Some Things About Bf That I Think Are Nonsense

I wanna believe that squatches are real. I've never seen one, but I buy into most of the stories and evidence. There are some aspects that seem like they are thrown in for an excuse or to enhance the legend. Just my opinion, see if y'all agree.

1. Bigfoot knows what a camera is and can avoid them. It is absurd to believe this. It is an excuse for someone's failure to capture them. There are reports of trail cams being turned around. Easy fix- put 2 out facing each other, you'll be sure to catch something.

2. Shapeshifters. I am part Cherokee, and even I don't lend an ounce if belief toward this theory.

3. Bigfoot knows what firearms are. I don't think they have a clue what that thing in your hand is unless it gets shot first.

4. Kinda goes with 3. Bigfoot can get shot and still survive unharmed. Bull. If it bleeds, you can kill it.

5. Bigfoot doesnt use fire because it doesn't need it/ doesn't want to be detected. I believe they are unable to harness and use it, not that they dont want it.

6. Bigfoot interacting with humans. The Carter story. The Ostamn story. Some accounts on BFF of "friendly" associations with the creatures. I don't buy it.

Only my opinion. You think I am off?

I wanna believe that squatches are real. I've never seen one, but I buy into most of the stories and evidence. There are some aspects that seem like they are thrown in for an excuse or to enhance the legend. Just my opinion, see if y'all agree.

1. Bigfoot knows what a camera is and can avoid them. It is absurd to believe this. It is an excuse for someone's failure to capture them. There are reports of trail cams being turned around. Easy fix- put 2 out facing each other, you'll be sure to catch something.

2. Shapeshifters. I am part Cherokee, and even I don't lend an ounce if belief toward this theory.

3. Bigfoot knows what firearms are. I don't think they have a clue what that thing in your hand is unless it gets shot first.

4. Kinda goes with 3. Bigfoot can get shot and still survive unharmed. Bull. If it bleeds, you can kill it.

5. Bigfoot doesnt use fire because it doesn't need it/ doesn't want to be detected. I believe they are unable to harness and use it, not that they dont want it.

6. Bigfoot interacting with humans. The Carter story. The Ostamn story. Some accounts on BFF of "friendly" associations with the creatures. I don't buy it.

Yes, The nonsensical can be thrown out.

However, BF is a real creature, very intelligent, so don't think too little of him ever.. :ph34r:

I am in a unique position to chose which of your posts stays and which one goes, depending on which one I respond to. The power is intoxicating!

Anyways, I agree with most of what you said. I also think it is absurd to think that Bigfoot knows anything about human technology; cameras, firearms, etc. I think a better explanation is that Bigfoot has a HUGE area to roam free, and humans only venture into a sliver of that area... the odds of coming across one are very, very slim. Even if we go two or three miles in to put our trailcams, that is still basically the outskirts of where they live. You have to be lucky enough to catch one that is venturing out to the edge of their world.

Shapeshifters- bunk. Doesn't even really merit discussion IMO.

Getting shot and surviving- could be, but humans can get shot and survive as well. If they are much bigger and stronger than us, then it stands to reason that they could survive a shot that might kill us. This does not mean they are in any way "indestructible" or anything of the sort.

Fire- Bigfoot is an animal that lives outdoors and can survive the elements, eats raw meat, and likely has no predators. What use does it have for fire?

Interaction with humans- the jury is still out on this one for me, though I find it HIGHLY unlikely. However, I do believe that if they do exist they are likely the most intelligent non-human animals on the planet, so I do not dismiss this idea out-of-hand.

To me, I think the most likely explanation is the simplest one: Bigfoot is an animal who has made a life in the habitats which we do not frequent, which is why we don't come across each other for the most part. Of course it does happen, and I think the rare Bigfoot that gets a glimpse of a human is just as surprised and curious by the encounter as is the rare human that encounters a Bigfoot. As a species, the overwhelming majority of Bigfoot(s?) have no idea we exist, and vice versa.

Ya, sorry for the double post. Mods, can you merge please?

I think the main use of fire would be for warmth. Mankind didn't need it, but someone figured out how to harness it and we never looked back. Someone should put one of those big patio heaters out in the woods, or a heat lamp hanging off a tree in the middle of winter. Point a trail cam at it, and I bet you'd see a squatch cuddled up under it.

Guest Luckyfoot

Agreed.

Another claim I have a hard time believing are the psychic claims. That it can talk to you w/o speaking. I don't think Bigfoot will end up haveing any kind of super powers.

Even cats and dogs learn aversion to something that they perceive as a threat. Google Pavlov's dogs for more info on that. Bigfoot may not understand what guns and cameras are exactly but may recognize them as a threat of some kind. As for cameras, the flash of any camera using incandescent lighting will mess up your night vision and it takes several minutes for rhodopsin to refill the rods to get your night vision back. All eyes work basically the same regardless of range, the debate continues regarding the infrared visual spectrum for bigfoot, so who knows? It may not matter what type of flash is involved, if the bigfoot has had a previous bad experience with a camera, they will avoid it just the same, taking no chances on being blinded for several minutes when survival is the primary goal.

Guns- same principle, learned aversion behavior and it probably would not matter what it is that you are carrying. If it is long and metal, you would probably get the same reaction. There was a report of a couple searching for relics with metal detectors that had an encounter with bigfoot. It seems the bigfoot was afraid of the devices they were carrying. So, no, I don't think they know what guns are, just that they are bad news. Wounding one depends on the gun, I imagine, if they happen to have thicker bones and flesh than we do, all you will get is a grazing wound. People do not realize this because it is not politically correct to point this out, but different races have different thicknesses of bone, a head shot that would kill a man of one race, might not of another.

Shapeshifting-I doubt they can actually morph, but who knows what kind of EMF they can throw at you to create the illusion in your mind, assuming they can even do that....

Fire- not hardly, or I would imagine forest fires would be a much bigger problem than they currently are.

Jodie, I get what you are saying, but wouldn't that only apply to an animal who has already seen a metal stick go "Boom"? I'm sure that if one saw what a firearm could do he would never forget it, and would quite likely be scared of anything he saw a human carrying from then on, but again I think the vast majority has never seen a human and doesn't know they exist... a man carrying a gun looks just like a fellow squatch carrying a branch.

As far as a camera, you do make a good point about the flash. I could imagine that a flash in the night would be quite startling, and would end my curiosity and cause me to avoid it. I don't know about turning them around, but I could see a deliberate avoidance of cameras if they are messing with their eyes.

As far as the forest fires, I picture "Smokey the Squatch" pointing and saying "Only you can prevent forest fires" :lol:

The cameras and guns, I can see if they have experience with one. But experience with one would mean there is a picture or shot squatch out there. We humans do dumb stuff and get caught on security cameras all the time. Squatches do not "know" what a camera is. Or what it does. They do not know what a picture is.

I would add psychic ability to my list as well, thanks for suggesting.

Yes, The nonsensical can be thrown out.

However, BF is a real creature, very intelligent, so don't think too little of him ever.. :ph34r:

The magic of language is that we can pass our learning experiences along to the group. That gives a strong advantage in the competition to stay alive.The question that should be on the list in my opinion is "Do BF have the ability to communicate abstract ideas to one another"? If so it gives possible explanations for several of the other points.... how would they know about technology and such.

The first encounters bigfoot have had with settlers or non-native americans were ones most likely armed, while I agree they don't know exactly what guns are I am more than sure they know the damage they can do. it's probably one of the first things it learned about us if you think about it. Like I said back in the 1800's and early 1900's any encounter bigfoot had with us was in the wilderness, and how many settlers, loggers, trappers and what have you spent time in the wide open unarmed?

Guest Crowlogic

I agree with everything in the OP. Most of the special qualities attributed to bigfoot are excuses for why they can't be found and or documented properly. But I'll take it one step further to include tat there are no bigfoot left to have either normal qualities or special qualities.

I think the point was that he would like to spark some kind of discussion, and that if you think he's off he would like to hear why you disagree.

I don't see how it contributes at all to the thread to announce that you think his opinion is wrong and ask him what his point is. It comes across as unnecessarily combative... perhaps that's what you were going for.

I do not believe that they shape shift or able able to communicate with humans using telepathic communication.

I also do not believe that they know what cameras and guns are.........But I have always believed it is the "action / movement of raising" a camera or a gun that can trigger a flight response.

Good example, I've had a deer walk up within several feet of me while I was in cammo, she looked right at me, knew something was up. She never moved until I started to raise up, she was gone in a heart beat, lol.

• masterbarber locked and unlocked this topic
  • masterbarber locked this topic