Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

Has the study of BF caused you to not enjoy nature? When back packing or just hiking in areas where BF roams, does sleeping out creep-you-out to the point where it is not fun? I have read too many stories and ignorance is no longer bliss.

A friend of mine was sleeping out and a BF came up in the middle of the night and put his hand over his face. He freaked and saw the monster running away. This might be a form of BF humor, but incidents like this can ruin the joy of camping out.

I will camp out in a hard body trailer or high in the trees in a hammock, but not alone on the ground unless I have a good big watch dog. I don't have such a dog so forget it. Feeling unprotected in a sleeping is not enjoyable even if I have my 12 guage.

Has the study of BF caused you to not enjoy nature? When back packing or just hiking in areas where BF roams, does sleeping out creep-you-out to the point where it is not fun? I have read too many stories and ignorance is no longer bliss.

A friend of mine was sleeping out and a BF came up in the middle of the night and put his hand over his face. He freaked and saw the monster running away. This might be a form of BF humor, but incidents like this can ruin the joy of camping out.

I will camp out in a hard body trailer or high in the trees in a hammock, but not alone on the ground unless I have a good big watch dog. I don't have such a dog so forget it. Feeling unprotected in a sleeping is not enjoyable even if I have my 12 guage.

I sleep outside unprotected and I've been fine (had my .45 at least). There was a few times where I got to thinking about bigfoot and I just freaked myself out.

If that were to happen to me, holy S&*% I would never step foot in the woods again

Guest rockinkt

I sleep outside unprotected and I've been fine (had my .45 at least). There was a few times where I got to thinking about bigfoot and I just freaked myself out.

If that were to happen to me, holy S&*% I would never step foot in the woods again

When I was a kid my father taught me a great lesson in sleeping at night in the bush with friends.

Just as you get settled in for the night - whisper loudly "Did you hear that? It sounds just like that bear that tore our camp up the last time I was camping! There! Did you hear it now?"

You can then settle in for a sound sleep safe in the knowledge that your now freaked out friends will be wide awake and on guard straining to hear any threats throughout the night.

Guest believer

Excellent bigfoot trap. Fake campsite with mannequins in sleeping bags. No seriously, I do carry my gun with me in the woods. I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail and didn't have my gun for a variety of reasons. The areas of strong bear urine odor was enough for me to think about bringing it despite the legal consequences (Federal park) I just want to be prepared to make the most of an encounter should I be blessed with one. Hopefully, with video evidence.

I don't let anything deter me from having fun in the woods, especially backpacking and camping.

My only gripe is that when bigfoot comes to visit me, he drinks all of my coffee. Darn ingrate!!! ;)

When I was a kid my father taught me a great lesson in sleeping at night in the bush with friends.

Just as you get settled in for the night - whisper loudly "Did you hear that? It sounds just like that bear that tore our camp up the last time I was camping! There! Did you hear it now?"

You can then settle in for a sound sleep safe in the knowledge that your now freaked out friends will be wide awake and on guard straining to hear any threats throughout the night.

:lol: I love it.

No, I am not afraid of BF, but I am afraid methheads and psychos that seem to like the solitude of the forest as much as I do. Animals want to eat you, protect their young, or get away from you...I can deal with that...people on the other hand, cannot be trusted.

Guest RedRatSnake

I never worry about BF while out in the woods camping ~ hiking or swimming in the many ponds we got around my way, the only thing that i got to watch out for is MR Park Ranger stopping by to hand me a fine for having too much of a good time :)

Don't think the idea of BF roaming the woods would keep me out. Primarily because I don't believe BF exists.

But I am careful...due to Bears, Cougars.

Guest TooRisky

Yeah I love sleeping out under the stars in the summer...and spend more time than I like sleeping in a van in the winter researching... my biggest fear is Pink Monkeys followed by cougars then bears and well really have no fear of BF, I actually want to have a face to face... But don't get me wrong, I have my .44Mag with hot loads by my side, because Momma did not raise a fool...

To ease the mind of those sleeping out under the stars and worried... Build up and keep a fire going, it is not that hard or buy a nice multi LED light to light the area to keep all the night stalkers at bay... Look the woods are the same in the day as in the night, just a little darker... There is nothing to be afraid of if you are prepared properly, hell I would be more afraid of camping in a city park than of sleeping in the open out in the woods... Don't let your mind's dark side control and take over what is a great family fum time...

2R

Well, I always camp with the rain fly on, and zipped up. It can be like a million degrees out, but that dang rain fly is magic to me. NO PEEKIES! It's one thing to hear fatboy messing around outside (something I think I MAY have experienced this summer)and quite another to wake up to PEEKIES! :unsure:

The hand over the face is something that DOES wake me up freaking out screaming and ready to shoot, so if that had happened to me I woulda done something stupid...like scream, or try to shoot. (Don't touch my face when I'm sleeping. It's a thing, and you've been warned.)

I have a friend who told me about a story of a gal who went camping solo and was being menaced by cougars. Well, they didn't tear open the tent...just batted at it with her inside. She cut a hole in the bottom and walked out WEARING the tent. Made it out okay.

It's either just a good story or proof that tents are MAGIC! :P

B) 'TooRisky' nailed it for me. I've had Squatchy in camp before and, while they can be an intimidating nuisance, there is nothing worse than having to deal with the growing predator population of cougar and bear here in Ontario. Squatchy is always a bit scary to deal with but is welcome, overall.

Dudlow

Guest TooRisky

Well, I always camp with the rain fly on, and zipped up. It can be like a million degrees out, but that dang rain fly is magic to me. NO PEEKIES! It's one thing to hear fatboy messing around outside (something I think I MAY have experienced this summer)and quite another to wake up to PEEKIES! :unsure:

The hand over the face is something that DOES wake me up freaking out screaming and ready to shoot, so if that had happened to me I woulda done something stupid...like scream, or try to shoot. (Don't touch my face when I'm sleeping. It's a thing, and you've been warned.)

I have a friend who told me about a story of a gal who went camping solo and was being menaced by cougars. Well, they didn't tear open the tent...just batted at it with her inside. She cut a hole in the bottom and walked out WEARING the tent. Made it out okay.

It's either just a good story or proof that tents are MAGIC! :P

LOL I bet if she sparked of a round from a "big Bore handgun"... She would have been able to sleep the rest of the night in peace and comfort... Not having to bounce off trees walking out and buying a new tent, but having to patch a hole in the roof...

PS: If this was a Cougar, she would have been attacked walking out with the tent, think of a cat with a moving tent thing... Irristable... Tents are nothing more than what they are, a thin material shelter to protect you from the rain or while dressing/undressing and nothing more... B)

If anything, I think I've gained interest, and hiked and day packed deeper into places, I never did before. I've slowed down on the big pack hikes, and only do this when I need to haul the essentials into an off road base camp.

I sleep in a tent, for shelter, privacy, and to keep the bugs off me. I'm not too worried about BF bothering me, and the reason I'm doing most of it, is in the hopes of maybe having an encounter. I realize, that the chances are pretty slim. I won't say that I wouldn't be scared, if I saw it or it was there right around the tent... because this hasn't happened yet, and how would I really know how I would react (?), until it does.

I sleep with a .357 under the pillow, but it's not meant for BF. I am more concerned about the possible unfriendly deep woods people, or that freak predator animal encounter, than about BF bothering me. I feel the same about this, whether I'm hiking, sleeping, or just hanging in camp.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic