What Keeps You Interested In Sasquatch

Guest COGrizzly

Guest COGrizzly

Kind of curious. What exactly keeps someone coming back here to the BFF and being interested in SQ? (I tried looking, thought I saw a thread on this one time B4) I have recently thought what a huge waste of time, yet the thing that keeps me coming back to the BFF is...

1. the people. lots of good people on here still.

2. fun, curious topics...after weeding through the crap.

What about SQ in general? What keeps ya curious?

1. the reports and word of mouth reports no one on the web hears about.

2. just the wonder of mystery in general.

As my "belief" keeps fading, it is still the fact that seemingly sane people keep seeing these things.

Feel free to add any personal sightings...even if you've mentioned them a bazzilion times. Like my track sighting.

Guest RedRatSnake

I have always loved this kind of thing, you know monsters and UFO'S type stuff, I think we all need to have a Bigfoot running around in the woods of America, maybe it just might be the last real thing left in folk law that has not been explained, i think we as a country might just need a Bigfoot ~

Man i need to cut down on drinking ~

Tim :)

Guest Fanofsquatch

The unknown. I to am sick of the "How would you catch a bigfoot" posts but just the fact that there are people seeing this thing that nothing is known about is fascinating to me. Not 100% sure I want it to be proven but would love to gloat a lil to the wife who thinks I'm an idiot for even considering a myth to be real.

It all stated with the legend of Boggy creek for me and although any serious BF country is many hundreds of miles from me my son and I enjoy looking at tracks of local animals and "looking" for BF on every road trip. He wants to visit my sister in Oregon for some more realistic squatching and that is cool that he knows so much about it from reading this board. I have always been interested in the paranormal (had a ghost in our house as a child) but can't resist bigfoot.

Wow! Now that is a great question.

My initial interest started sitting at the knee of my grandfather and grand uncles as they told about occurrences in northern ca, Utah and Montanna. As I never heard them lie about anything I had to believe them. These were the sorts that would pick up a wallet and spend 3 months tracking down the owner and give them everything that was in it. Later on when I was in Boy Scouts I had a scout master that had his own encounters along the pacific crest trail. And I got to hear other occurrences from his friends that lived the mountain man existence. They did not tell newspapers or investigators they were just stories from their lives. As I could never catch them in a falsehood. I began to believe....then I had my own encounter. Now I am die hard.

Kind of curious. What exactly keeps someone coming back here to the BFF and being interested in SQ? (I tried looking, thought I saw a thread on this one time B4) I have recently thought what a huge waste of time, yet the thing that keeps me coming back to the BFF is...

1. the people. lots of good people on here still.

2. fun, curious topics...after weeding through the crap.

What about SQ in general? What keeps ya curious?

1. the reports and word of mouth reports no one on the web hears about.

2. just the wonder of mystery in general.

As my "belief" keeps fading, it is still the fact that seemingly sane people keep seeing these things.

Feel free to add any personal sightings...even if you've mentioned them a bazzilion times. Like my track sighting.

Great question, COGrizzly. I consider bigfoot the second most likely cryptid animal candidate. I find the cadborosaurus a possibly more likely creature, a large sea serpent creature. The ocean is a big, largely unventured place. I'm intrigued at the possibility bigfoot exists. There are many credible accounts among the incredible.

As a ten or twelve year old, I saw a bird far larger than I can explain. I don't simply accept anything stated here, if stories are told some I find more believable than others. I appreciate all reports but some I take with a grain of salt. On a rare occasion, a report has the ring of truth. The old definition of tough to describe, but you'll know it when you hear it. What I saw was fantastic, but I can't explain its existence. I guess there was a condor in eastern Nebraska in the mid Sixties.

My tale existed on the old forum, don't know if it's been told here. Anyway, what nails things for me are the eyewitness encounters. Not just any tale, but first-person experiences from medical workers and civil employees. Who am I to tell literally hundreds of eye witnesses they're wrong?

Oh, there's that film captured by one Patterson fella.

Almost every bigfooter I know including myself enjoys all the evidence even if it might not be real. Our thoughts of a counterfactual alternative to reality are based on the same cognitive processes that rational thoughts are based on. It's a kind of simulation of a creature we run in our mind that otherwise we would never know. Many people enjoy reading fiction but Bigfoot has a plausible, realistic, slight possibility of being real even if it’s never proven and that keeps it interesting. Someday Bigfoot just might suprise everyone.

As a ten or twelve year old, I saw a bird far larger than I can explain. I don't simply accept anything stated here, if stories are told some I find more believable than others. I appreciate all reports but some I take with a grain of salt. On a rare occasion, a report has the ring of truth. The old definition of tough to describe, but you'll know it when you hear it. What I saw was fantastic, but I can't explain its existence. I guess there was a condor in eastern Nebraska in the mid Sixties.

My tale existed on the old forum, don't know if it's been told here. Anyway, what nails things for me are the eyewitness encounters. Not just any tale, but first-person experiences from medical workers and civil employees. Who am I to tell literally hundreds of eye witnesses they're wrong?

Oh, there's that film captured by one Patterson fella.

I1, I for one would love to hear your tale. Perhaps you could post it in the General Crypto or Campfire Chat forums?

See

Guest HairyGreek

I am going to base my decision to stay or go from this sort of topic largely based on if all the rumored projects come through this year. If on December 31st, 2011 there is still nothing, I will hang around the campfire section to keep up with friends and be done with this whole idea of Sasquatch I think. If something comes of it later and the creature is proved to exist, so be it. When that happens, the topics I am interested in will be long gone anyways. Besides...the world ends next year anyways. ;)

Back to vacation now. Thanks for the interesting topic.

I keep coming back to enjoy See-Te-Cah NC's killer avatar.

http://stevequayle.com/Giants/index2.html

Edited by HairyGreek

What keeps me interested in Sasquatch?

I would say it is the masochist in me. I like to search for things that may not exist. Bigfoot and an honest politician are among my favorites. Although I have to admit, I may find Bigfoot sooner out of the two. Plus the added bonus that when I go in the field, it is a bit of self justification for doing a bit of camping. Who doesn't like camping?

In all seriousness, I have had my bouts with doubting the existence of BF. Personally, I believe in the possibility of BF to exist, but would like the proof positive. That's what keeps me looking when I can. I keep coming here, and other related sites, hoping someone has found evidence of the big guy. Either no one is finding anything that is new or compelling, or they are just not offering it to the general public anymore. I can see why they may choose not to, considering treatment in the past of some who have. Not that hammering someone over a sighting report, a video, or a picture is out of line taking in to account how many hoaxes there are annually. Civility on both sides can go a long way to finding the truth of the matter. My interest may wane and ebb from time to time, but it will never depart all together. There are just too many things to be discovered to just sit and do nothing, even if it is just searching on the net for clues here and there.

A few thing come together for me nicely in my sustained interest in BF. #1 would be a deep and lifelong interest in prehistoric humans and life during the pleistocene. As a youngster I was lucky to be taken regularly to Chicago's Field Museum where I'd inevitably find myself drawn into the dioramas portraying life back then, and the more naturalistic theories regarding BF suggests to me that a fragment of that world still lingers in a refugia of sorts. Secondly I have as an adult developed a keen awareness of the sheer physical nature of the wild word and our human misperceptions of it where we modern humans think that we have so fully examined and explored it and that can know so much about it as to preclude the unknown to that degree, especially an unknown that is actively striving to stay out of reach. Thirdly the phenomenology of human perceptions, in which I speculatively place the intelligence of a relic population of archaic humans or pre-humans as well as our own. I could go on..oh, and I've spoken with someone who's encountered one and whose veracity I find very trustworthy, while I never have despite my having lived in wildernesses that supposedly harbor these beings/creatures. All in all, It's a kind of voyeurism in which what we call evidence, is like a keyhole into a region that I find fascinating. It's not the only area I find fascinating, but it's one of the most tantalizing and most compelling. Cheers

• masterbarber locked this topic