Peer Review, The Scientific Arguments And Cross Applying To Bigfoot

Suppose a peer reviewed study was published confirming unknown hominid DNA in the forests of North America. Let's say it was a study of a drop of blood. No hairy flesh. No unusual hairs. No video or photographic evidence.

Would you consider it a significant discovery? Would it really be unreasonable to speculate on the origins of the blood?

Not really significant without the body. How do we know it isn't a chupacabra? or a scientific experiment with enginerred DNA?

Guest slimwitless

I've never heard of a chupacabra being described with ape-like characteristics. Wouldn't it be unknown canid or something? I also don't think we're sophisticated enough to create hominid DNA. In any case, Ketchum has more than blood. There are samples with observable morphology. For instance, one of the co-authors is a hair and fiber expert.

Unknown hominid implies a great deal. As I said before, we wouldn't know if it had big feet and smelled bad but we would know where it fit in the tree life.

I've never heard of a chupacabra being described with ape-like characteristics. Wouldn't it be unknown canid or something? I also don't think we're sophisticated enough to create hominid DNA. In any case, Ketchum has more than blood. There are samples with observable morphology. For instance, one of the co-authors is a hair and fiber expert.

Unknown hominid implies a great deal. As I said before, we wouldn't know if it had big feet and smelled bad but we would know where it fit in the tree life.

http://cryptozoo.monstrous.com/description_of_chupacabra.htm

This describes them as bipedal and scaly rather than dog-like. I've heard numerous descriptions though and don't take any for gospel. Just saying we don't really know the provenance of the material and so can not justifiably claim it is bigfoot DNA. Even if it is close to human it could still be chupacabra for all we know.

As for faking hominid DNA I don't think it's necessarily too difficult. Take one human stem cell and modify it with some chimpanzee DNA and voila instant monster. The DNA doesn't even really have to function. You wouldn't need to grow the organism. Just get some growth and set the conditions to produce skin or blood and there you go. There are even successful experiments growing meat in a culture rather than on the hoof. This stuff could be applied to produce an apparent hominin. I think it is unlikely but it is possible. It just takes one mad genius to carry it out. This would appeal to some mad scientist types.