Why Is Bf So Hard To Find And Document?

georgerm

We have many great outdoors explorers, yet BF seems to illude the best of the best. What is the big problem with finding this animal, getting good video, and even capture? The animal must have helpless babies and a nest that is vunerable to human detection. We climb cliffs, trudge up steep mountains, and crawl through rocky caves, yet noone stumbles on a BF den with helpless young and some toddlers. Why? We humans are CAN DO types, yet this animal seems to out smart us year after year. How could this animal be so rare and maintain a population? Are we chasing shaddows or is it out there?

Guest HairyGreek

The General claims to have done this very thing. I suppose we will see how much of this tale is true. The question is when. When it comes to Bigfoot, "when" is always "coming soon" but never arriving.

• Upvote 1

They train those kids from an early age to hush up and hide quick.

THey don't leave them where you or a cougar can find them.

Little ones can hide in burrows or smallish tunnels.

Guest COGrizzly

Best explained by, I believe, DDA recently on another thread about a dude who hid in the woods of NW Wash for 10 years. Even went to town from time to time. Big kicker was his "home base" was not far at all from a designated trail.

The whole idea coincides with the fact that there is SO MUCH land / wilderness out there. And I have even "hidden" off trail maybe 15 feet away for a half day with people walkin past and me making strange noises. They never had a clue where I was. Yes, I am a bit weird!!

We have many great outdoors explorers, yet BF seems to illude the best of the best. What is the big problem with finding this animal, getting good video, and even capture? The animal must have helpless babies and a nest that is vunerable to human detection. We climb cliffs, trudge up steep mountains, and crawl through rocky caves, yet noone stumbles on a BF den with helpless young and some toddlers. Why? We humans are CAN DO types, yet this animal seems to out smart us year after year. How could this animal be so rare and maintain a population? Are we chasing shaddows or is it out there?

I will point out again what I always point out when this type of question gets asked:

1) wildlife are not as easy to film as National Geographic or Marty Stauffer would have you believe. It takes systematic, concentrated effort, and even then it can take years. It took over 2 decades of dedicated work to document the giant squid in the wild. It took many years to likewise document the Cloud Leopard.

2) the amount of potential encounter space is vast, and the area of observation of any given expedition or film crew is infinitesimal by comparison.

Admin

But Mulder, people have been at the BF game for 50+ years and still nothing.

All it takes is a ride over a wilderness area in a helicopter to truly appreciate what a difficult task it would be to find something that is probably one of the smartest creatures on earth(speculation, of course:) that doesn't want to be found. It wouldn't be hard at all to remain undetected by humans. We are one of the most unequipped species that roams the forests. We are slow, our hearing/eyesight isn't that good, our sense of smell is weak, and we generally always stick to roads, or trails, and rarely go off the beaten path.

Think about it from their perspective. They only know what

they see from us....We have habits, the same as every other animal in the forests, and I'd imagine they've adopted their niche based on what we generally don't, or won't do. They probably stay on side hills, above valleys, or rivers, where they can observe anything moving below, where they can move up, or down at will, if we were to actually climb,

or descend them, which we would hardly ever do unless a trail was cut through. If they were above an inaccessible

waterway, they could drop into the creek/river/valley, after observing no threats, and move up, or down in elevation with relative ease, and leave virtually no trace of them ever being there. It's just not in our nature to tread in areas that would be tough to climb, descend, or navigate. If BF were patient, and lived a calculated lifestyle, we would never see them, except for in rare cases of extreme happenstance, or if we deceive them.

Think about this. If you were to take 20 members of Seal Team 6, and break them up in 5 groups of 4, in a wilderness area of 1,000,000+ acres, and told them that if they remained undetected by anyone for a couple months, that they would receive a million bucks each, and then offer John Q. Public the same to find them, but only allowed a couple hundred people a day to look, do you think they'd ever find them? I seriously doubt it. What tactics would they implore to remain hidden? They would probably be similar to Squatches, IMO. They'd also have all their gear, with nightvision, etc, but have to hunt their food, and gather water.

Guest wild eyed willy

You make it sound easy, We are all counting on you to show us how it's done.

Let us know when you got one of those helpless toddlers.

All it takes is a ride over a wilderness area in a helicopter to truly appreciate what a difficult task it would be to find something that is probably one of the smartest creatures on earth(speculation, of course:) that doesn't want to be found. It wouldn't be hard at all to remain undetected by humans. We are one of the most unequipped species that roams the forests. We are slow, our hearing/eyesight isn't that good, our sense of smell is weak, and we generally always stick to roads, or trails, and rarely go off the beaten path.

they see from us....We have habits, the same as every other animal in the forests, and I'd imagine they've adopted their niche based on what we generally don't, or won't do. They probably stay on side hills, above valleys, or rivers, where they can observe anything moving below, where they can move up, or down at will, if we were to actually climb,

or descend them, which we would hardly ever do unless a trail was cut through. If they were above an inaccessible

waterway, they could drop into the creek/river/valley, after observing no threats, and move up, or down in elevation with relative ease, and leave virtually no trace of them ever being there. It's just not in our nature to tread in areas that would be tough to climb, descend, or navigate. If BF were patient, and lived a calculated lifestyle, we would never see them, except for in rare cases of extreme happenstance, or if we deceive them.

Think about this. If you were to take 20 members of Seal Team 6, and break them up in 5 groups of 4, in a wilderness area of 1,000,000+ acres, and told them that if they remained undetected by anyone for a couple months, that they would receive a million bucks each, and then offer John Q. Public the same to find them, but only allowed a couple hundred people a day to look, do you think they'd ever find them? I seriously doubt it. What tactics would they implore to remain hidden? They would probably be similar to Squatches, IMO. They'd also have all their gear, with nightvision, etc, but have to hunt their food, and gather water.

Good post, food for thought

BFF Patron

BF are the masters of illusion but are pretty dang good and elusion and evasion as well. Camouflage and possibly a modicum of using the known against the ill-prepared has something to do with it.

Guest RedRatSnake

I bet the little Bigfoot Children could not stay away from the colorful and nice old child catcher, all it would take to lure them out would be a few minutes of his charm

Come along, kiddie-winkies- tiny squatches

Here we are little forest children, Come and get your lollipops, Come along my little ones.

There all free today, Cherry pies, Cream puffs, Ice Cream, Treacle Tarts, Apple bits, Bacon pieces, Fresh salted fish in a barrel, Deer livers and wild berries ~

MV5BODI0MTY5MTExNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE0NjEzNA@@._V1._SY314_CR97,0,214,314_.jpg

Well you have made your points well.

The most vuneralbe BFs are the old and the mothers with young. Do the old pick the most rugged areas to die? If not we would have found one by now.

Do female BFs have a baby each spring like bears or deer? If so, young BFs probably need to stay with mom for 5 or 6 years as a wild guess. So now we have mom BF with 5 kids so why can't we stumble on them? They must pick rugged hillsides that they know humans can't access, so maybe we need to study the topography and target logical areas that BFs chooses for its dens. Prior to researching areas, do we need to use google earth terrain to target areas to hike into? Maybe we need to be smarter so we hike into areas that are the most inaccessible to humans. Study an area, pick out several spots and hike in even if it takes ropes and mountain climbing gear. Plan the hike so escape routes are covered. With smarter searching, BF will turn up.

Maybe BFs dig underground dens with tiny access holes that we dont' stumble onto as another theory.

You make it sound easy, We are all counting on you to show us how it's done.

Let us know when you got one of those helpless toddlers.

Come on Willy eat some more carrots, and come up with some theories on how we can be smarter when it comes to finding BF!

SSR Team

I'll bang the same Drum again & say that we massivley underestimate their capabilites in their own Environment..

It seems we evolved to be able to build Skyscrapers, go to the Moon & make Nucleaur Weapons, & they evolved by just mastering disguise, their stealth, their ability to remain concealed & their ability to be in COMPLETE control in their own Environment..

I can't really make it any simpler than that if i tried harder..

Are we chasing shaddows or is it out there?

I'm hoping for the latter, but leaning towards the former.

HairyGreek: Claiming something is one thing, proving it is quite another.

THey don't leave them where you or a cougar can find them.

Excuses don't make bigfoot real.

COGrizzly: Your 'one man hiding in the woods' analogy is false if we are to believe there is a breeding population of THOUSANDS of bigfoot roaming the woods of North America.

Mulder: Yet we DO have film of those rare beasties, and have identified and classified them. Bigfoot not so much.

PacNWSquatcher: You might be on to something with your bounty idea. Seems kinda strange that with all the hunters, trappers, mappers, trackers, packers, lumberjacks, road-builders, surveyors, foresters, explorers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, zoologists, biologists, geologists, anthropologists, archaeologists, entomologists, botanists, herpetologists, ornithologists, lepidopterists, ichthyologists, limnologists, mineralogists, adventurists, activists, arborists, and arsonists on the loose in North America, we turn to the apologists for the lack of a discovered bigfoot.

BobbyO: Complete control in their own environment? Apparently one only needs to pack a camera to shred that notion to bits.

RayG

Admin

... come up with some theories on how we can be smarter when it comes to finding BF!

I think we need to start by listing what has already been tried and failed or determined to be unfeasible, that way nobody wastes time. I had a thread about that on the old BFF, but it turned into a flame war between researchers.

• masterbarber locked this topic