Your Thoughts On How Bf Stays Warm In The North

Guest Kat

Hi

You guys are are kinda pushing it with the penguin stuff, i know it's a discussion about adaptation but our north american BF is suppose to be Ape Like, not some sort of hybrid animal fantasy ~

Tim :)

Not if bigfoot is Aquasquatch....I'm just saying.

Guest RedRatSnake

Hello

" O " i had no idea you guys were going for the Aqua Squatch angle, My Bad ~ Please carry on and disregard my previous post.

Tim :D

19504784.jpg

Guest Dudlow

B) Back in the early 1970s I worked outdoors all year round on a golf course. During my first winter out in the elements, while installing a new system of trenching and drainage improvements on the fairways, I wore a parka and other required clothing. By the second winter of trenching the work crew usually wore only a work shirt outdoors throughout most of the winter months, with not a parka among us, unless it was a really cold day. But even on those cold days we could only stand to wear the parkas for so long before taking them off again, because working steadily built up so much heat. The key was to continuously generate enough heat to offset the cold by keeping an active pace at all times. As I recall, the crew seldom got the sniffles or a cold or the flu during the three winters we did the trenching work. We were healthy as beasts of burden.

The point is that the body soon kicks into action when it realizes it needs an extra layer of subcutaneous fat for warmth. Our human bodies are highly adaptable in that way.

I am reminded of Eskimos who wade out into spring rivers to build fishing weirs. Although the water temperatures must be very close to freezing, the Inuit diet of fat and blubber helps to maintain that thick insulating layer under their skins.

If humans, who spend a good deal of time indoors, can do it, then what would be the problem for animals and manimals who live outdoors all their lives?

- Dudlow

Dudlow,

Yep, back in my roofin' days, I recall bein' up on the roofs doin' snow/ice removal at times it was so frickin' cold with the windchill it wasn't funny, an yet there I was in a sweatshirt or longsleeve t-shirt, sweat freezin' to it as well as the steam comin' off me.

Pat...

I see shelters and they probably used fire... from the article you reference:

-------

The Yahgan did not wear clothes until their contact with Europeans.[citation needed] They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

1) They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. In fact, the name of "Tierra del Fuego" (land of fire) is a name given to the island cluster by passing European explorers who witnessed these fires burning.

------

I'm pretty sure nobody is claiming BF uses fire...

Correct, but Native Americans do not have much body hair either.

So I see it as a trade off..........naked Homo Sapien uses fire and shelter to regulate body temp. Mr. Squatch cannot make fire, but relies on his furry nature and shelter when the weather turns rather bad.

It's really not a giant hurdle for even humans to overcome, so I think a Squatch would do just fine in pretty extreme climates.

Admin

hummm... I'll agree that we disagree and leave it at that. We'll find out one day and hopefully, I'm wrong.

hummm... I'll agree that we disagree and leave it at that. We'll find out one day and hopefully, I'm wrong.

You disagree that Squatch cannot live in extreme climates? Or?

• 3 weeks later...

i think the north america bigfoot is like the yeti or abominable snowman of asia. its somehow able to deal with the cold temperatures. all that fur and thick skin must help out, sort of like the moose, elk and other cold weather animals.

Guest TooRisky

Even humans can become adapted to the cold.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Yaghan_people

2627365954_def580a257.jpg

If the Yaghans had as much body hair as a Squatch? They could have sailed their canoes south and settled in Antarctica... :)

Add-on to the above: Ref Wikipedia This band of people made life on the frigid Cape Horn, this is an extraordinary story of survival and show that BF may not need much to survive in a harsh climate... Excellent reference find Norseman...

The Yahgan may have been driven to this inhospitable area by enemies to the north, but were famed for their complete indifference to the bitter weather around Cape Horn.[3] Although they had fire and small domed shelters, they routinely went about completely naked in the frigid cold and biting wind of Tierra del Fuego, and swam (women only) in its 48-degree-south waters.[4] They would often sleep in the open completely unsheltered and unclothed while Europeans shivered under their blankets.[5] A Chilean researcher claimed their average body temperature was warmer than a European's by at least one degree.[6]

Adaptations to climate

The Yahgan did not wear clothes until their contact with Europeans.[citation needed] They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

1) They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. In fact, the name of "Tierra del Fuego" (land of fire) is a name given to the island cluster by passing European explorers who witnessed these fires burning.

2) They made use of rock formations to shelter themselves from the elements.

3) They covered themselves in animal grease.[citation needed]

4) Over time they had evolved significantly higher metabolisms than average humans, allowing them to generate more internal body heat.[citation needed]

5) Their natural resting position was a deep squatting position, which reduced their surface area and so helped to conserve heat.[2]