Your Thoughts On How Bf Stays Warm In The North

Guest Kat

Admin

I see shelters and they probably used fire... from the article you reference:

-------

The Yahgan did not wear clothes until their contact with Europeans.[citation needed] They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

1) They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. In fact, the name of "Tierra del Fuego" (land of fire) is a name given to the island cluster by passing European explorers who witnessed these fires burning.

------

I'm pretty sure nobody is claiming BF uses fire...

Edited by gigantor

Guest Kerchak

If people had no clue that the woolly mammoth actually existed in frozen sub zero temperatures then the very idea of an elephant type existing away from warm climate areas would be laughable.

Animals can and do adapt.

I see shelters and they probably used fire... from the article you reference:

-------

The Yahgan did not wear clothes until their contact with Europeans.[citation needed] They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

1) They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. In fact, the name of "Tierra del Fuego" (land of fire) is a name given to the island cluster by passing European explorers who witnessed these fires burning.

------

I'm pretty sure nobody is claiming BF uses fire...

While bigfoots, of course, do no use fire (or there'd be evidence of non-human fires throughout their range), let's provide the rest of the list of methods used by the Yahgan in Norseman's citation:

2) They made use of rock formations to shelter themselves from the elements.

3) They covered themselves in animal grease.[citation needed]

4) Over time they had evolved significantly higher metabolisms than average humans, allowing them to generate more internal body heat.[citation needed]

5) Their natural resting position was a deep squatting position, which reduced their surface area and so helped to conserve heat.

I doubt that #2 is relevant, or we'd see a significant number of artificial rock shelters, or ample bigfoot evidence clustered around natural rock formations.

Could bigfoots coat themselves in animal grease? Would this help explain the stench often reported with a purported encounter?

It makes sense that an unclothed primate residing in temperate and subpolar regions would evolve a high metabolic rate. With a massive body and fat layers the heat generated could be retained more successfully than our naked domesticated bodies are able to do.

There seem to be many reports of bigfoots crouching or moving low to the ground. If they frequently assume a squatting position that would help to conserve heat, and it also makes them harder to detect.

Guest RedRatSnake

Hi

Anyone feel like posting some more of those nude native type pictures to show how they have adapted to the cold, i got a slight buzz on and i'm feeling frisky ~

Tim :lol:

My thoughts is that Bigfoot is more adapted to Colder climates, the higher you go up into the Kosciusko National Park here in Australia the larger the physical mass of the species tends to be. With a lesser Surface Area to Volume Ratio means less temperature loss. Take into account also Bigfoot's covering of hair, even without a moulting aspect that insulation could suffice to keep the core temperature at a reasonable level.

Though Australia is Characterised by Hot Weather and deserts, we do have the full gambit of weather extremes ;). In Tasmania in winter it can cold though not to the extremes of snow on the lowlands it does have a winter average maximum of 12°C (52° F). Before Europeans turned up and decimated the population it was not unheard of that The Tasmanian Aborigines went around generally naked with Ochre mixed into Grease as their last defence against the Cold.

So the grease option is a simple, and recurring idea amongst the older indigenous groups. Combine this idea with the General consensus that Bigfoot does not use fire so the Fats from Deer and whatever else they use would not be heat pasteurised so it would become rancid relatively quickly, thus the Pungent odour associated with Bigfoot. Smeared on exposed skin or even applied to fur this would greatly minimise heat loss but more importantly Water loss. That's also assuming Bigfoot doesn't secrete a Lanolin like substance itself.

So to put it into point form here are how I perceive Bigfoot Surviving Winter extremes:

• Migration (away from Cold, and closer to food sources)
  • Fur Layer with Grease/lanolin
  • Small Surface area to Volume Ratio to minimise heat loss

my AU$0.02 lol

Guest Forbig

With winter coming I can't help but wonder. Many stories I've heard about BF is that they have a rather thin coat of hair over the body. So how does BF withstand sub-zero temps in a northern winter? Do they shed like dogs and grow heavier hair in the fall? Do they hole-up in caves? I realize that the answers are just speculation (nobody really knows) but what are your thoughts?

The same way Peguins and Eskimos do they adapt to it.

Don't penguins and native people find different ways of adapting though, and over differing periods of time and many other factors? I don't think the OP was so general as to mean do bf adapt, but rather more specifically how.

Guest RedRatSnake

Hi

You guys are are kinda pushing it with the penguin stuff, i know it's a discussion about adaptation but our north american BF is suppose to be Ape Like, not some sort of hybrid animal fantasy ~

Tim :)

You've never heard a report of multiple bf swaying...not unlike penguins? I thought it was pretty well known, as in an absolute fact, that BF shares 10% - 90%+ of his DNA with penguins.

Guest RedRatSnake

Hi

So that would make most of the sightings with BF swaying in the tree's around the north america area, really sightings of some sort of Penguin ~

Tim :)

:P <Inserting Tongue Firmly in Cheek> :P

"Penguin bigfoot" hmmm.....

moa0.jpg.....

Nope that's the Moa From New Zealand, believed extinct but like the Thylacine has had reported sightings for years...

:P <tongue in normal Position> :P

Though I do understand you are referring that a Primate May have developed similar structures to contend with the cold, not evolved from an ancient Penguin :D