Tracking Bigfoot?

Guest Burro-Tracks

We use a bunch of mules here, it's real rough country.

I use mules as well, and I cannot just leave the trail where ever I wish to follow a track. You live in "Horse country" I do not, I live in Moose country. I cannot just point my mules nose and go, I have to either stay on established trails or blaze my own.

We do have dogs... but we also have run cougars without the dogs and caught them. Just depends on how things go when you jump one, some times it isn't handy to go back and get the dogs.

Why don't you just trail the dogs with you? I'm on the Big game houndsman forum and those guys from the SW US "cast" their dogs while on horseback. Until this spring when I gave my dogs away because they killed the cougar-hound pilot program, we would hunt cougar by "roading" the dogs in a pickup.

I grew up hunting and catching cattle in the Mts. around Ruch,and Copper, Ore... Hilt, and Bieber, Calif,so I'm familar with steep rough country... hey this is fun nice meeting ya'll!

I'm from Stevens county up in Washington against the Canadian border.

Guest Burro-Tracks

I use mules as well, and I cannot just leave the trail where ever I wish to follow a track. You live in "Horse country" I do not, I live in Moose country. I cannot just point my mules nose and go, I have to either stay on established trails or blaze my own.

Why don't you just trail the dogs with you? I'm on the Big game houndsman forum and those guys from the SW US "cast" their dogs while on horseback. Until this spring when I gave my dogs away because they killed the cougar-hound pilot program, we would hunt cougar by "roading" the dogs in a pickup.

When we are hunting wild cattle or checking water-holes we don't normaly have the hounds with us. But dogs or no dogs we will give chase when the opurtunity arises...

Guest Burro-Tracks

This is what I'm getting at... why is bigfoot the only mammal in North America that can't be tracked? They can't be any better at trying to hide their trail than the old time Apaches... even they could be tracked down by experienced trackers.We have 'special ops' types now days that can track lizards across rocks, bigfoot should be no problem for a couple of these fellers. The next bigfoot expedition should sign a couple of these guys up next time fresh tracks can be found.

Guest Burro-Tracks

This is what I'm getting at... why is bigfoot the only mammal in North America that can't be tracked? They can't be any better at trying to hide their trail than the old time Apaches... even they could be tracked down by experienced trackers.We have 'special ops' types now days that can track lizards across rocks, bigfoot should be no problem for a couple of these fellers. The next bigfoot expedition should sign a couple of these guys up next time fresh tracks can be found.

I'm not trying to cause any problems here, but I think a some good basic back country woodsmanship would render a lot better results. We have more than enough plaster cast of foot prints, blurry photos, and plenty strange infared film footage. Some day we need to actualy come up with remains or a live creature... tracking one down is the first step in doing this. Mammals are creatures of habit, having defined territories (big or small), bigfoot is no different... this means he can be tracked down if he is real!

Guest TooRisky

I am pretty sure a good analogy would be found at the 1/4 mile race track... Ya have a stock Pinto and a stock Corvette on the line, light goes green, and the pinto will be looking at the tail end of the Corvette all day as it pulls out of sight... Happens every time, never fails, and until some get this through their heads in that you don't find BF, BF finds you... You don't see a BF unless your luck is maxed out and the BF makes a mistake... Then you will forever run after that Corvette in your Pinto...

I am pretty sure a good analogy would be found at the 1/4 mile race track... Ya have a stock Pinto and a stock Corvette on the line, light goes green, and the pinto will be looking at the tail end of the Corvette all day as it pulls out of sight... Happens every time, never fails, and until some get this through their heads in that you don't find BF, BF finds you... You don't see a BF unless your luck is maxed out and the BF makes a mistake... Then you will forever run after that Corvette in your Pinto...

Sticking with your analogy that pinto is going to pass that corvette when it's on the side of the road out of gas.....

A silver back gorilla needs to eat 40 lbs of vegetation per day........that is a lot of groceries. And putting away 40 lbs of groceries takes time.

So while the Squatch can pull ahead early in the chase, the little hairless ape with his ruck sack full of high protien goodies and by dogged determination is going to catch and pass any Squatch. Probably while the Squatch is lounging in a berry patch eating for all he is worth.

It's just that most modern humans are not really savvy to tracking nor are they determined to track anything down let alone a Squatch. Could it be done? Maybe. It would depend on terrain and other factors.

Guest TooRisky

Sticking with your analogy that pinto is going to pass that corvette when it's on the side of the road out of gas.....

A silver back gorilla needs to eat 40 lbs of vegetation per day........that is a lot of groceries. And putting away 40 lbs of groceries takes time.

So while the Squatch can pull ahead early in the chase, the little hairless ape with his ruck sack full of high protien goodies and by dogged determination is going to catch and pass any Squatch. Probably while the Squatch is lounging in a berry patch eating for all he is worth.

It's just that most modern humans are not really savvy to tracking nor are they determined to track anything down let alone a Squatch. Could it be done? Maybe. It would depend on terrain and other factors.

Agreed Silver-backs like the Gigato's are lazy slow moving creatures having to eat and digest all the time... They were on 4 feet most of the time and really did not have to fear any thing because of there size... Both live in an area which because it gives everything they need, they have really never left the region of their birth... My question is this, when and why do you think we are talking about an Ape... The Sasquatch species has nothing in common with any ape species, and if ya gotta make a comparison it is more human than anything... So with this reconfigure your thinking and see how this fits into the human side of things.... Remember Giganto is nothing more than a unproven theory that makes absolutely no sense with what we know...

My question is this, when and why do you think we are talking about an Ape... The Sasquatch species has nothing in common with any ape species, and if ya gotta make a comparison it is more human than anything...

Humans are apes.

Hominidae.PNG

Another member with barely a half dozen posts under their belt, telling us all ... how to do it, and what we are doing wrong. Why am I not surprised ?

Just follow the tracks, and don't cast it. ****, why didn't I think of this ? Wait... it's because their ain't no tracks . Do you think ..just maybe, that some very experienced trackers and hunters have tried to track it already....just maybe?

Get a couple of special opps camoed lizard trackers on our next expedition. Right, I'll be sure to mention that to the boys, next time out.

Me, I'm just some city fyed guy, with some high tech equipment ( but still want more...Better...and even more expensive). I've been on a couple safaris in the tropics and wore a seattle sombrero... does that qualify me for your stereotype "B" , as well as "A" ?

I am a little wore out...but mainly from reading this forum and posts like yours.

All these big talkers that are going to go out and hunt the squatch, and track the squatch. Master hunters and master trackers...lol...my ass.

I say....less talkie on the internet, and more doie in the field. Track it down , and Bring it in.. if you can, and are as good as you say you are, on this forum.

The reports that I read say that it not only moves with ease, but also considerable speed, through terrain we can barely pass at all. It's legs are longer and stronger so it takes one step where we need two. It seems to have better endurance. Oh, and it knows where it's going so it doesn't have to keep looking for tracks. In short, it looks to me like an exercise in futility in all but a few exceptional cases. It just plain outruns you. On horseback or on foot. The longer you follow, the farther behind you are.

17x7

Guest TooRisky

Humans are apes.

Hominidae.PNG

So sayth the faithful to Darwin.... Darwin is also wrong BTW.... IMHO...

Guest BFSleuth

I've noticed there are two types of bigfoot hunters (A.) Right out of the city...loaded with high tech equipment... no tracking skills. (B.)Wore out fake 'safari-hunters' who can't seem to follow a track in North America like they claim to have in Africa. I live in a very harsh enviroment... almost solid rock. We track humans, wild cattle, deer, coyotes, bobcats, cougar, even bear.We track for miles at a time and we find what we are looking for, yet I know of nobody that has actually followed a bigfoot track far enough to find a bigfoot!!Even older tracks will turn into fresh ones if followed far enough.Next time forget the plaster castings... follow the tracks!!!

I can see how the tone of your OP could rile up the denizens here, but overall I think you make a valid point. IMHO it does seem that rather than going out to find BF most researchers have found they can "call him in", but it limits the ability to observe because you are announcing your position and they can take evasive action.

Researchers that post videos where they don't call blast and go out in the woods generally make me cringe with how much NOISE they are making! Might as well be wearing a lazer and disco balls with the volume turned up ... (again IMHO)...

I agree that having some serious tracking effort would be in order, by someone who is very fit and can go through any terrain and highly skilled in tracking. Special ops training would be ideal.

The tracker(s) would need to be able to climb proficiently in order to keep up. I think back on the BFRO report from northern California where a woman was out solo backpacking, sleeping under the stars, and witnessed a BF climb a rock cliff at a high rate of speed. She estimated it was "at least 5.9" for a human to do it.

My point is that BF can go places a human might be able to go, its just that we would get there a whole lot slower. They swim very well and have been observed diving into water and swimming underwater for long distances (see BFRO report for the sighting at Beginner's Hole).

I think BF is very smart and athletic in ways humans can't approach. Don't be surprised if the tracker becomes the trackee.

So sayth the faithful to Darwin.... Darwin is also wrong BTW.... IMHO...

For what it's worth, and without attempting to take the thread off course, I agree

BFF Patron
....it limits the ability to observe because you are announcing your position and they can take evasive action.

Maybe in many cases. Certainly not in all. Not the way I view it. If you have home territory you use and it overlaps the same territory as BF.....the only evasive action they take will be to check you out further.....most specifically when they know you are on to them. JMOVHIO. :)

I think BF is very smart and athletic in ways humans can't approach. Don't be surprised if the tracker becomes the trackee.

Exactly, "the tracker becomes the tracked" and then the speed factor of BF will take on a whole new meaning.