Bigfoot: Would You Shoot One?

Guest TooRisky

Guest TooRisky

J. anderson interviews a would be hunter who believes in killing a BF: Just the messenger here folks... ;)

I'm excited about an upcoming Bigfoot expedition I will be attending soon with the BFRO in the northern region of the U.S. I always enjoy doing actual field research in addition to blogging about Bigfoot. What I'm also curious about is an invitation I recently received from a Bigfoot researcher who wants to shoot a Bigfoot in the name of science. And he's invited me to tag along. Is this guy crazy?

You might be surprised to know that a small minority of Bigfoot researchers carry out the same fantasy as this man (let's call him "Dave") and they believe the only way to prove Bigfoots exists is to shoot one. I personally don't believe that killing something is the best way to prove it's living, and most fans from www.facebook.com/findbigfoot and other Bigfoot sites would probably agree.

I've also been contacted in the last few months by a man from New York who is willing to hire retired military commandos to go into the field to capture or kill a Bigfoot. It beginning to feel like a techno-thriller Vince Flynn novel or maybe something from the late Michael Crichton (think Jurassic Park).

Why Do People Want to Shoot Bigfoot?

I asked Dave the very same question in my interview with him, and here's what he had to say...

J. Andersen: How long have you been researching bigfoot? And have your seen one?

Dave: Since 1996. No I have not seen one, except for a picture my sister has of one on the Apostle Islands.

J. Andersen: Do you research alone or with a group?

Dave: Mostly alone, sometimes with one other person.

J. Andersen: How common/uncommon do you think bigfoots are?

Dave: I dont think they are everywhere, I think they live in remote areas where human activity is at its least, and in areas where certain animals are protected this way they would never see a human.

J. Andersen: How come you are not a skeptic?

Dave: Because I think that something like a North American Ape could exist.

J. Andersen: Why are bigfoots so hard to photograph?

Dave: The same reason why it's so hard to photograph bear and deer in the wild. Animals don't want encounters with us humans just like bigfoot, it's hardwired in there brains to RUN when they confront a human/person.

J. Andersen: Why do you think photographs/videos arent convincing evidence?

Dave: Because photos and videos can be faked and a pic or vid of a bigfoot isn't enough hard evidence to prove what you're looking at is real or not.

J. Andersen: Why do you hunt Bigfoot?

Dave: To prove that he/she exists I'm gonna try my hardest not to kill it if I can capture or immobilize it alive I would rather do it that way, but if I have to kill it then so be it. I will do it that way, Ican't say until that day comes.

J. Andersen: How do you plan on doing it?

Dave: The same way any other animal is hunted with a gun, proper camouflage and LUCK.

J. Andersen: Are you concerned with the Ethics of shooting a bigfoot?

Dave: Yes and No, there's no law against hunting Bigfoot where I'm from. Most people hate me for what I'm doing and that's fine but the only way to prove 100% that it exists is by capturing one dead or alive.

J. Andersen: What motivates you to shoot/capture a Bigfoot?

The thrill of being in its element, the thrill of being in his territory, the thrill of the hunt and to prove to the world that Bigfoot exists...

What Dave describes here is a real, growing frustration among Bigfoot researchers. Why can't we capture this thing on good video? With all of our modern technology and the hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear that the Bigfoot community owns, how do Bigfoots continue to avoid camera and thermal imaging? I can't answer that question.

I can't say I agree with Dave's research methods and as I stated earlier, I don't believe that killing something is the best way to prove it's living -- but I certainly understand Dave's interest in proving Bigfoots are real.

Should I follow Dave in the woods while he's slinging a gun? Let me know what you think...

I'm pro shoot. But could I, personally? I would have to be in the situation to be sure. I like to think I could but I can see how a somewhat human looking primate could cause one to hesitate.

I can't say I agree with Dave's research methods and as I stated earlier, I don't believe that killing something is the best way to prove it's living -- ...

[/size][/font]

It is one of the best ways though to prove it's dead. Based on what we *know* about bigfoot, what would be the downside?

I disagree.

Look at all the tracks, hair, video, pictures of bigfoot we have. Still, 'mainstream' science says it doesn't exist. Its going to take a body (or a part of one) to say I told you so. Take all the photographs and video you want, they will still say it's a hoax, tree stump, bear, deer, whatever.

I don't have a problem with shooting one to prove it exists. If I were going on an expedition looking to prove sasquatch exists, I would bring weapons with me.

However I don't plan on looking for it, so if I ran across it I wouldn't try to kill it unless it tried to harm me first. I'm not interested in being the first guy to kill a sasquatch and if there is more than one sasquatch around I don't want to be alone on my way out of the woods. Especially with a slow firing but powerful hunting rifle.

But if someone else wants to kill a bigfoot to prove it exists, by all means. I don't hate them for it, I think its the best way to prove it exists.

Just one Private's opinion... (are Privates allowed to have one?)

That is a question that always bothered me on a personal level. Only because of my love for the wild and its forests. I would not be able to do it myself.

But on the level of science, it may need to be done. We have to understand that no matter how good and clear and close-up a pic or vid is, it will still be under scrutiny. Unless one of these creatures is taped doing something totally out of human context levels like giving birth, driving a tree into the ground, skinning and eating something....ect., then ya got something good. Even then, who knows, there are some hard core sceptics out there.

I think you going on this quest is great! You don't have to worry about someone carring a gun with that purpose, unless you think it will have reprocusions for you (emotionally) if the purpose was fulfilled. In fact, I would not want to venture into the wild on a Bigfoot hunt unless someone was carring a gun.

Good luck!

:)

"I've also been contacted in the last few months by a man from New York who is willing to hire retired military commandos to go into the field to capture or kill a Bigfoot."

Retired military "commandos" would be my last choice and I are one.:)

Once again I ask "why is a SEAL, SF or Recon the top choice for Bigfoot hunters?"

What can we do that civilian hunters in good physical shape cant?

NavySEAL

If you are considering accompanying Dave in the woods, meet him face to face first and maybe even go on another type of hunt with him to see how he handles himself in the woods while armed. I guess trust is the big issue I would have. Also consider the remote possibility that he is able to get a shot off at one and what he expects from you. I understand the pro-kill side, but its not my responsibility to prove bf exists to anyone and I would not tag along. If you decide to go, learn as much as you can about the animals that inhabit the area and maybe even wear some hunters orange (if hunting season is open). UPs

Guest TooRisky

I am happy to see that a good discussion can be had for and against the killing of a Sasquatch... You, me, we are all humans and as humans we tend to justify the ends to our means... My biggest fear is that Sasquatch will be found dead or alive and thus start the fateful end to this species... Look what the track record of man is when a new species is found, it starts with killing and scientifically dissecting the species... Then we determine that it is an endangered species and huge swathes of forest land is snatched up never to be seen by the public again... then science has to have a live one for observation in the name of science. then Zoo's have to have a pair and then humanity has to save these creatures from them selves and then starts the captive breeding programs...

This cant happen... Well Bengal Tigers... Panda Bears....Silverback Gorillas and on and on this has happened... we find them and then we decimate them to the point we have to save them in a breeding program... just great, so in the end of the Boss of the woods sits on a concrete slab surrounded by re-enforced cable cage looking at his would be mate they found where ever and this is the end of this grand species...

Hmmm maybe I prefer to know they exist, yet ploy they are tales of crazy old Indians... To do my best as a skeptic, a very very determined skeptic to save this species in the natural environment they now reside... To camp with the thought that i may just be being watch by a curious species that has no idea i care for them as much as I do... Hmmm

So maybe there is a 3rd side to be on, Skeptical Disinformation of the species in order to save them from man... I like it...

Admin

"I've also been contacted in the last few months by a man from New York who is willing to hire retired military commandos to go into the field to capture or kill a Bigfoot."

Retired military "commandos" would be my last choice and I are one.:)

Once again I ask "why is a SEAL, SF or Recon the top choice for Bigfoot hunters?"

What can we do that civilian hunters in good physical shape cant?

NavySEAL

I think the reasoning is due to the training that specops soldiers receive such as survival training, land navigation, tracking, the ability to operate effectively under most conditions, familiarity with various weapons, etc...

Some of the anti-terror guys also have training in interviewing/interrogations, crime scene processing and evidence collection.

I agree MB. I think it's the idea that "special operations" folks can handle themselves in adverse conditions (i.e., survival, land nav, etc as MB stated). There are likely plenty of other options though. Many regular folks can provide the expertise in going into the field and "capturing" one.

One group I think would be real handy to use would be volunteer search and rescue folks. In my state SAR is handled at the county level, part of the sheriff's jurisdiction. So, there are a number of volunteers, headed by a representative of the sheriff's dept (a lieutenant in my case). The SAR team does a LOT of training (tracking, survival, firearms, land nav, etc.) which is overseen by the sheriff's department; although much of it is done solely by the volunteers and utilizing the volunteers time and resources. Our county has ~100+ volunteers as part of the SAR team. It'd be interesting to get them in the field for the sole purpose of searching for evidence of bigfoot (although a number of them believe, I would imagine most wouldn't show up because they'd think it was ridiculous). If someone could coordinate between SAR volunteers across the nation you might find a great deal of resources that would be relevant to the search for evidence.

SSR Team

I am happy to see that a good discussion can be had for and against the killing of a Sasquatch... You, me, we are all humans and as humans we tend to justify the ends to our means... My biggest fear is that Sasquatch will be found dead or alive and thus start the fateful end to this species... Look what the track record of man is when a new species is found, it starts with killing and scientifically dissecting the species... Then we determine that it is an endangered species and huge swathes of forest land is snatched up never to be seen by the public again... then science has to have a live one for observation in the name of science. then Zoo's have to have a pair and then humanity has to save these creatures from them selves and then starts the captive breeding programs...

This cant happen... Well Bengal Tigers... Panda Bears....Silverback Gorillas and on and on this has happened... we find them and then we decimate them to the point we have to save them in a breeding program... just great, so in the end of the Boss of the woods sits on a concrete slab surrounded by re-enforced cable cage looking at his would be mate they found where ever and this is the end of this grand species...

Hmmm maybe I prefer to know they exist, yet ploy they are tales of crazy old Indians... To do my best as a skeptic, a very very determined skeptic to save this species in the natural environment they now reside... To camp with the thought that i may just be being watch by a curious species that has no idea i care for them as much as I do... Hmmm

So maybe there is a 3rd side to be on, Skeptical Disinformation of the species in order to save them from man... I like it...

I'm not so sure risky..

IF one gets bagged however, that's one thing..

But getting another, or Filming one, or studying them, or create breeding programmes, or get anothe rin a Zoo, i just can't see it..

The acceptance of the species via one Animal won't in my opinion mean that all of a sudden others will be easier to find i don't think..

• Upvote 1

Guest Creekfreak

A man doesent have to even be in shape Navy he just has to be dumb enough and tough enough to endure being in a swamp long enough to get luckey .

Hey Navy wana go for a boat ride ?

Good point Risky.

We always consume ourselves if we could, we never stop and think about if we should.

Twenty years ago I would have been all in favor of shooting a Bigfoot. However, over the years, I've lost my taste for blood and I'm not so quick to pull the trigger. Perhaps; that's why most soldiers are young? These days, I enjoy the hunting experience a lot more than the killing part of the hunt. That being said, I have given a lot of thought to the possibility of shooting a Bigfoot and I agree with many of the posts in that it would take skill, patience but mostly luck.

It's never easy to pull the trigger when you consider that you are about to end the life of another living being and I would imagine that it's much more difficult when that being is an animal that walks on two feet and resembles a man. Furthermore, you can't discount the "fear factor" in that a deer can't fight back if it's wounded but a Bigfoot is not a deer. Having hunted "dangerous" game in Alaska, I can tell you, from my experience, that you tend to give a lot of thought to the consequences of a poor shot and the ability to recover if an animal were to charge. You put all of this together and I think it would take a very unique person to shoot one of these animals. At the very least, a foolish one....

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, I do agree that it will take more than just a video or a photo; regardless of the quality or the circumstances surrounding the images. I do believe that a good video or photo will open the door to more serious exploration by main stream science but even that would just escalate the demand for a specimen. I think that if Bigfoot does exist; it's inevitable that one will be killed in order to advance our knowledge of the species. If we have not had a decent viewing of this animal in over 30 years then I suspect that scientists will not be as patient as we have been. Of course, one may get hit by a truck tonight and we won't have to worry about it ;)

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic