What Can Kill A Black Bear

Guest ecthorpe

Guest ecthorpe

Back in the late 70's my older brother found a freshly killed full grown black bear in the woods behind our house. It's neck was broke and was twisted, not a mark on it and the leaf litter on the ground was barely disturbed. Does anybody have any idea what animal in Tennessee that has the power to do that. My brother told me it looked like something just grabbed it and twisted without a fight.

Guest Lesmore

Back in the late 70's my older brother found a freshly killed full grown black bear in the woods behind our house. It's neck was broke and was twisted, not a mark on it and the leaf litter on the ground was barely disturbed. Does anybody have any idea what animal in Tennessee that has the power to do that. My brother told me it looked like something just grabbed it and twisted without a fight.

A bigger Black Bear.

Guest ecthorpe

A bigger Black Bear.

But it should show signs of a fight, some kind of a mark or blood. I don't know, I'm no expert on bear.

Guest Dudlow

B) Ah, yes, ah... that would be known as the Common Tennessee Bear Twister, a fully bipedal, hirsute, anthropoidal omnivore seldom seen but often heard harumphing loudly in the night behind everybody's house in the back woods of the proud State. :rock:

- Dudlow

Guest ecthorpe

any other clues or strange happenings?

you may want to click on this link to kbhunters accounts from GA BFF thread

he had some strange things going on, found a deer in similar condition as your bear. has pics posted of several items as well as a journal type report,you may find it interesting.

Yes, my brother and his friend would walk from his house to our late at night and something would follow them. But it was off the road at the edge of the woods. They made a flash light from a high beam headlight, and they spotlighted it. Its red eyes were around 8 to 9 feet high. What I saw walk across my porch, was the same height, I have never talked about it to any one until 2 or 3 years ago, I told my brother and he told me everything that he had found or had happen to him.

SSR Team

ecthorpe, the name " Pizza Steve " doesn't ring any bells for you does it ??

Guest Lesmore

But it should show signs of a fight, some kind of a mark or blood. I don't know, I'm no expert on bear.

I dunno...maybe the bigger Black bear snuck up on it.

Jocularity :unsure: aside....I think there could be reasons other than a BF twisting the head of the Black Bear.

I don't think that a BF necessarily did the damage to the bear.

I have read accounts of a big male Grizzly being flipped a number of feet into the air by even larger and angry Bull Buffalo. In this account (1850's, as witnessed by a local Dr. in these pioneer times in my home province)the bear landed on it's back, unfortunately it's neck on fallen tree which effectively broke it's neck...not much blood and gore though....according to the historical account...if I recall correctly.

Now I'm not saying that you have 2500 lb. Bull Buffalo's wandering around your state...or anything approaching the size of a Buffalo....but no one really knows what happened to the Black bear.

Black bears are big, but generally aren't huge. We have a lot of them (Black Bears) around here. Too many, IMO.

Edited by Lesmore

I have two questions/points.

#1 How does someone know if the neck is actually broken..? The neck/head seeming loose and floppy would not be enough to say the neck had been snapped.... Now if the bear's head is facing backwards, then ok....

I'm just saying, its possible that its just a naturally expired bear, who hadnt set into rigor mortis yet.

#2 Weird stuff happens... who's to say the bear wasnt spooked by something in the dead of the night, and ran full smack on into a tree. The force alone could break its own neck.

I've witnessed a spooked horse in a stall- rear up on its hind legs, lose balance, and come crashing down with its head/neck wedged against the wall. A loud popping/crunch noise was heard, and the horse lay there dead as a stone- without a mark on it. If myself and my step-dad hadnt been standing right there- it would have appeared as though the horse had been the subject of a very similar attack as this bear.....

I always like to try to rule out all the other possibilities, before I start assuming bigfoot must have done it...

That's just me though.....

Art

Guest ecthorpe

any other clues or strange happenings?

you may want to click on this link to kbhunters accounts from GA BFF thread

he had some strange things going on, found a deer in similar condition as your bear. has pics posted of several items as well as a journal type report,you may find it interesting.

Thank you for that link, that's the same way the bear was found.

Guest Forbig

Was there a road close by where it could of been hit by a vehicle and thrown to where it landed? If not IMO it could be a Squatch that didn't get to eat it yet. Maybe it was startled away because it thought someone seen it.

Admin

Does anybody have any idea what animal in Tennessee that has the power to do that.

Grizzly Adams?

Why does everything always happen in the 70's? :blink:

Because the 70's were the most happening decade of all time! Those of us who got to live it...know.... ;)

Guest Cervelo

How would anything sneak up on a black bear? Much less stinky ole Bigfoot. Why would Bigfoot or any predator go hummm let me take on this animal that's the same size as me and has a mouth full of big teeth and four claw covered paws? Strange yes! But this Bigfoot persecution has to stop biggie isn't to blame for everything that happens in the woods!!! We need laws in place for these kind of unfounded accusations and slander perhaps...... Oh yea first we have to prove they exist sorry my bad :)

Edited by Cervelo