Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

Its never once stopped me. I don't go often but its not a big deal. Never had an encounter and you don't hear about it down here, so I guess I get away with "ignorance is bliss." :)

Actually wild animals, including big cats, don't always get things like a "thin material barrier." Watch a tiger hunt from the begining of the 20th Century. They use a couple of elephants as gun platforms then have some guys pretty much stretch out a big sheet to act as a wall. They beat the grass with stick to make noise. Tiger thinks there are walls closing in and tries to get away all the while being further scared by the sound of the sticks in the grass. Once they have the animal corraled they would shoot it. Okay, now it sounds ridiculous to tell someone to grab a sheet, make some noise, and "Go heard that tiger!" But it works. So the cougar was probably pretty lost about the whole tent thing. "It looks solid but it kind of moves, weird!"

Guest Ricochet

I was exploring a section of remote woods earlier this year where my son and I had our first encounter while night fishing about 8 years ago. Being retired law enforcement, I never go anywhere without legally carrying a means of protection. It saved my life in this situation. I encourage any law biding citizen to take advantage of the concealed handgun licenses many states afford.

While making my way along the creek, three Pit Bull dogs came crashing out of the brush about 100 yards away. They tracked my scent and charged me at 50 yards. There was no where to run, climb or hide. Without even thinking, I had my 45 ACP out and a quick double tap in front of them instantly turned them back. They fled one way while I ran the opposite direction and didn't stop til I got to my pickup along the highway.

You must always be prepared for the unexpected. I never would have thought of encountering a group of feral dogs, but without my pistol, I would have been their helpless chew toy.

Always expect the unexpected, be prepared for a serious defense if you are alone out there. Sadly, this also includes a small number of humans....

I was exploring a section of remote woods earlier this year where my son and I had our first encounter while night fishing about 8 years ago. Being retired law enforcement, I never go anywhere without legally carrying a means of protection. It saved my life in this situation. I encourage any law biding citizen to take advantage of the concealed handgun licenses many states afford.

While making my way along the creek, three Pit Bull dogs came crashing out of the brush about 100 yards away. They tracked my scent and charged me at 50 yards. There was no where to run, climb or hide. Without even thinking, I had my 45 ACP out and a quick double tap in front of them instantly turned them back. They fled one way while I ran the opposite direction and didn't stop til I got to my pickup along the highway.

You must always be prepared for the unexpected. I never would have thought of encountering a group of feral dogs, but without my pistol, I would have been their helpless chew toy.

Always expect the unexpected, be prepared for a serious defense if you are alone out there. Sadly, this also includes a small number of humans....

An incident like you've just described, is exactly why I carry mine. Thanks for sharing.

Pit bulls in the woods sounds more like an illegal pot grow area.

The 1911 is a great firearm Colossus. I typically care a 1911 .45 in town and a Ruger Blackhawk .44M in the woods.

What happened during your encounter?

Did ya shoot the dogs?

I have a friend who told me about a story of a gal who went camping solo and was being menaced by cougars. Well, they didn't tear open the tent...just batted at it with her inside. She cut a hole in the bottom and walked out WEARING the tent. Made it out okay.

It's either just a good story or proof that tents are MAGIC! :P

Oh great, now I have a new worry while camping out! Cougars. I was hoping to shake by camping fear with this thread, but it's not happening! Never realized cougars would try to get in the tent. Do you suppose the cougars would have attacked if the tent door was open?

My brother-in-law went camping in the Craggie Mts. in Northern CA. He laughs at BF being real then goes on to tell me in the middle of the night, something held onto his big toe that was poking out the tent side. He thought it was an Elk sucking on his toe. I laughed knew there is a 20 to 1 chance it was a BF.

One night, I slept in an area on the top of the Southern Oregon Coast Range where there were some tree breaks. My Ford Explorer was going to be the BF bait. My 12 guage auto was by my side, but I woke up with fear ever half hour to scann the area with the full moon light. It was a miserable night not to be repeated soon.

Edited by georgerm

I lost interest in backpacking by the time I went into the military and learned how equipment can get you much deeper into the wilderness, and that same equipment can carry a very comfortable camp.

I'm certainly not afraid of a sasquatch in the woods. I've got something very real to be concerned with: brown bears. Lots of 'em. To make matters worse, I've personally talked with two gentlemen who have been mauled by them, and the local newspapers give me the gruesome details of bear maulings and fatatlites that occur around here each and every year for the past 35+ years.

More, I've even noticed that news outlets in the Lower 48 don't carry these stories. I believe it's all part of the greenie campaign to make people more friendly with bears. But I can assure you, people get chewed up around here each and every year, and I mean multiple people in different events. It's part and parcel of life in Alaska.

So I just go to bed in my tent each night (lots of nights each year, both winter and summer) with my sidearm laying next to my cot. If a bear wants trouble, I intend to give him plenty of it.

The Lewis and Clark journals made me realize just how well armed I am. The Mandan Sioux feared brown bears, especially before they had rifles. Lewis and Clark learned to respect them, because their rifles were essentially good for a single shot, and brown bears are notorious for being hard to kill. Me? I've got rifles that are exponentially more powerful, and they shoot repeatedly. My handgun is more powerful than their rifles were. And I'm very good with both of them. Even if a bear was to kill me, the odds are that he'll eventually die, too, as a result of his attack on me. So I don't fear them, but I do respect their incredible strength, and have learned to respect their stealth and intelligence, too, due to the recent studies biolgists have conducted on brown bear behavior here in Southcentral Alaska.

When I was a kid my father taught me a great lesson in sleeping at night in the bush with friends.

Just as you get settled in for the night - whisper loudly "Did you hear that? It sounds just like that bear that tore our camp up the last time I was camping! There! Did you hear it now?"

You can then settle in for a sound sleep safe in the knowledge that your now freaked out friends will be wide awake and on guard straining to hear any threats throughout the night.

:lol: The problem with that is that they'll keep you up all night long screaming about all the little sounds they hear at night!

I agree Huntster. Those who are not afraid or wary of Bears (and I might add...Cougars), don't have much experience in areas where Bears or Cougars live.

Edited by Splash7
It is not necessary to quote the entire post directly above your post.

Well, one thing about not believing in them is you don't worry about them.

I spend about 1/3 or more of my time camped out by myself. If I worried about Bigfoot, I'd cry like a baby every night. As it is, I sleep like a baby.

Edited by Sonny

I agree Huntster. Those who are not afraid or wary of Bears (and I might add...Cougars), don't have much experience in areas where Bears or Cougars live.

Most definately. I didn't mention them because we don't have cougars in Alaska. Well, kinda'. One was killed near Wrangell (southeast Alaska panhandle) and turned in to ADFG a dozen or so years ago, so officially, they have been here. There are unconfirmed reports of them in various parts of the state now and then, but only the Wrangell event was confirmed for the scientist types like the skeptics we deal with right here.

And you're right, they're dangerous. The sniper type. Gotta' have your sidearm at all times in cougar country, because if he comes after you, it will be a sneak attack.

There's no doubt bears are the most fearsome foe in Alaska. What is it about BF that creeps out people? You know what a bear will do to you but BF seems to enjoy keeping its prey guessing. The unknown seems to keep me on edge. They sneak around camp, watch you, then throw stuff.............it's not a physical fear but psychological intimidation.

Guest mizzousquatchn

I still love to be in the woods. I guess i would be lying if i said i didn't have the big guy in the back of my mind though. But i guess there has never been any real evidence of anyone being hurt by one. or if they were know one made it back to tell about it. lol. And i guess if he wants to make me gone it will not last that long with the size of the one i saw. So i say... get out in the woods, enjoy what God has given us, and let the big guy do what he wants. ;)

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic