If Camped And Bf Threatens..........

georgerm

I don't think firearms are a deal breaker if they are being used responsibly and not openly brandished for no apparent reason.

I don't think so either. I camp in cougar country and have those firearms with me for that specific reason. I'm more afraid of the cougars than bigfoot, that's for sure. I think most responsible campers in these remote areas will have firearms for these kind of reasons. I was a long time holdout for taking weapons camping, but dang......I have NEVER been afraid of bears here. But cougars.....

I guess intent matters.

Guest uprightchimp

to all you people out there, listen up................ DON'T TAKE ANY PETS (DOGS OFCOURSE) WHEN YOUR OUT IN A BIGFOOT'S TERRITORY, LEAVE THEM HOME!! :huh: it is the sensible thing to do if you are getting the idea about how BFs respond to owner's dogs in this (& other forums & info sites about BF) how hard can it REALLY be to leave them with someone to care for them, so they will live to see another day-any of this so-called "if they mess with my pet they are dead" type of stuff, I mean come on guys-dont be trying to kill (or injure) one then make it REALLY angry!! than does NOT make any sense @ all. just the way I feel about it, thats all.

Here is a very interesting report. No dog involved, but a firearm was used. http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_report.asp?id=15821

I've always liked that report/story. It has some interesting elements to it. Intricate details like 'the whole flashlight lit up so it was hard to see' makes it seem more believable to me. I just wish the investigator didn't contradict himself by saying that the witness was a sniper, so he is an expert on judging distances, then the next paragraph stated that he was completely wrong about the distances:) Good story though!

SSR Team

Sketch of purported creature-

post-1029-070271600 1317189950_thumb.jpg

It can't be, it is, my Mother In Law ?? :D

Sounds like the size dogs I need to guard my place. Someone stole all my deer stands from my shed at the place we just moved from (still moving a few things), and I am determined not to let that kind of stuff happen here!

Sorry to hear that. I despise thieves.

I had several break-ins until I got a Newfoundland then there were no more break-ins in the 12yrs I had him. I got a Mastiff after that and I didn't have any trouble in 11yrs with him either, and there were break-ins at my neighbors homes on both sides of me during those times. I took them with me when I drove places and left the windows down when the car was parked and I never had anything stolen even though items were in reach. Having a huge dog deters a lot of thieves, and when you have one that is naturally on guard with people instead of being friendly with everyone then it really deters them. ;)

Guest Plowjocky

If you want an encounter :

1 ) Don't bring a Dog

2 ) Don't bring a Gun

3 ) I'd say don't bring a Camera too judging by the past zillion Years & the lack of Pictures we have of them as i can only conclude that they act as a deterrent for whatever reason & however possible i don't know, but they must do

4 ) Leave out Food & Gifts, why not ??, 5 ) Don't shoot one, why on Earth would anyone want to do that anyway apart from sheer & utter selfishness & $$, in which both cases are morally wrong

5 ) You can forget the chance of a lifetime if you go out to try & get the Pictures of a lifetime because they're not coming any time soon, these things are WAY ahead of us in certain aspects & we just can not accept that or understand that currently & lastly........

6 ) You can do all of the above & it would guarantee you nothing so........

7 ) Hope for a bit of luck whilst doing all of the above too & you might, just might, be a very, very lucky Human Being..;)

Dont bring a gun???To the wilderness?Aint that like begging to be prey instead of predator.JMO

I've always liked that report/story. It has some interesting elements to it. Intricate details like 'the whole flashlight lit up so it was hard to see' makes it seem more believable to me. I just wish the investigator didn't contradict himself by saying that the witness was a sniper, so he is an expert on judging distances, then the next paragraph stated that he was completely wrong about the distances:) Good story though!

That is one of my top stories as well. Partly because shortly after that report came out, it was being debated here on the old BFF, and the witness came on an answered all questions, logically defended his sighting, posted photos of the campsite and area, and convinced me that the event actually happened.

Edited by Sasquatch

Guest BFSleuth

I've spent thousands of hours in wilderness areas in North America, all without a gun and without a dog.

It really is confounding to me that people feel a need to have a gun in the wilderness as a "must have" item. I'll allow for the fact that bears or cougars can attack me, but some basic concepts like awareness, putting food in a safe place, etc. really trump that. I suspect that many folks that have this need for a gun are watching way too many horrible bear attack promotional scare shows on TV.

Regarding dogs, I don't like being around dogs in the wilderness and on recent hikes on some popular trails it seems like every other party has dogs with them... from chihuahuas to great danes. I respect the relationship between dogs and their owners, but really, you have to bring your dog to a wilderness?

Regarding dogs and bigfoot, it seems that the great majority of interaction between BF and dogs end very badly for the dogs, or the dogs cower and refuse to go out. Someone earlier noted that the famous 911 call had had his dog killed. Yes, he noted that he was walking his fence line with his dog, his dog ran into the bush and moments later yelped and FLEW out of the bush over his head, dead before impact.

Methinks if you want to have a peaceful interaction with BF leave the dogs at home. If you want to encourage aggressive behavior, then by all means bring your dogs and guns.... and ignore obvious threat behavior...

Guest krakatoa

I've spent thousands of hours in wilderness areas in North America, all without a gun and without a dog.

It really is confounding to me that people feel a need to have a gun in the wilderness as a "must have" item. I'll allow for the fact that bears or cougars can attack me, but some basic concepts like awareness, putting food in a safe place, etc. really trump that. I suspect that many folks that have this need for a gun are watching way too many horrible bear attack promotional scare shows on TV.

Regarding dogs, I don't like being around dogs in the wilderness and on recent hikes on some popular trails it seems like every other party has dogs with them... from chihuahuas to great danes. I respect the relationship between dogs and their owners, but really, you have to bring your dog to a wilderness?

You choose not to prepare for the worst. Fair enough, it is your prerogative. I hope you never are hunted by a bear or a cougar, or even a homicidal maniac wandering the trails. No amount of awareness or food storage trumps that.

I and many others will continue to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

And while I appreciate you don't like hiking or camping with a dog, I enjoy this tremendously, and hope that you can appreciate that.

Because I have means of self-defense in my home, and campsite, many others are deemed a degree of safety simply because human predators have to consider the possibility they'll tangle with another of my ilk.