If Camped And Bf Threatens..........

georgerm

Guest BFSleuth

You choose not to prepare for the worst. Fair enough, it is your prerogative. I hope you never are hunted by a bear or a cougar, or even a homicidal maniac wandering the trails. No amount of awareness or food storage trumps that.

I and many others will continue to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

And while I appreciate you don't like hiking or camping with a dog, I enjoy this tremendously, and hope that you can appreciate that.

Pepper spray is a great nonlethal form of protection.

I certainly enjoy dogs, they can be great companions. However, I go to the wilderness for peace and quiet. Recently it seems like everyone is out to make a Dogs Gone Wild video or something, packs of dogs dashing about and raising a ruckus in a pristine meadow aren't my idea of having a wilderness experience, not to mention all the overheated and bloody footed dogs on hot, rocky trails. It borders on cruel and places them in danger.

It would be a little different with some dogs, that actually have a spark of intelligence and can handle themselves. But I see such a menagerie of dogs that are unfit for wilderness treks being hauled into the woods, it leaves me wondering whether the owners are simply setting up a bait station for predators.

There was a TV show recently that talked about a little girl that barely survived a cougar attack in BC. She was wearing a life vest and taking a trail down to a swimming hole, the life vest saved her. The cougar had been attracted to and was stalking a puppy dog that was cavorting all over the place at the swimming hole.

Dogs do make good bait stations I guess.

Guest parnassus

...Mr. Moose I will be back with a 12 gauge filled with 00 buck.

Illegal in Maine and probably elsewhere because it is inadequate to reliably produce a recoverable kill.

There's this ol' sayin' my grandpappy used to tell me when I was startin' to enter manhood:

"Guns and condoms are very similar in one respect. I'd rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have one."

Of course, I hope that a BF wouldn't get the wrong idea if I accidentally pulled out a condom. Another thread, perhaps?

If camping and threatened by a BF, the following would probably occur:

- Undies would be soiled

- A large handgun would be brandished... to be used only for self-defence

- An immediate trip to a vehicle for an immediate exit from the scene

This assumes a display that violence was imminent.

Illegal in Maine and probably elsewhere because it is inadequate to reliably produce a recoverable kill.

I can understand that buckshot may not be enough for a moose unless it is close (hence the name "BUCK" shot), but I assure you that it is more than adequate to produce a recoverable kill on average-sized game. I know that up North and in the Midwest shotguns are restricted to slugs, but in the South we have always used shotguns with buckshot for deer, hogs, and bear with no problems at all. I did not own a centerfire rifle until I bought one while in the Navy in the late 80's. Here in Mississippi, in the delta region, deer are taken routinely that go over 300 lbs, and that is larger than average for anywhere in the country.

Guest parnassus

I can understand that buckshot may not be enough for a moose unless it is close (hence the name "BUCK" shot), but I assure you that it is more than adequate to produce a recoverable kill on average-sized game. I know that up North and in the Midwest shotguns are restricted to slugs, but in the South we have always used shotguns with buckshot for deer, hogs, and bear with no problems at all. I did not own a centerfire rifle until I bought one while in the Navy in the late 80's. Here in Mississippi, in the delta region, deer are taken routinely that go over 300 lbs, and that is larger than average for anywhere in the country.

Good for you and your deer and the law.

Guest HairyGreek

There's this ol' sayin' my grandpappy used to tell me when I was startin' to enter manhood:

"Guns and condoms are very similar in one respect. I'd rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have one."

Of course, I hope that a BF wouldn't get the wrong idea if I accidentally pulled out a condom. Another thread, perhaps?

ROFL...thanks See, for the collapsed lung I got laughing at that... :lol:

Parn, stop being such a spoil-sport about everything. Live a little. :blob:

Because I have means of self-defense in my home, and campsite, many others are deemed a degree of safety simply because human predators have to consider the possibility they'll tangle with another of my ilk.

Yes

I've spent thousands of hours in wilderness areas in North America, all without a gun and without a dog.

It really is confounding to me that people feel a need to have a gun in the wilderness as a "must have" item. I'll allow for the fact that bears or cougars can attack me, but some basic concepts like awareness, putting food in a safe place, etc. really trump that. I suspect that many folks that have this need for a gun are watching way too many horrible bear attack promotional scare shows on TV.

Regarding dogs, I don't like being around dogs in the wilderness and on recent hikes on some popular trails it seems like every other party has dogs with them... from chihuahuas to great danes. I respect the relationship between dogs and their owners, but really, you have to bring your dog to a wilderness?

Regarding dogs and bigfoot, it seems that the great majority of interaction between BF and dogs end very badly for the dogs, or the dogs cower and refuse to go out. Someone earlier noted that the famous 911 call had had his dog killed. Yes, he noted that he was walking his fence line with his dog, his dog ran into the bush and moments later yelped and FLEW out of the bush over his head, dead before impact.

Methinks if you want to have a peaceful interaction with BF leave the dogs at home. If you want to encourage aggressive behavior, then by all means bring your dogs and guns.... and ignore obvious threat behavior...

------Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it, wise words.......if old Ned Beatty didn't make out of the woods "unspoiled"........I'm just sayin"

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest Kronprinz Adam

I wonder if the early screams weren't so much a mating cry or an attempt to communicate with other Sasquatch, as it was a warning telling the people it wanted them to leave. Each night it got closer, and closer and then finally it left them a message with the dog bones that left no ambiguity as to what it wanted.

This speaks to the intelligence of the Sasquatch. It didn't necessarily want to hurt the people, or it would have just done so, but it wanted to scare them away, and what better way to do that than to kill their family pet and then return some bones as a message to get out.

I also think this Sasquatch was protecting his territory..but it is sad that the dog had a fatal encounter!!!

Guest Kronprinz Adam

Interesting how they seem to vary in how they relate with dogs. Some either don't like them and toss them away when they approach, some seem to want to kill them out of anger or for food, yet others have been reported walking with them in a pack.

The woods command respect with or without bf. I have always had huge dogs over 200lbs and personally I would not take them in the woods with me no matter how huge and fierce they were. Maybe only if I had a large pack of them that I had complete control over as pack leader where they could defend both me and themselves together in a pack but even then some could still get injured or killed.

Hi Biggie!! I also remember to have read a strange report about some person that saw a Bigfoot walking together with a dog pack at night!! From the reports I have read, I can think that Bigfoot simply does not like dogs, specially if they are loud or aggresive...but I think some small dogs will be also taken as food...what it this Sasquatch on the report found some dog puppies and simply adopted them?

Guest Kronprinz Adam

Interesting how they seem to vary in how they relate with dogs. Some either don't like them and toss them away when they approach, some seem to want to kill them out of anger or for food, yet others have been reported walking with them in a pack.

The woods command respect with or without bf. I have always had huge dogs over 200lbs and personally I would not take them in the woods with me no matter how huge and fierce they were. Maybe only if I had a large pack of them that I had complete control over as pack leader where they could defend both me and themselves together in a pack but even then some could still get injured or killed.

Hi Biggie!! I also remember to have read a strange report about some person that saw a Bigfoot walking together with a dog pack at night!! From the reports I have read, I can think that Bigfoot simply does not like dogs, specially if they are loud or aggresive...but I think some small dogs will be also taken as food...what it this Sasquatch on the report found some dog puppies and simply adopted them?

Good for you and your deer and the law.

What a grouch. Perhaps you should search for another topic if you can't take not being right about what you posted in this one.

I'd rather have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

Yep. You can go in the woods a thousand times with a gun and be fine but it only takes once without a gun to be dead. Better safe than sorry, but hey it's only your life and the lives of any others with you.

multi post

multi post

multi post

multi post

Kill em all! Let God sort em out!

Looks like you broke Incorrigible1's record for duplicate posts Ace. Maybe this site will get lined out soon.