Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

It could be a German 88, zeroed in.  Gotta put the rounds on target.

Grizzly have pressed home charges with their heart shot in half.  Boy, I'd want to make triple **** sure...and have a bigger backup gun,  maybe a Time on Target from the National Guard, which may be why I am not doing this.

Of course you're going to a visual and time to properly use it. If you're just walking down a trail, and Bigfoot grabs you from around a tree, or you surprise a cougar in close quarters you're crap out of luck no matter what type of gun you have. Gotta keep those guns clean and in order. I shoot mine quite often and keep them in perfect working order and shape. 

I do travel in groups when on Bigfoot stuff out in the woods. So I won't be the first one grabbed. I have developed a secret strategy unknown to the rest of my group, where I always put myself in the middle of the group. This way if something happens, I can either acquire time to have my gun ready, or trip the nearest person in front of me or behind me depending on which way we gotta run.

Tripping is, shall we say, inefficient.  "Put yourself in my shoes.  Are you *aiming*?  Yeah he was in my path.  So...?"

Was joking about the tripping part. That's a long running joke around the campfires. No one in our group is trigger happy and no one even talks about it. I feel if I ever would need a reason to pull one it would be in one of the way too many local Walmart parking lots, and not in the woods against a Bigfoot.

I just have to out run the slowest person there.

if I was to shoot one it would be for science and nothing more.

4 hours ago, FarArcher said:

I carry a Kimber 1911 - conceal carry everywhere.

If anyone thinks a .45ACP is going to drop one of these things - you're going to be in for a real disappointment.

Then a surprise - as that critter is going to be really, really irritated.

Sooooooooooooooo....

If I get a clear shot w/my .223 deer hunting rifle, I might want to reconsider?  Fortunately, I very much doubt that I'll ever be in that position.  

4 hours ago, norseman said:

With dangerous game there are times your lucky if you get one or two shots off.

And even if the animal is dead on its feet? It still can kill you in the mean time. And dirty semi autos jam....unlike a lever or a bolt. Leaving you with a 10 lbs billy club.

Thats why the guides don't pack .308's or semi autos into the bush for dangerous game.

I responded to a specific situation and post of being in the clear not a charge or a surprise very close range encounter . I'm not a big fan of lever actions even though I have one.

I have a Marlin guide gun .450 ported 18" barrel . I think it's slow and difficult for  fast follow up shot.  Semis have come a long way in reliability . I've run 100's and 100's of rounds

through my  AR10's in range sessions with no jams . rain ,snow no issues . If they were to get dirty due to being dropped in mud or sand . They are easy to field strip and clean ,even the trigger group in a pinch can be cleaned by squirting a water bottle into  the trigger group since it's all exposed when field striped . , lever actions really can't be field striped without tools and time .  . AR  platforms are drop mag, pull charging handle , insert new mag and hit bolt release . Few seconds at most. to clear most jams due to mag issues or stove pipe etc..

My self personally I like shoot mostly bolt actions now .

3 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

I just have to out run the slowest person there.

if I was to shoot one it would be for science and nothing more.

Gotcha

• Upvote 1

To me it depends on how much distance you have.  I do not ever want to be in that situation but if it was me or BF I am going to stand my ground I can not out run it.  As for a 223,cal with a 30 round clip I think a calm?  person could change a BF'S mind if they were a good shot, chest, stomach, head, knees !  If they bleed they can die.  When I go out I have two 9 mm extra clips hollow points that is for hogs and snakes so I hope I never have to find out.  But I do believe that BF will not be solved until there is a body !!!!!!

7 hours ago, norseman said:

With dangerous game there are times your lucky if you get one or two shots off.

And even if the animal is dead on its feet? It still can kill you in the mean time. And dirty semi autos jam....unlike a lever or a bolt. Leaving you with a 10 lbs billy club.

Thats why the guides don't pack .308's or semi autos into the bush for dangerous game.

What dumbazz guide would go out with a dirty rifle?  If any weapon in the field gets dunked, dropped in mud, or falls over in the dirt - it would take a full-blown retard to blow it off and let it go.  Because that's your butt on the line.

In the early days of the M16, they suffered two misfires per thousand shots, due to:

1.  The rifle and round was tested with Dupont IMR 8208M stick powder, but the Army had a lot of Olin WC846 BALL powder they substituted, and it fouled terribly unless the weapon was cleaned well and often.

2.  No cleaning kits were issued, nor were any cleaning instructions given.

3.  The barrel was not chrome plated - leading to corrosion and trouble extracting the rounds.

4.  Rifles didn't have a forward assist - which slams the round to seat like a bolt action does.

Semi-autos are very reliable - even automatic pistols - and if you know the weapon, and you know the trick, each can be cleared of a stovepipe or double feed in one second.  Even a Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun I used in combat would occasionally have a round jump out of the magazine and jam the loading gate - which I had slotted, enabling clearing in an instant with one of my dog tags.

No weapon is 100%.  Not one.  The semi rifles are now as accurate as bolt actions, a whole lot more accurate than a lever, and you can put three rounds on target for every one of the bolt actions or lever actions.  Lots more firepower without sacrificing accuracy.

I agree on everything else you said.  I just saw a video of a guy poking a small cave, pistol in hand, and he didn't get a shot off - a cat came out and got on him so fast he couldn't do anything.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TritonTr196 said:

Of course you're going to a visual and time to properly use it. If you're just walking down a trail, and Bigfoot grabs you from around a tree, or you surprise a cougar in close quarters you're crap out of luck no matter what type of gun you have. Gotta keep those guns clean and in order. I shoot mine quite often and keep them in perfect working order and shape. 

I do travel in groups when on Bigfoot stuff out in the woods. So I won't be the first one grabbed. I have developed a secret strategy unknown to the rest of my group, where I always put myself in the middle of the group. This way if something happens, I can either acquire time to have my gun ready, or trip the nearest person in front of me or behind me depending on which way we gotta run.

Finally.

A man with a workable, well thought out plan.

Admin

I think we need to separate rifles from sidearms, and also the situation: long range target shooting vs close range self-defense or opportunity kill shot.

Close range self-defense is the most interesting to me when I'm out in the woods. So I'm talking side arms.

Glocks seem to be the most reliable semi-autos with the striker design. WVFooter carries a 10mm Glock when we go out BFing. I carry my 1911 .45 ACP which I love, but it does jam every once in a while even though I maintain it religiously. It is very sensitive to temperature and very picky of the kind of ammo I feed it. I know it'll get the first round off no question. I know its mostly a psychological thing, it almost never jams, but it has on occasion and that bothers me.

My wife has an FNH 9mm "plastic" (hammer design) and I've pumped hundreds of rounds with all kinds of ammo and it has NEVER jammed, ever. They make a .45 ACP version which I like very much.

Yet, I'm now looking to get a 44 Magnum revolver as my preferred side arm when out in the field. There's just no substitute for total confidence in your last line of defense...

gigantor, about that .45 of yours.  Most 1911's need 500 rounds through it to "break it in" and start getting more reliable.  These CNC jobs today have some very tight tolerances, and unless one has a custom job for more reliable feeding - then the alternative is to put five hundred through it.  

For example, the 1911's the Army had/have, actually rattle when you shake them, but they'll fire first time, every time, and will eat anything.  The only gun I've ever seen that gets more reliable as time goes on.

One other caution - there's one manufacturer that makes a good looking .44 mag, but after a while, it's timing goes on the blink and becomes a bit unreliable.  I don't own stock or anything, but a S&W .44 mag is the most reliable one on the market - although you may wish to go whole hog and find a used Colt Anaconda - at a significant premium price.

If it's made in South America - I would never recommend it.

Another firearm that's boss is the SIG - even the .357 SIG is one heck of a gun, and you'll burn a thousand rounds and still not see a misfire.

Edited by FarArcher

Admin

Thanks for the advise, I am getting the S&W .44.

My 1911 is from Remington, the first version they made a few years back and maybe that's the problem. But I've lost confidence in the weapon now, it's likely just this particular model of the 1911; and like I said, it's probably a psych thing... it sucks not trusting your side arm, so I'm moving on.

49 minutes ago, FarArcher said:

gigantor, about that .45 of yours.  Most 1911's need 500 rounds through it to "break it in" and start getting more reliable.  These CNC jobs today have some very tight tolerances, and unless one has a custom job for more reliable feeding - then the alternative is to put five hundred through it.

It's a great idea to shoot as many rounds as possible with a new gun. I have several full size 1911's of different brands that I don't shoot due some are relics and some I just have as I like to collect old relic guns in good condition. That is why I chose Kimbers as my main ones. Both my full size upper end models have over a thousand rounds in them and one misfire between the two. My carry is a ultra carry Kimber 45 and I got around 800 rounds in it with only one jam. It was a cheaper ammo as all my active shooting guns I try all kinds of brands in them to see what happens. I have a favorite brand for my self defense rounds and practice rounds but I try numerous brands during the burn in period on them. Kimber has my pick for best tolerances in a 45 that I've personally tried. I've shot some brands I don't own so can't really say anything about those as several clips doesn't give me an opinion on them. Same goes for my rifles for burn in rounds. Shooting a lot of rounds with a new gun makes it a lot smoother and you really get to learn how the gun works. The only thing about a Kimber is you need the little pin, or a paper clip to take it down. Thing is with a 1911 is go very sparsely on the oil and never over lubricate one. I also have the crimson green laser grip on my ultra carry. I would suggest getting one with the green laser.

On the subject of them jamming at the wrong time, this is why I sometimes carry two 1911's. The main reason is I'm only 5'6" and skinny, it balances the weight of the other one out. 1911's aren't exactly light.

17 minutes ago, TritonTr196 said:

It's a great idea to shoot as many rounds as possible with a new gun. I have several full size 1911's of different brands that I don't shoot due some are relics and some I just have as I like to collect old relic guns in good condition. That is why I chose Kimbers as my main ones. Both my full size upper end models have over a thousand rounds in them and one misfire between the two. My carry is a ultra carry Kimber 45 and I got around 800 rounds in it with only one jam. It was a cheaper ammo as all my active shooting guns I try all kinds of brands in them to see what happens. I have a favorite brand for my self defense rounds and practice rounds but I try numerous brands during the burn in period on them. Kimber has my pick for best tolerances in a 45 that I've personally tried. I've shot some brands I don't own so can't really say anything about those as several clips doesn't give me an opinion on them. Same goes for my rifles for burn in rounds. Shooting a lot of rounds with a new gun makes it a lot smoother and you really get to learn how the gun works. The only thing about a Kimber is you need the little pin, or a paper clip to take it down. Thing is with a 1911 is go very sparsely on the oil and never over lubricate one. I also have the crimson green laser grip on my ultra carry. I would suggest getting one with the green laser.

On the subject of them jamming at the wrong time, this is why I sometimes carry two 1911's. The main reason is I'm only 5'6" and skinny, it balances the weight of the other one out. 1911's aren't exactly light.

Yep, mine is a Ultra CDP II, and the ultras come from the custom shop. 

I bobbed the safety on the RHS, giving me just enough clearance for my CT laser grips.  This 1911 is very reliable right out of the box.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic