New Method To Experience Bf...

Guest TooRisky

though I love rush, they seem to get a little over the top for what I am doing...But I am far from any expert and came across this very accidentally... I would hope others may follow this advice and experiment on their own... The cost is very low if any at all, ya just have to do it and be comfortable doing it... there seems to be no down side and yes luck is going to be part of the equation, but in its self even without any encounters is a very cool experience...

TR, You might try a little Kenny Wayne Shepherd " Blue on Black" from the album "Trouble is" I think you might appreciate the lyrics. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9Gi2B47gk&feature=grec_index

2Risky,

Try some Grateful Dead music, the live stuff of course. More important than the musical choice though, is where your mental state is while the tunes are flowin'..............biggie is all about tuning in to your vibe!

post-754-009010100 1317171547_thumb.jpg

It might also be fun to try some very simple music, like Gregorian chant and such. Thinking of anything unusual, but not aggressive. Native, aboriginal type sounds. Maybe even humpback whale songs. I'm thinking that the organic and repetitive sound may be interesting to them. If I didn't live in Africa, I'd give it a try.

17x7

I have been trying a new concept idea that seems to work to a certain point… I am now full time in the woods boondocking and trying to figure out how this species thinks and acts… What I am doing in just setting up my van dwelling camp, no fire, very low light, no cameras, no microphones, no IR nothing but a small CD player with speakers playing the melodic music of Pink Floyd but not blasting it… The week long experiment brought in 2 nights back to back of close encounters meaning that I could never see them I could defiantly smell them… a note on the smell is that I am now pretty sure I am smelling carrion (sp) in which would mean they roll in their kills like so many other predator’s… The smell is layered with a very musky scent and what appears to smell like wet dog/urine… They seemed to stay till I decided to go to bed and do not think they ever came into camp; nothing was disturbed, and nothing missing and no prints… So maybe it is too simple to get them to give a little attention, heck the price is right as nothing really is needed less than a cheap CD player and cheap speakers… just chill out, pay them no attention, forget the pictures and video, just experience the experience…

TooRisky

PS: This is for yourself, no groups, and no there wont be any pictures or video... Do you wanna experience BF or prove the species exists...? Ya first have to be comfortable by yourself in the woods camping alone, then ween off the fire and become friends with the dark, then the experience will happen if they are about...

You have to be fearless to do this. I have been using the same method that you described. The problem is, I can't adapt to the idea of BF walking around my SUV during the night. The last time I did this, I woke with every noise. I now have a tent trailer, and will try this out, but it doesn't offer much protection either. However, my buddy and I might feel safe unlike going solo. Another fellow I know camps out in his pickup canopy and he told me of BFs coming around. He left smoked salmon on the roof. They really liked it. Your method is a good way to go. I'll try to find a report of a fellow who had car trouble, slept in the car, and two BFs began to push on his car. They hung around until day light. This would freak me out, so I may not be cut out for BF encounters while camped in my rig.

Guest TooRisky

TR, I meant to ask you last night, why do preditors roll in thier kill? For an animal who depends on thier sences for food, why would they add more strong smell to the area? Wouldn't this inhibit thier ability to smell more pray? wouldn't this offer thier pray the ability to smell then comming?

Is there some reason for this action?

most if not all ambush preditors roll in their latest kill or carrion they find to hide thier own scent from the prey... The prey have smelled carrion and it is not a threat to them... So when when a preditor rolls and scents it self with carrion they are hiding their scent which the prey probably know... So when Biggie is on the hunt for meat, they scent up for the ambush upping there percentage of kill to miss ratio... This happens with a lot of mammal predators to include human hunters...

Guest TooRisky

You have to be fearless to do this. I have been using the same method that you described. The problem is, I can't adapt to the idea of BF walking around my SUV during the night. The last time I did this, I woke with every noise. I now have a tent trailer, and will try this out, but it doesn't offer much protection either. However, my buddy and I might feel safe unlike going solo. Another fellow I know camps out in his pickup canopy and he told me of BFs coming around. He left smoked salmon on the roof. They really liked it. Your method is a good way to go. I'll try to find a report of a fellow who had car trouble, slept in the car, and two BFs began to push on his car. They hung around until day light. This would freak me out, so I may not be cut out for BF encounters while camped in my rig.

I have been in the woods camping by my self for jeez 40 years now... never have I had a bad experience with any BF... Now Bears, Cougars and tough big Raccoons are another story... I firmly believe I will never be harmed by any BF in the PNW, now else where they seem a bit cranky and this is what i aim to find out with the winter trip to the SW where these so called monster dwell... I also wanna say I am well armed with a .44 mag, bear spray, and air horn, if that don't do the trick well then I am wrong about biggie and read about me in the tabloids... I honestly feel your biggest enemy is a over active mind, becoming friends with the dark is alien to us humans you have to work at it to get to a point where no matter where you are at you can be comfortable and get some sleep...

In honor of Rush getting screwed by the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of fame, you should play their "Moving Pictures" album for BF. Tom Sawyer should get the big guy moving.

Every artist knows the Hall of Fame is a joke, AC/DC called it the hall of shame when they where inducted. RUSH is above all that tripe, the Temple of Syrinx awaits!!

Uh remember Sasquatch ain't the only predator in the woods......bears will open a vehicle like a sardine can and where does that leave your friend ?

I have been in the woods camping by my self for jeez 40 years now... never have I had a bad experience with any BF... Now Bears, Cougars and tough big Raccoons are another story... I firmly believe I will never be harmed by any BF in the PNW, now else where they seem a bit cranky and this is what i aim to find out with the winter trip to the SW where these so called monster dwell... I also wanna say I am well armed with a .44 mag, bear spray, and air horn, if that don't do the trick well then I am wrong about biggie and read about me in the tabloids... I honestly feel your biggest enemy is a over active mind, becoming friends with the dark is alien to us humans you have to work at it to get to a point where no matter where you are at you can be comfortable and get some sleep...

The Marine's forced cold camping on me without a choice in the matter due to light discipline requirements, it was hard going solo for a long time. I had the advantage of NVG, but losing depth perception is almost as bad as not seeing at all imo. I have attempted it here in the Big Thicket many times, but I rarely sleep during the night when I do. I may doze here and there but generally will sleep during the day. I just find a good place to hunker down and listen and watch as best as I can. Full Moons are great, but like you said you have to let your mind get over the games it tries to play with you in seeing what might not be there, and not seeing what is, it's insidious at times for me. By all accounts the Sasquatch do seem to be pushier down here than up north. My personal belief is that they have to be more aggressive and work harder due to the thickness of the undergrowth. Visibility is very limited, air doesn't move as much, there is no real high-ground or cave systems. My research area is Little Lake Creek Wilderness and Lake Creek Bottom, my home backs up to the Sam Houston National Forest. Very diverse inasmuch as pine forest, creek bottoms and marshes can be, and it can be very oppressive, especially in the heat. Many times during hiking you have little choices but to use game trails, or hiking trails, so much is just impenetrable for us giving them even greater advantages. But game is plentiful and the vegetation lush for most of the year. Like most primitive areas it will allow you to be confident, but never complacent lol. Keep up the good work !

Guest wild eyed willy

Thanks 2R I never thought of that. It does make sence to do what one can to stack the deck in your favor even if you are a preditor. Hey things with pointy teeth got to eat too.

Edited by wild eyed willy

The rolling in carrion so you don't smell like a dog, but like roadkill, makes sense. On the other hand, I read once a psychologist opined that because dogs have such a superior sense of smell they like anything smelly and like really smelly stuff so much they roll in it from pure delight. I sort of like that idea.

Love the thought of some Floyd bring out the Squatches....

How about some Christopher of the Wolves? Definitely some wild Digi, drum beats, aboriginal type music.

Uh remember Sasquatch ain't the only predator in the woods......bears will open a vehicle like a sardine can and where does that leave your friend ?

I usually camp with a 270 or my 12 gauge and bears have never been a problem, but there is always the chance. For some reason bears don't scare me but the thought of a BF messing around my camp seems too spooky. Bears have caused more problems with campers than BF since BFs just seems to sniff around. My SUV has windows all around, and the thought of a BF looking in would really be a shock even if my 12 gauge was at my side. I wouldn't shoot it unless it began breaking windows. Just having it outside would really take some getting used to. Maybe after a few times with BF outside and no aggression, then the situation might become normal.

Edited by georgerm