Researcher's Views On Bigfoot

Guest para ape

Guest FuriousGeorge

Doesn't matter whether I can explain how water turns into ice or not. I can still make it & put it in my tea. It works as good for me as it does for some scientist who knows all about it.

What happens when someone else takes a sip of that same iced tea and claims that the ice has turned the tea it into molten lava. Do you accept their claim even though you think the ice only made your drink colder?

That has been VERY well established at this point. Why not set out to prove it? It will be cathartic and you can keep us up to date on your findings. One rule: finding reports doesn't count as "proof". Deal?

I'll help!

Is it just me? I fail to see what OCD has to do with this, and as far as I'm concerned, no matter what your motivation is it doesn't justify criminal abuse.

Guest HairyGreek

I know someone who suffers from OCD very well. They have impulses that they cannot control. It isn't just about straightening out the rug at 2AM. Compulsive, erratic, manic behavior is the norm for extreme cases. He sounds very much like a person suffering from OCD and Bipolarism. If you didn't notice, I wasn't looking to make a justification for his behavior, only point out he obviously had other issues as this is not normal behavior.

According to David J. Daegling's book Bigfoot Exposed: An Anthropologist Examines America's Enduring Legend, "Loren Coleman deserves credit for popularizing and in some sense legitimizing the paranormal angle in Bigfoot research, despite his recent conversion to naturalistic explanations." "His Fortean sympathies allow him to shuttle between the naturalistic and paranormal Bigfoot positions without concern for any type of paradigmatic consistency." (Both sentences on p.196).

Coleman himself attributes his dalliances with a paranormal Bigfoot to the influences of the radical 1960s: "sometime in the 1960s, we all woke up and the world had grown decidedly weirder." He, Jarome Clark, and John Keel "carried on a lively exchange of stories and ideas" that included Bigfoot, UFO's, hauntings, fairylore, etc. According to Coleman, "by the mid-1970's, Clark and I coauthored articles that merged our two fields of study, full of straight data as well as sociological and psychological assessments,including the now rejected Jungian hypothesis set forth in our Creatures of the Outer Edge." Coleman notes, "But today, having reclaimed the firmer zoological and anthropological foundations of hominology, I reject such notions, as does Clark." (Quotes from Loren Coleman's Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America,pages 170-172).

Coleman is very much Sanderson's protege. Like Coleman, Sanderson fell under the sway of the ideas of Charles Fort and had a definite leaning toward paranormal ideas, especially later in life. Unlike Coleman, Sanderson never moved Abominable Snowmen from the realm of zoology to the outer fringe of paranormalism. Ivan T. also believed Bigfoot was proto-human, not relic ape. He does not belong on a list of "Bigfoot is paranormal" researchers.

One should keep this in mind: Keel, Sanderson, Redfern were/are professional writers trying to make a living selling books and magazine articles. There are hints in their private papers that Sanderson and Keel went off the deep end with overt paranormalism due to the financial rewards of pandering to a growing audience buying paranormal entertainment.

Edited by jerrywayne

Thank you for answering my question Jerrywayne. So Lauren Coleman is definitely in that category.

It can only be one or the other and from all the weird things and experiences that I've read,it is definitely paranormal.

But how do you know that the reports that you have read are any more legitimate than the other non-paranormal bigfoot reports? I actually base my opinion on my own experiences rather the reports I've read. Any reports that mirror my own experiences seem more legitimate to me. Have you had any paranormal experiences at all or a bigfoot sighting?

I'm just proud that you are actually trying to discuss it, did you happen to look at your PM's?

Well, there was no need to drag your family into it, but I can see his side of things, too.

Believe it or not, I used to be a lot less abrasive, back in the good old days. :lol:

Goodness, Sasfooty. Am I misreading you? You can "see his [EB's] side of things" after Ray explained his horror movie scenario turned real-life experience concerning EB's behavior?

Surely, I'm misreading your intent.

Thank you for answering my question Jerrywayne. So Lauren Coleman is definitely in that category.

He once was, but he changed his mind. While he definitely has pro-paranormal ideas, he tries to keep such ideas separate from his cryptozoological research. So I would say no, he does not belong on a list of researchers who believe Bigfoot is paranormal.

Goodness, Sasfooty. Am I misreading you? You can "see his [EB's] side of things" after Ray explained his horror movie scenario turned real-life experience concerning EB's behavior?

Surely, I'm misreading your intent.

Yes, I guess you must be misreading.

What happens when someone else takes a sip of that same iced tea and claims that the ice has turned the tea it into molten lava. Do you accept their claim even though you think the ice only made your drink colder?

Is there supposed to be some connection to being able to make ice without knowing the scientific process involved, & arguing whether something is iced tea or molten lava, with someone who doesn't know the difference?

Surely you can come up with a better argument than that!

Edited by Sasfooty

Guest FuriousGeorge

Is there supposed to be some connection to being able to make ice without knowing the scientific process involved, & arguing whether something is iced tea or molten lava, with someone who doesn't know the difference?

Surely you can come up with a better argument than that!

I can?

I can understand dodging the question at this point. That's okay with me if you do. That in itself is the answer I was looking for.

It's a simple question based on your own hypothetical statement and yes your answer will probably lead to a follow up question or statement with a correlation to bf, if you are concerned about the connection. According to your statement, you and the "scientist that knows all about ice" are in agreement about effects of the ice. But someone else has a different opinion on the effects. Do you accept or reject their claim and why?

Guest HairyGreek

OCD? I'd have pegged EB as more of a sociopath.

He could have been that too Ray, technically speaking. Extreme OCD cases (especially when coupled with forms of depression) can show a high degree of sociopathic tendencies and behaviors. Again, this doesn't take away from the pain he caused your family. I will tell you even though I love the individual whom acts that way in my life, there are days I want to break their legs just for giggles (try living with one for years growing up). I think with the obvious stress he has caused people on the board I will refrain from playing Devil's Advocate for his position on a para-normal Bigfoot.