Lost Interest In Backpacking Or Hiking Due To Bf?

georgerm

A older couple that owns some property next to mine told me about something interesting that happened to them while out hiking. Although I do not openly talk about bf to anyone (too much ridicule), they knew I was looking around the area for bf sign. She recently asked me if bf was real. I thought for a moment and told her that it probably was, but only in the PNW (there was a reason for this statement). She then told me that if bf was in our area, she would never go up there again. She is terrified of the thought of bf in the woods. My earlier statement eased her fear about our area and she loves to hike around with husband or friends.

The media has portrayed bf as this mythical monster and many that are uneducated on the subject will react very similar to my neighbor. If bf is discovered, the media will probably hype the 'its a real monster in the woods' and if they do this, it may keep many people out of the forests. For myself, I am not convinced there are any bf in my area at this point, so I am unsure what it would do as far as losing interest in the outdoors activities. I would hope it would increase my interest and not allow fear to impede me. UPs

I've encountered bears and they always run, so they don't worry me much, I just try to keep a clean camp (don't leave food around). Cougars are scary because they are silent and big, but I don’t' walk in the woods alone in total darkness.

If I did encounter a BF I'd hope it would be a nonviolent, however if I was attacked, I'd pray to God that my camera was running and someone would find it when they search for my body.

I more concerned about the practical things that could happen, like getting my Jeep hopelessly stuck or falling and getting injured.

But mostly what I'm afraid of out there is running out of coffee.

But mostly what I'm afraid of out there is running out of coffee.

I've run out of coffee while in the woods. It is very inconvenient.

But when I run out of beer, I get downright terrified. That's when I flee, heading toward the nearest beer store.

God_wants_you_to_drink_beer0-size-600x0.jpg

Just don't put too much dry ice in the bottom of the cooler. Bad things happen. Hatchets don't work. It's not like a fun little archaeology expedition. Not at all.

It's really quite metaphysically painful to break out the nicely sun warmed "back up beer" with a cooler full of glacial goodness just sitting there shining in the afternoon rays mocking you.

This fear of attack from a cougar is irrational and WAY, WAY overblown.

If we examine statistics in the US and Canada during the 100-year period, from 1890-1990, only one adult human was killed by a cougar. That occurred in 1909. In the ensuing 81 years, no deaths.

Cougar attacks 1890-1990.

Moreover, there were only 20, or so, non-fatal attacks on adults during that same 100 years.

I do not have any statistics since 1990, so I can not comment about the past twenty years, but certainly during the 100-year period, 1890-1990, cougars represented no threat to adult humans.

It would be a shame if one's awareness of Bigfoot caused him, or her, to retreat from the forest. As we all read various BF websites everyone speaks of it as a peaceful creature. If there were truly aggressive attacks we collectively, at BFF, would hear about it.

As you can see from my post above, cougar are not a threat, brown/grizzly bear are an issue in only a small part of the US and Canada, and that threat is small too, and black bear are virtually no threat.

Go out and enjoy the splendor of the wild. If, while out there, you find a part of you becoming fearful just remember how exceedingly few people in the past 100 years have had a problem.

Smile and enjoy yourself. There's nothing to worry about.

Edited by wiiawiwb

If we examine statistics in the US and Canada during the 100-year period, from 1890-1990, only one adult human was killed by a cougar. That occurred in 1909. In the ensuing 81 years, no deaths.

Moreover, there were only 20, or so, non-fatal attacks on adults during that same 100 years.

I do not have any statistics since 1990, so I can not comment about the past twenty years, but certainly during the 100-year period, 1890-1990, cougars represented no threat to adult humans.

Wait, I don't believe that's entirely correct. There was the case of the female dragged off a trail by a cougar within the past ten (maybe fewer) years. Her friend came to her assistance, and the victim escaped. A male body was then recovered that the cat had previously killed. I'm not taking time to google it up, but most my details are correct.

Of course it's correct. I clearly identified the statistics were during the 100-year period from 1890-1990. I then specifically said I had no statistics thereafter and could not comment on the ensuing period.

In the meantime, I took a quick look and it appears since 1991 that two adults have been killed in the US and Canada.

That's a grand total of 3 adult deaths in 120 years in all of the US and Canada. That's statistically nothing. If you want to really get perspective, compare the 3 deaths to the number of human hours in the wild during those same 120 years and see what the hourly probability of death from a cougar.

Cougars, quite simply, are no threat to adult humans.

Edited by wiiawiwb

Too bad we don't still live in that era, when people shot cougars.

And it's funny you drop the past 20 years. It just so happens that there have been ELEVEN cougar fatalities since 1990, which is when cougar populations exploded in the West after cougar hunting was downright banned or severely restricted throughout the West.

Oh, and by the way, even your original claim of only one human fatality between 1890 & 1990 was incorrect. There were seven. There have been a grand total of 23 deaths attributed to cougars in North America between 1890 and 2010.

In comparison, there have been 94 confirmed fatalities from black, brown, and polar bears since 1900. That is certainly an incomplete record.

Cougars, quite simply, are no threat to adult humans.

Yikes. I don't lose sleep nights over my treks in the wild, but this is an untrue statement.

Yikes. I don't lose sleep nights over my treks in the wild, but this is an untrue statement.

His own link shows 9 fatalities between 1890 and 1989.

Apparently, the most dangerous place for cougar attacks is Vancouver Island. Those are some aggressive cats.

Those statistics are only deaths. I would be interested in all attacks on humans as that may give us a better idea of the actual danger (with population estimates too). A couple years ago, discovery channel (I think it was them), recreated an attack on a child as she was walking a trail from a parking lot to a beach area. The only thing that saved her was one of those orange life jackets that her dad put on her before she went trouncing down the path. The mother ended up beating the cougar off with a branch. They are like many predators as they want an easy meal and if you are able to put up a good fight or some lead into them, you just may survive the attack. I am not sure if this is true, but the program emphasized cougar will attack with a bite to the back of the neck and do not let go if you are nice to them. UPs

His own link shows 9 fatalities between 1890 and 1989.

Apparently, the most dangerous place for cougar attacks is Vancouver Island. Those are some aggressive cats.

They are. A few years ago, I recall reading a story and seeing a news interview, of a Vancouver Island, retired logger who was in his mid 60's at the time.

He had experienced a cougar attack and managed either to fight it off, or kill it. He always carried a large hunting knife when walking in the woods and this knife was the key to his survival.

Those statistics are only deaths. I would be interested in all attacks on humans as that may give us a better idea of the actual danger (with population estimates too).

His link also included 45 non-fatal attacks between 1890 & 1989.

They are. A few years ago, I recall reading a story and seeing a news interview, of a Vancouver Island, retired logger who was in his mid 60's at the time.

He had experienced a cougar attack and managed either to fight it off, or kill it. He always carried a large hunting knife when walking in the woods and this knife was the key to his survival.

I saw a show segment on that attack.

It appears that after Vancouver Island, California and Colorado are the next highest attack sites on list.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic