just my personal preference.

Guest Burro-Tracks

We use a bunch of mules here, it's real rough country. We do have dogs... but we also have run cougars without the dogs and caught them. Just depends on how things go when you jump one, some times it isn't handy to go back and get the dogs.

I grew up hunting and catching cattle in the Mts. around Ruch,and Copper, Ore... Hilt, and Bieber, Calif,so I'm familar with steep rough country... hey this is fun nice meeting ya'll!

Guest tracker

I wonder how many people have missed out on sightings to baby sit a casting as it drying?

P& G follow Patty for a few miles into the bush until they lost her tracks. Only then did they return and start casting and recording. So take it from them and collect the souvenirs later and stay on the tracks. Or at the least pore you slurry and then continue searching as it dries.

JMO tracker wink.gif

Guest TooRisky

We use a bunch of mules here, it's real rough country. We do have dogs... but we also have run cougars without the dogs and caught them. Just depends on how things go when you jump one, some times it isn't handy to go back and get the dogs.

I grew up hunting and catching cattle in the Mts. around Ruch,and Copper, Ore... Hilt, and Bieber, Calif,so I'm familar with steep rough country... hey this is fun nice meeting ya'll!

Hmmm I see your point... dont make casts but keep your nose to the ground going as fast as you can go... Dragging your mules behind you... Got it and taking notes.... Thanks master tracker from Texas...

I very much agree with what your getting at. When you consider how much anecdotal evidence of bigfoot comes in the form of foot impression evidence, I think it's quite shocking how many self proclaimed field researchers don't seem to have rudimentary tracking skills. 25 years ago it was difficult to find anyone who was teaching a course in tracking that anyone off the street could sign up for. With the popularity of prepping and primitive skills, just about everyone can now find a school that can teach you the basic principles of track awareness for a few hundred bucks.

I've never understood why anyone who feels compelled to spend 100's if not 1,000's of hours of their own time to look for evidence of bigfoot's passing won't also spend a few hundred hours of said time developing some rudimentary skills so they can at least establish continuity and follow the target animal. I also find the explanations that "the substrate at the sighting location was too hard to take a track" a bit too unsatisfying as a legit reason for explaining away why there is no substantive evidence of bigfoot at the proverbial "scene of the crime". Every vertebrate mammal leaves sign of its passing. Even if the ground is too hard to leave distinct impressions. If we had more footers that could actually track, I think we'd not hear about alot of the "the witness(es) were really credible and were not lying" reports because it would be definitively determined that in a lot of those cases there simply was no bigfoot involved. And in some cases if bigfoot is indeed real, we'd hear accounts that go beyond the typical "witness seemed credible" that would include some photos of foot impressions that are distinct, that were discovered by said investigators after continuity was established and followed for some distance. Instead if there's any foot impression evidence at all, we usually get to see "blobfoot" type images and usually only one or two, where red circles and arrows are usually needed to illustrate just where the "ghost print" is in the frame and what is supposedly the front of the "ghost print". Again, not very satisfying or remotely convincing stuff IMO. Usually if there's anything in frame for scale it's usually someone's cell phone or someone's foot. Great if you happen to be the owner of the cellphone or the foot. Not so great if you have no clue as to how big those scale objects are. Small pocket tape measures cost about 2 dollars. I don't think there's any good reason for not having one. I think it would also help if the field researchers knew enough about tracking to realize what factor aging plays. I've never seen a photo of an alleged bigfoot track that ever had an unshodded human footprint, handprint or so much as a thumbprint next to it to give anyone looking at said photo a baseline for the type of deformation soft tissue would cut in the said substrate at the time the photo was taken.

Bigfoot is supposed to be incredibly massive, supposedly has a much more flexible foot than humans leading to more pronounced incremental loading, and is supposedly in excess of 7' tall with a pelvic girdle that would have to be substantially wider than a human. If it's real, it has to be leaving a lot of sign both on the ground and well above it that could be followed. At least until it traversed very impressionable substrate. We never hear many stories where bigfoot is followed for any distance and distinct foot impressions are found and photographed. I can think of one account where that happened and we got to see some of the impressions.

Bigfoot is supposed to be incredibly massive, supposedly has a much more flexible foot than humans leading to more pronounced incremental loading, and is supposedly in excess of 7' tall with a pelvic girdle that would have to be substantially wider than a human. If it's real, it has to be leaving a lot of sign both on the ground and well above it that could be followed. At least until it traversed very impressionable substrate. We never hear many stories where bigfoot is followed for any distance and distinct foot impressions are found and photographed. I can think of one account where that happened and we got to see some of the impressions.

But what if it is trying to hide its tracks? backtracking , taking creeks routes, covering a lot of distance on rocks? that kind of thing.....what if it didnt want to be found? just putting a for instance out here.....

and also someone willi wrote in another post is one of the best trackers and has classes......

http://www.jhardin-inc.com/web/

Driftnmark,

Attempting to hide sign is all but impossible. It's a Hollywood myth. Anything that enters a body of water has to exit somewhere. Anything that climbs on a rock outcropping has to leave it somewhere. The US Border Patrol on the Mexican Border tracks folks all the time who know they are likely being pursued who do not wish to get caught. Those folks also have the luxury that bigfoot does not possess and that is a finite amount of time and distance the pursuit is going follow.

I understand your hypothetical, but I don't see that as an issue.

Willi,

I understand where you are coming from, I am not a tracker, I can tell raccoon tracks from deer up here in NY but thats usually a defined track in mud........

edited because the word checker wouldnt let me use a slang for raccoon :lol:

Edited by driftinmark